Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefranco_on
Chefie McGaggie

Loc: T dot, If you do not know...
Fork in the road of my life
    #3587287 - 01/06/05 01:22 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all,
Only been here a short while but I have found most of you to usually have a good take on a question. I am seeking advice in my life and have been talking to friends and family about this.

I recently graduated culinary school. I have to diplomas; one in food and beverage management, the other in culinary chef training (taken at college level, not university). I had been working in the industry sometime when I entered the college and continued to work in industry during that time (2 years or so of school). I find myself here and now dissatisfied with my work and my career choice. As well I do not think I could handle the stress or physicality of it. I love food and I love cooking for people, but I cannot see myself doing it for the rest of my life.

This has led me to change my situation. I am seeking to either go back to school come September, this time for university or travel. I am researching programs and I cannot say for sure what I would like to enter. I cannot enter into hard sciences due to not having the prerequisites. If I were to enter into science I would require 1-2 more years to get proper courses, as well I am not sure if I am capable or interested in doing so.

'Get the fuck out of the country and go anywhere. Find yourself, or at the very least not what you do not want to do.' is what has been suggested. If I were to leave I would probably aim to do so in September or so and go 2-6 months. Location is unknown as of yet.

So I guess this is my dilemma.
1) Go to university. University is 4 years of my life, plus possible post-grad studies. I could not say for sure that I would know exactly what I should go into and ultimately may switch programs after a year or two.

2) Travel, try to discover myself, lose a year of my life, but gain so much more. I am only 23.

I think writing this I have clarified this to myself a bit better. Maybe I do not need as much of everyone?s input as I thought. Travel is probably best. It is just that I feel like I change my mind everyday and kind of stressed about this. I want it put to bed. Maybe If I knew where to go it would help. South America and/or south pacific are calling (both have great shrooms in the wild :P). Any suggestions on where to go? I do not want to go to Europe due to expense and I do not believe it to be as fulfilling. Kind of want to see the 3rd world. Understand what the fuck this is all about.

Thank you all

Have a safe journey through life,
Chef

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Fork in the road of my life [Re: franco_on]
    #3587382 - 01/06/05 01:54 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You are so young!!!  I am 46!  I still am young!  (No, according to you people who are twenty-something, I am an old fuck. :grin: )

Go travel for a year, and then when you come back, go to school.  No harm, no foul.  I started school when I was 32. 

Look, if you were one of my kids (my oldest is 26), I would tell you to get school out of the way before you do anything else.  Just fucking do it and get it over with. 

However, you are not one of my kids, so I'm being polite, because I know it's more fun to travel than to go to school.

Go to school and get it over with.  Where ever it is to which you want to travel will still be there when you are done with school.

JUST DO IT!!!

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinefranco_on
Chefie McGaggie

Re: Fork in the road of my life [Re: Frog]
    #3587422 - 01/06/05 02:05 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have changed college programs 3 times already till i graudated F&B mang. then proceeded to take culinary.  I would not be so up in the air about going back to school if it were not for the fact I would be afraid a year from now I would be back to square one and not like what I was taking and 4500$ gone and a year of life wasted.  I do not think I know myself well enough to chose my program.

Quote:

Look, if you were one of my kids (my oldest is 26), I would tell you to get school out of the way before you do anything else. Just fucking do it and get it over with.

sound like my mother.

Quote:

-Go travel for a year, and then when you come back, go to school. No harm, no foul. I started school when I was 32.
-Go to school and get it over with. Where ever it is to which you want to travel will still be there when you are done with school.

confused where you stand on this issue?

oh and I do not consider you an old, if anything women are like a bottle of wine, get better with age. :cheers:

Offlineonlyme
Stranger
Loc: here
    #3587468 - 01/06/05 02:20 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That travel bug will get you good...

I graduated university in 2000, then went to Europe for two years, and then to Asia for a little less than a year....

And still don't know what i want to do.

May you find whatever it is that you want to do. Just remember that the decision that you make WILL be the right one.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3587480 - 01/06/05 02:23 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I hope you soon find a spoon and plates too.
many more forks and settings coming.

personally I do not advocate travelling unless you have a whack of extra dough lying around or are stuck in a tiny town.

My philosophy on this issue is stay in school(s) as long as possible whatever the course(s), regardless of how many majors you visit along the way.

definitely pick up some sciences too, what ever you can stand.

The whole thing about kids being able to tell what they want to do in life is absolute mlarkey, nobody knows (almost nobody) what's even going on (for 50 or 60 years), how can they possibly decide what they want to do? (then the world - technology and politics - keeps changing the rules)

Mostly luck is what places you in a good job - luck and inclination and interest.

Surprisingly the more degrees you get the more people will pay to have you sit at a desk (later on) or to be a consultant on some issues (more fun generally and better pay).

So keep burning bright is all I can say.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3587557 - 01/06/05 02:54 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

franco_on said:
Quote:

-Go travel for a year, and then when you come back, go to school. No harm, no foul. I started school when I was 32.
-Go to school and get it over with. Where ever it is to which you want to travel will still be there when you are done with school.

confused where you stand on this issue?

I was just being polite.  On an honest note, my personal opinion is that people are too young to know what they want to do when they are only 18 or so.  WTF would you just stop going to school in order to bum around?  WHat will you have to show for it when you get back, after one year?  Who will be paying for the frolic?  Why not wait until you are done with the things (like college) upon which you will be building your future?

Just go to school.  Don't ask questions. You'll thank me later.  :grin:  I'm serious.  Don't make me have to repeat myself.  There's nothing I hate more than having to say something twice.  Makes me want to get out the butcher knife.  There's nothing I hate more than having to say something twice.  Uh oh.

Quote:

oh and I do not consider you an old, if anything women are like a bottle of wine, get better with age. :cheers:

I'm toxic???

:grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #3588957 - 01/06/05 12:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

My advice from your post, and from personal experience, is to TRAVEL.

I went from High School directly to University and directly to full time employment. Then, I worked for 10 years without a break. All that time, I was never really satisfied because I had a strong but unfulfilled desire to travel.

So, I quit my job and took a year off. It was without doubt the best year of my life.

Travel can be done incredibly cheaply if you take the time to do a little research. Air fare is cheap nowadays, even if not doing standby. Do research into alternative tourism. It is far more rewarding to stay with local people in their house or even camp in their yard. Get yourself a good backpack, lightweight but quality tent and sleeping bag, Thermarest pad, MSR stove that burns kerosene or unleaded gasoline, and cook kit. DO NOT bring a bunch of clothes or personal items. For example, go to REI and get quality pants that can be unzipped to create shorts. If you have more stuff than can be comfortably carried in a backpack, you have too much stuff. Do not carry more than one backpack.

As to where, well that's up to you. I would go to New Zealand and Australia if it were me, as I haven't been there and always wanted to go. Qantas used to have a deal where you could travel from country to country over I think a year at a flat price. That way you can hit the South Pacific islands along the way.

It's better to have a travel companion than to go alone. That way, you have more security and can share the experience and cut costs as well.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Fork in the road of my life [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #3589280 - 01/06/05 02:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Don't take Frog's advice. I'm the same age as you and I never went to post-secondary education. I've travelled abroad and I've travelled a lot around my home province. Why do you feel such a strong need to go out and get a career? You already have a skill. You can cook!

I love food and I love cooking for people
It's right there man, you're saying it! You love food and cooking for people! You've been working in the industry for a few years, and you hate it. This doesn't mean that cooking isn't for you. It means that you don't like the ways you've applied your skills SO FAR. Everybody needs to eat everyday, so there are MILLIONS of possibilities with how you make money using your skills. Ok, the money part of your life is settled.

Next, what are you doing RIGHT NOW that you could improve by going to school. Advice: DO NOT go to university to become a scientist if you aren't already a scientist. It's not going to magically make you a scientist if you aren't already doing little experiments at home like feeding LSD to your ant colony. It'll just hold you off becoming one till after you graduate. Don't go out and buy a $1000 camera to become a photographer unless you already are a photographer, in that you're borrowing your girlfriend's point and shoot and taking lots of pictures or otherwise struggling to express yourself in that medium. Just owning the camera won't give you photography career. Educate yourself, find new hobbies, new skills you want to develop, and see how far you can go with them without paying to go to school. When you hit the plateau, THEN go to school, and let it take you to the next level.

I know what I'm going to school for. There's a chance I won't, but at this point, I've been watching the patterns in my life long enough that the education I've chosen will be the natural next step. I suggest you do the same, and in the meantime, get a plane ticket and go somewhere. Frog's worries about "where will the money come from blah blah blah what will you have to show for it blah blah blah" are just pathetic. Fear like that is the crap that keeps people from doing really neat stuff.

Conclusion: You ARE young, even if teenage MTV culture would have you believe otherwise, you SHOULD travel and you SHOULD NOT go to school again, not yet. You clearly need to get out there and broaden your horizon. It's so clear you should lock this thread and start walking to South America, cooking road kill as you go.

Offlinefranco_on
Chefie McGaggie

Re: Fork in the road of my life [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3589701 - 01/06/05 04:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Mix I do have a recipe for roadkill stew....... :puke:

Thanks for the replies

I am not worried about money so much as I am working full time now.  Money comes and money goes.  The travel option keeps sound better and better.  Go see some of the mushroom festivals in south American countries.  I was told to do anything and everything while away because it is the only way to know your limits.

South America and the south pacific call are both calling.  Since the Canadian dollar is strong I could do either of them on the very cheap.  Always wanted to go to Fiji for some reason.  I cannot say exactly why but it is asking me to visit and I have to connection.  Meanwhile south America seems to have a more ethereal experience, a part of me I would like to explore.

Quote:

Mix:
-what are you doing RIGHT NOW that you could improve by going to school.
-Advice: DO NOT go to university to become a scientist if you aren't already a scientist.....

-I agree.  A foaf is involved in studying spores, something I am finding quite interesting to listen to and observe.  Then again they are fairly new to it.
-Sort of how I ended up switching programs a few times in school till I graduated.  Sound advice for anyone.  I hate our system of education for how it pressures people into having to pick the rest of their life at such a young age.  Another discussion for another day.

To Frog:
I do not seek to return to school at 32.  I realize I am still very young.  I am think that going back to school at 25-26 would not be so bad.  If I know what I want to do, then only good will come from me waiting.  Not to bash but I really do not want to return to school at 32.  I do seek to have a wife and kids some day, settle down and the rest(till then PARTY! :P).

To Redgreen:
I do not seek fortunes though it would be nice.  Sitting in classes thinking to myself what the hell am I do this for is not going to help me.  And having many pieces of paper saying I am qualified does not interest me.  I am not to concerned about how much I am making as long as I enjoy it.  A far flung goal but I seek it.

Well 2-2 on the rest of my life, I would really like a few more opinions.  I am leaning towards travel I will admit.  I just hope that it is due to wanting to find myself and not putting off the decision to settle down in school or whatever.

have a safe journey through life,
Chef

OfflineJTHM
Stranger of theLand
Loc: Still trying to figure it...
    #3589834 - 01/06/05 04:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hey,
you love to cook! good use that to your advantage and travel, but dont forget what you love. i have a buddy who went straight out of college to south africa. he didnt have to find a job, his job found him. in third world countries they literally compete with job offers if you have a degree. he had a science degree, so i dont know how well it would work with a culinary degree. i say, travel the world and learn some new cooking skills and dishes. when you have had enough return. maybe you can open your own restaurant. just remember, if you love it, do it! (within ethical boundaries) heh

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Fork in the road of my life [Re: JTHM]
    #3590908 - 01/06/05 08:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

franco_on:
"I love food and I love cooking for people"
If this is true then you need not ask us what to do...you have a mandate from God...a calling. Food is sacred. Go where you feel compelled...do what makes sense. Put love into what you do, and you need not find success...it will find you.

Offlineonlyme
Stranger
Loc: here
Re: Fork in the road of my life [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3591179 - 01/06/05 10:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

To me success IS finding what you love to do AND being able to make a living off of it.

Do you know spanish ? Get a job teaching English in South America. Make money while you see a new continent! Thats what i did.

Another area of the world that you could look into exploring, would be eastern europe. The area is cheap to live in for americans and canadians and also does have plenty of magic mushrooms in the spring and fall. Plus lots of mountains, old forests, castles, history, etc.

Hell you only live once or twice, and your time here is short, so make the most out of it while you can.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3591189 - 01/06/05 10:04 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

travel you fool. youve already put it off to long. i plan to hit 3 countries before 20 at least.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Fork in the road of my life [Re: onlyme]
    #3591285 - 01/06/05 10:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If you love your work (whatever it is) you will be good at it. Success will come of it's own accord. If he likes to cook plenty of money can be made that way.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3591390 - 01/06/05 10:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

there are a couple things you can consider.

if you decide to go out and travel would you have goal in mind? you can travel, but to where? and for what reason? i think travelling would be an awesome idea especially since you don't know exactly what to study in.

ask yourself what you mean by finding yourself...and how travel would effect this? what do you want to do when you travel.

taking a year off helps, that's what I did when changing a career choice.

experiencing different parts of the world kick's ass though since it will expose you to new surroundings and ideas.

besides, if you do travel, how is that a waste? to you....or to the system?

if you can finance your travels and not be in a hole when you come back, go for it!

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlinefranco_on
Chefie McGaggie

Re: Fork in the road of my life [Re: kaiowas]
    #3592069 - 01/07/05 01:22 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I did not expect such a response, thank you all it means a lot to me. I think travel may be it.

Moonshoe:
How freaking old are you??!?!?!! Keep thinking you are older then you really are probably.

To all:
I love food and cooking for people but I do not think I can continue in a restaurant or catering company. My heart is not there. I do dream of being a personal chef but I truly do not have the skills at this point. Or at least I do not believe in myself that much. At the same time I do not think it is cooking that I love about food. There is something else there I think. Sometimes I find myself looking over a pot on a stove and just wonder what is actually happening in it. The effects on the body and other such things. That is my science side I think, a side of me that I love but is not strong enough to live by. My present chef sees something in me, potential. I feel it sometimes, something untapped. I just do not have my heart in it at work, and it shows.

My goal for traveling would be to learn about myself. I do not know enough about me. As well I want to learn my boundaries, push them, and challenge my fears. Seeing some part of the world would be cool to. I do not think I have a good grip on how things work outside of my surroundings. The world is so big and small, it scares me.

South America(not Columbia though) or South Pacific are the areas I am contemplating. Maybe I could recreate Che's journey through the continent, 'back on the road'. And when I get back 'shrug'. Life has a way of leading you, hopefully in a happy good way.

Love you all, thanks again.

Have a safe journey through life,
Chef

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3593745 - 01/07/05 01:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"How freaking old are you??!?!?!! Keep thinking you are older then you really are probably."

that is very probable. lets just say, im not yet 20, and then whatever number comes to your head when i say that.... is still probably older than i am.

:smirk:

btw, i highly advise you get out and travel. i think it unlikely youll regret it. my first stop is costa rica, then peru, definetly lay over in india and maybe stop to study meditation and martial arts in china.

:thumbup:

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Edited by Moonshoe (01/07/05 05:14 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3594146 - 01/07/05 03:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

While you are young travelling is easy. By the time I was 21 I had been to 4 countries in asia. Once you settle down time gets scarce and responsibility looms large before you. I am looking forward to when all my kids have moved on to college (4 more years) so that I may be free again. My kids are golden, but so is my freedom. Travel while you have time for you never know what the future holds.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies