Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Pasta Pet Peeves
    #3586576 - 01/05/05 10:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Some things that bother me...

I am sure that some of you out there add oil to your pasta water. Stop it! It is a waste of oil. If your pasta is sticking, then use a bigger pot, stir it when you add it, or put it into the sauce pan IMMEDIATELY after straining. Letting the pasta sit can make it sticky.
Oil in the water will coat the pasta and cause the sauce to drip off.

Stop breaking the noodles. If you are using spaghetti, do not break the damn noodles. You bought them that long, so use them that long. If you want smaller pieces, buy a different noodle. Get your salted water boiling and add the noodles whole. Stir until they become soft and submerge themselves.

Feel free to add to this...

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Pasta Pet Peeves [Re: daimyo]
    #3586658 - 01/05/05 10:25 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Aaaaaaaaaamen

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Invisibletwonewtz
lot lizzard

Loc: middle of the road
Re: Pasta Pet Peeves [Re: GabbaDj]
    #3587214 - 01/06/05 12:58 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yup, don't rinse dem noodles off!

--------------------
absolutely statistically

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Pasta Pet Peeves [Re: twonewtz]
    #3588967 - 01/06/05 12:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

strain, then season.

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

#3589576 - 01/06/05 04:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ACTUALLY

you do want to season the water- with a little bit of salt.

And you do want to add just a tiny bit of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) to pasta after it's been strained to prevent sticking.... true too much oil will cause sauce to slide off, but a little bit won't affect it much

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Pasta Pet Peeves [Re: StonedShroom]
    #3589651 - 01/06/05 04:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Never said anything against salting the water. Sometimes I even use garlic salt.

Still, no oil. If you add your strained, still hot pasta to a pan of heated sauce and mix thoroughly, not only will the noodles absorb more sauce, they will also not stick.

Like this...Add cold water to a big pot. 4 quarts per pound is my guideline. Add some salt. Any kind of salt will work, but remember that the noodles will absorb some of this flavor. Cover and bring to a boil. While this is coming to a boil add your sauce to a large pan and heat. When the water is boiling add noodles and cook to desired level. Strain and add to sauce pan. Toss and serve hot. No stick, no oil, all love.

Now if you are going to be making more noodles than you will consume, then you may want to use a little oil like this...Cook as above, but only add what you will consume to the sauce pan. Put the rest in a container, toss with a little oil, store. To reheat noodles, bring water to boil and add noodles for 1-2 mins. Strian and add to sauce pan.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

#3589700 - 01/06/05 04:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ahhh

I see... you're mixing the sauce with the noodles... no oil needed in that case

a lot of people (like me) serve spaghetti like a pile of plain noodles with the sauce over it...

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3593227 - 01/07/05 10:35 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Indeed... I also do not mix immediately with sauce.

However, I don't oil either.

I just add a bit of butter after straining.. works just fine, and makes it taste better too.

Oh, and I always salt the water... that's a must for proper flavor.

My only pet peeve about pasta is when people overcook it. I like pasta al dente, or just slightly under so it's got the slightest bit of crunch to it still.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Pasta Pet Peeves [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3593619 - 01/07/05 12:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting. I think I'll set up a poll in the pub to see who mixes and who serves on top. Maybe I'll throw in something about nationality as well.

The overcooked noodles...you'd be surprised at how many "Italian" restaurants around here manage to do that lol.

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #3594141 - 01/07/05 03:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

For me it depends on the pasta dish I'm making. If I'm making some Spaghetti alla Carbonara or Amatriciana, I'll pull the noodles out just a few moments before its al dente and cook it in the sauce before plating it. If its just like meat sauce or basic tomato sauce, I'll just pour it on top, because I usually make a lot of tomato sauce at once.

I have this 3 gallon stock pot that I always make my pasta in. I always use at least a gallon of water, even if its 1/4lb of pasta I'm cooking. Gotta salt the water, and I never use any oil. Overcooking so the pasta is mushy is another pet peeve of mine.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pasta Pet Peeves [Re: daussaulit]
    #3594549 - 01/07/05 04:25 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, mushy pasta is pretty gross.

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#3594946 - 01/07/05 05:47 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

what i do is after i've put the pasta into the colander to drain, i add a little sauce to it and stir it around.  :thumbup:  that's easiest to me.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #3600513 - 01/08/05 09:02 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

StonedShroom said:
ahhh

I see... you're mixing the sauce with the noodles... no oil needed in that case

a lot of people (like me) serve spaghetti like a pile of plain noodles with the sauce over it...

NO.... Well that may be what he does..

Me I boil my noodles and then rinse while I strain so that all the water starch is washed away..

Now youve got noodles that will cool rapidly and act like a sponge.. They will suck on each other and suck more starch out of each other if you dont act fast.

Soooo what I do is add one ladle of sauce too the noodles and stir.. This does the trick.. It turns the noodles sort of red and keeps them from sticking together, also gives them a bit of flavor.

I ONLY serve my spaghetti noodles with sauce on top BUT the the best way Ive found to make the noodles is to add no oil to the boiling (which does nothing to keep them from sticking during cooking), add little salt cuz your sauce should be the only salt you can taste and when the noodles go into the strainer, run some hot water over them to wash away the starch, then add just a bit of sauce to let the noodles soak it up as they cool...

Im also a fanatic about NEVER letting a sauce boil and ALWAYS make your meatballs separate.. Only heat them in the sauce for 10 minutes and still dont let it boil...

Boiled tomato sauce just sucks for spaghetti.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Invisiblechinadoll
there
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of terrapin
    #3604031 - 01/09/05 03:04 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

This is the first time I've ever heard spaghetti referred to as noodles. Aren't noodles flat?

My pet peeve is people who add grated cheese to spaghetti with fish sauces.

People add oil to the water to prevent the pasta from sticking in the pot. If the water is boiling rapidly when the pasta is added and is stirred frequently until the water returns to a boil.

I never add oil to the water or the cooked pasta. I do as Gabba does. BTW Gabba, do you fry your meat until it's cooked through?

--------------------
Just a little nervous from the fall.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Pasta Pet Peeves [Re: chinadoll]
    #3604742 - 01/09/05 05:44 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Noodles, spaghetti, pasta, its all macaroni lol. Macaroni and gravy as grandma would say.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale