Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Just a thought.............
    #3590016 - 01/06/05 07:44 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

With all the problem that elderly people are faced with these days, from Alzheimer's to Cancer, and many other degenerative diseases; I've kind of been wondering if human's are meant to live as long as our lifespans have been averaging lately.

People always are striving towards ways to make their lives just a little longer, but in the long run, how much does it make a difference? Shouldn't we be striving to make our lives better during our primes instead of pulling out a few more years at the end of our lives (which will probably be spent senile and in bed)?

With the lack of resources and space on Earth, doesn't it seem obvious that we just weren't meant to be alive for upwards of 100 years? All these diseases that inflict the elderly are just our bodies breaking down b/c they are being pushed beyond their limits. I bet if you looked back 200 years, our life expectancy would be much lower, but so would cases of cancer and other degenerative diseases.

Just my $.02

:shrug:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Just a thought............. [Re: Redstorm]
    #3590042 - 01/06/05 07:47 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

My goal, ever since I was 13, was to complete everything I wish to complete in my life by age 60. I absolutly do not want to live past 65. But that depends on how my life is going, what kinda positive energy I am giving towards my community, and things like that. But just in case, I will have everything accomplished by age 60. I don't want to be just gimpin along at 70 and barely hangin on at 80. Just doesn't seem like my way of living.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Just a thought............. [Re: DNKYD]
    #3590051 - 01/06/05 07:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

That's exactly how I feel. Why drag out the years when you can put that effort into making your prime more efficient.

Btw, can someone move this to S&P?

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3592479 - 01/07/05 06:17 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Another possible explanation could be that people lived much less healthy than people do today. Working conditions have improved (safety measures, health guidelines), a lot of coal mines have been shut down, food is less scarce, food supplements are marketed, and the idea that smoking is unrelated to health was debunked.

If you don't live long enough, you won't get a chance to get cancer or degenerative diseases. Medical screenings have improved too.

I do agree with your basic stance, though. I don't expect to accomplish anything besides visiting places and seeing sights when I'm older than 65.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Just a thought............. [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3593324 - 01/07/05 01:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

[b"]I don't expect to accomplish anything besides visiting places and seeing sights when I'm older than 65."

"I absolutly do not want to live past 65."

You guys are pathetic. There was a taiji master named TT Liang who lived to be 102, and he claimed life began at 70. Christ, the guy only started getting serious about training in his 50s and he went to university and got a degree when he was in his 80s.

Basically your cultural conditioning has given you really sad views on the elderly. Diaper-clad unhappy neglected senile old man doesn't have to be you. I've met a martial arts master in his eighties who, though he's tiny and frail, when he starts moving he seems to get a foot taller and his limbs move with the power of a swinging wrecking ball. No joke. Ageing is not to be feared, not if you know how to do it well.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3593516 - 01/07/05 02:14 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

we should be seeking to prolong our lives and increase the quality of our lives at all stages of development/age.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Just a thought............. [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3594708 - 01/07/05 06:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

ive allways said live life to the fullest extent and die before your 65 becuase the last 10-15-20 years of your life suck anyways, i was once considering staring an anarchial uprising in my town on my 60th birthday, you know, recruite a bunch of kids and steak sime tanks and shit, and then just start smoking a whole bunch of crack or maybe injecting a shitload of speedball and just go completely overboard, whilst completly wasted and go out with a bang.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

Offlineincubaby_421
 User Gallery

#3594714 - 01/07/05 06:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

BTW redstorm is your avatar supposed to look like he man is having anal sex while being choked, becuase thats what it looks like.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Just a thought............. [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3594783 - 01/07/05 07:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

"the last 10-15-20 years of your life suck anyways"

often yes. not always. my grandparents are 70 and 75, respectively and still happy and healthy. they go south for vacation every year, live outside a home, have each other, and a gorgeous cabin on the waterfront.

I fully intend to still be happy, healthy and learning at 85 -95 and medical technology might make it not only possible, but likely.

I like your idea about getting into hard drugs as an elder tho,, except your average old man would croak after one crack hit.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

OfflineAsanteA
flip-flop magician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
    #3594911 - 01/07/05 07:39 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

People die of something, eventually they must.

But the wretched diseases that plague the westerners and make their latter days so gloomy are for a large part self-inflicted.

Take the advent of white sugar. (cane/beet sugar)
Humans ate 3 pounds a year or so of the stuff up to 3oo years ago.. today it is closer to 300.

A two-liter bottle of soda/lemonade/cola drinks contains over half a pound of pure refined sugar. Considering the fact it gives thirst, more then a few people chug the entire bottle over a night of TV or Internet. And you should chug 2 liters if your body feel the need.. but not of an acidic drink who's toxic level of sugar caused the thirst in the first place.

Grains, (like wheat) potatoes and beans are toxic if you eat it raw. That's right: eating supermarket flour or beans that are uncookewd can make you violently ill because they contain toxins known as "lectins".
They also are the main staple food for most humans for a short period of time in our evolution (only 500 generations)
They also are the only suddenly abundant sources of starch, which is nothing but dehydrated glucose (grape sugar)

And now we eat 300 grams of sugars a DAY.

Sugars are directly and indisputably linked with cardiovascular disease (our main cause of death) Elderly (type II) diabetes (a major cause of limb-loss), rheumatic diseases and creating lots of free-radicals which are detrimental to our bodies during their particupation in our energy cycle.

Then theres tons of food additives, like Tartrazine, that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, but we are almost forced to consume them as they are "everywhere".

My point: much things that make elderly life hell are caused by replacing good vitamin/mineral/amino acid/cis-fats natural food (that once lived) and replaced it with stuff that tastes great and contains huge calories, but little else.
80% of westerners walk around with a deficit in one or more vits & mins and people develop scurvy again!

So part of the Secret to Old Age those grinning 100+ yo geezers in China have isn't this secret herbal tonic concoction but rather because they didn't eat or drink the shite that may be sitting on your computer table right now!

If you look at people who "live by the book" many pas the age of 100. But western culture eats very unhealthy and this alone accounts for many deaths and diseases in our elderly.
Few young people strive to become 100 if you look at their food pattern and exercise habits.

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

Offlineincubaby_421
 User Gallery

Re: Just a thought............. [Re: Asante]
    #3595311 - 01/07/05 09:15 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

yeah moonshoe, i know that a lot of elders live perfectly healthy lives, but with my current pack a day and fast food habits thats not a likely path for me, im sure ill be able to handle at LEAST two hits of crack. lol

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Just a thought............. [Re: DNKYD]
    #3596478 - 01/08/05 01:43 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DNKYD said:
My goal, ever since I was 13, was to complete everything I wish to complete in my life by age 60. I absolutly do not want to live past 65.

"my goal is to complete all my goals by age 60."

huh?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology