Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
spawn/bulk grow questions
    #3598638 - 01/08/05 03:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Love this forum and the growers who raise sacred mushroom growing consciousness.
New to the bulk grow scene.
Would appreciate any information regarding the following questions:

1. After grain spawn is fully colonized, how long do I have before I have to use? (rye grain used, quart jars, polyfill lid) I've had the jar for about two weeks fully colonized. It's starting to get slight yellowing at the bottom, which I believe is mycelial by-products.

2. I have three other jars that never fully colonized, all prepared the same way as the first. The grain is these jars shows a bit of mycelial growth over them but not fully. One jar has a chunk of fully colonized grain, but the rest is grain with slight mycelial growth but no mycelial networking between the pieces of grain. Would using this grain spawn only open me up to contamination in my bulk straw/dung grow or would it provide a nutritious base and be resistant to contamination enough because of the slight mycelial growth?

3. How long after a tub of straw/dung is colonized does it need to be cased? I ask because I'm going out of town for a week and my tub might fully colonize while I'm gone. How long after full colonization after casing does it need to be fruited?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: spawn/bulk grow questions [Re: oysterspawn]
    #3598751 - 01/08/05 04:02 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

1)it's been fully colonized for two weeks? the spawn's ready then.

2)i never use anything that's not fully colonized. you could leave it and hope it colonizes... but i wouldn't use it as spawn as is... uncolonized sections are prone to contaminates.

3)your tub doesn't neccessarily need to be cased, but casing it will increase your yield alot if done right. as long as the spawn is left in the dark, unopened, i don't see how it's going to get pinning triggers. it'll probably be ready to case when you get back.

i'm pretty sure i'm right here, but as always, wait for some other people with more bulk experience to chime in.

"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: spawn/bulk grow questions [Re: oysterspawn]
    #3598844 - 01/08/05 04:30 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Your jar of spawn will keep for a very long time. I've put jars of colonized WBS in my fridge and then used them for spawn nearly a year later. Drying can be a problem so you might seal the filter. I had some Shitake dry out and die on me after a few months.

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation