Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Lovecraft Story
    #3589831 - 01/06/05 06:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I ate about 3:30 - if slipping these wretched food tablets through my mask can be called eating. Soon after that I noticed a decided change in the landscape - the bright, poisonous-looking flowers shifting in colour and getting wraith-like. The outlines of everything shimmered rhythmically, and bright points of light appeared and danced in the same slow, steady tempo. After that the temperature seemed to fluctuate in unison with a peculiar rhythmic drumming.

The whole universe seemed to be throbbing in deep, regular pulsations that filled every corner of space and flowed through my body and mind alike. I lost all sense of equilibrium and staggered dizzily, nor did it change things in the least when I shut my eyes and covered my ears with my hands. However, my mind was still clear, and in a very few minutes I realized what had happened.

I had encountered at last one of those curious mirage-plants about which so many of our men told stories. Anderson had warned me of them, and described their appearance very closely - the shaggy stalk, the spiky leaves, and the mottled blossoms whose gaseous, dream-breeding exhalations penetrate every existing make of mask.

Recalling what happened to Bailey three years ago, I fell into a momentary panic, and began to dash and stagger about in the crazy, chaotic world which the plant's exhalations had woven around me. Then good sense came back, and I realized all I need do was retreat from the dangerous blossoms - heading away from the source of the pulsations, and cutting a path blindly - regardless of what might seem to swirl around me - until safely out of the plant's effective radius.

Although everything was spinning perilously, I tried to start in the right direction and hack my way ahead. My route must have been far from straight, for it seemed hours before I was free of the mirage-plant's pervasive influence. Gradually the dancing lights began to disappear, and the shimmering spectral scenery began to assume the aspect of solidity. When I did get wholly clear I looked at my watch and was astonished to find that the time was only 4:20. Though eternities had seemed to pass, the whole experience could have consumed little more than a half-hour.

Read the whole story at http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~wcoburn/hpl/eryx.html

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
Re: Lovecraft Story [Re: Ravus]
    #3590379 - 01/06/05 08:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Is that an excerpt from "The Color From Space?

--------------------

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
Re: Lovecraft Story [Re: nonoman]
    #3590419 - 01/06/05 09:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Nope. Damn.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Lovecraft Story [Re: nonoman]
    #3590764 - 01/06/05 10:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

"Within the Walls of Eryx."

I noticed the 4:20 reference with a hallucinogenic spikey leaved plant in the News section, it's a good story also.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Lovecraft Story [Re: Ravus]
    #3590940 - 01/06/05 11:06 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Indeed it is a good story. I love all of his works, although "The Mountains of the Moon" is a particular favorite of mine....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub