Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAgaricus
Stranger
 User Gallery

PMP Problems/Question
    #3594297 - 01/07/05 03:41 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Whats up!? This is my first post here at the shroomery, but I have been lurking around for the past couple of years soaking up a wealth of knowledge. It seems you all have a good scene here with lots of kind folk. So Greetings to all... A friend of mine is working on his second grow and has decided to construct a PMP. This consisted of a 30 gallon tub with a fabricated plexi-glass lid. In this tub he added two 23" bubble walls, pushed by a dual aquarium pump with in line filters capable of 72 G/hr. He covered the bubble walls with 3" of hydroton and 2 1/2" water. After 12 hours the hygrometer read 72%rH. So he remembered reading somewhere that more hydroton would wick the extra moisture he needed into the air and added another inch. The rH will still not go beyond 75%. And another quick question while on the topic, the temperature stays around 62-68F and it is not economical to heat the rest of the house to a higher temperature. Would adding a fish tank heater possibly be the solution and in turn raise the humidity? And if so could one just place it among the hydroton in the bottom of the tub or would you need to avoid direct contact. If anybody has any advice/suggestions it would be much appreciated.

-peace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
Re: PMP Problems/Question [Re: Agaricus]
    #3594384 - 01/07/05 03:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

First of all, what kind of hygrometer do you use? If it's an analog one then it's probably not reading accurately. If it digital, what kind is it, how much did it cost, etc. It's hard to find a good hygrometer and that might be the problem. Do you see water condensation on the sides and/or the lid of your PMP? Does it appear humid in there?

An aquarium heater will work. You can look into building a Tub in Tub (TiT) or you could just put the heater in a bottle of water inside your existing PMP. There are many heating solutions. You'll find them by reading some of the teks (which you seem to have done) and by searching previous posts to find the solution that suits you best.

Welcome to the shroomery!

--------------------

OfflineAgaricus
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: PMP Problems/Question [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3594476 - 01/07/05 04:11 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The hygrometer is a cheap clock/temp/humidity hardware store variety. My friend was in question of its accuracy so he is currently calibrating it using the salt/water method. There is a fine mist of condensation on the walls going about 5" above the hydroton. When you say I should look into building a TiT(which he has for incubation and works wonderfully), are you saying that placing the heater below the water line among the hydroton is not a viable option. Thanks for the advice, and glad to be part of your community.

-peace

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3594580 - 01/07/05 04:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

the mist on the walls is an indicator that there is water inside. But it is no guarantee that one has good RH.
Hence the dropplets form when there is difference in temp between in- and outside the tub.

--------------------

Offlineindigo758
psyentist

Re: PMP Problems/Question [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3594627 - 01/07/05 04:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

When you get a fish tank heater, find one that has the thermometer separate from the heater and the adjuster. That way you can put the therm inside the PMP and put the heater insided a jar of water or underneath the hydroton. As for which is better, I have experience with neither. I use one heating pad underneath the outside of both my PMPs.

--------------------
please allow me to introduce myself, i'm a man of wealth and taste...

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3594631 - 01/07/05 04:40 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not sure which salt/water method of calibration you're refering to. I know that you can put salt in a ziploc bag along with the hygrometer. The salt is supposed the keep the RH of the bag at 75% and you can do this to check the accuracy of the hygrometer.

Keep in mind though that they higher the humidity gets, the more inaccurate the reading becomes. With most digital hygros in the $40-$60 price range they are usually accurate to +/-3% between 25% and 75% RH. Then as the RH gets above 75% they usually are rated at being accrate to +/- 5% to 7%. You would need to check the manufacturer's website for the specs on your specific model to be certain though.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates