Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRisingTzun
WanderingMinstrel
Male

Loc: The Ville, A Vast Expanse
2 Questions about Mycelium
    #3584100 - 01/05/05 01:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

First want to say great community, been registered for a while but haven't posted. I have 2 questions that I need help with.
1) I have 6 old cakes from a previous grow that are dry (been through 3~4 flushes about 2 months ago) Is the mycelium on the substrate still viable for growing?
2) I have a few syringes that my friend gave me from a grow project that he had over the summer. I am starting some casings, using rye grain and have tried every syringe but only one actually germinated and began growing mycelium. IS there any way to test the spores in the syringes to see if they are still active?

--------------------
My heart beat quickened and I nervously glanced at the walls. With widened eyes I witnessed the birth of the world as the walls began to breath and the floor swirled and rose into mountains and valleys. A new door was opened in my mind. One that will never again remain shut.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: 2 Questions about Mycelium [Re: RisingTzun]
    #3584124 - 01/05/05 01:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

1- probably not, but miracles are known to happen

2- inject them into some sterile substrate and see if they grow

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineRisingTzun
WanderingMinstrel
Male

Re: 2 Questions about Mycelium [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #3584151 - 01/05/05 01:19 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the quick reply, however, I dont have any sterile substrate that I can test that isn't already in a sterile jar ready for inccoulation, nor do I have the means to make anymore. Is there any other medium that might be common in a household to inject onto? Perhaps some sort of substrate mix that could be sterilized without using a pressure cooker or involving BRF?

--------------------
My heart beat quickened and I nervously glanced at the walls. With widened eyes I witnessed the birth of the world as the walls began to breath and the floor swirled and rose into mountains and valleys. A new door was opened in my mind. One that will never again remain shut.

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #3584223 - 01/05/05 01:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

you can try Karo tek, i never tried it so i don't know much about it... :frown:

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3584256 - 01/05/05 01:43 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Possibly on some agar you could get the strain to reawaken so to say , myc is stronger than most give it credit for . But the cake it self is spent now , not enough nutes left to produce enough for the time and effort it would take to try .
Not really , viewing under microscope may show if spores are still intact , but whether viable or not , not sure .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineRisingTzun
WanderingMinstrel
Male

Re: 2 Questions about Mycelium [Re: tripndicular]
    #3584262 - 01/05/05 01:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Alright, thanks for all the quick replies  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Re: 2 Questions about Mycelium [Re: tripndicular]
    #3584606 - 01/05/05 03:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Not to hijack the thread, just keep topic going.
Could someone elaborate a little more?
I would like to go to using agar. Is it possible to propagate a culture from mycilium off a spent cake?

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Re: 2 Questions about Mycelium [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #3588274 - 01/06/05 09:21 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

*bump*

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: 2 Questions about Mycelium [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #3588303 - 01/06/05 09:30 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

PM me MikeOLogical,I have some information for you about non PC sterile work.
But it's a document,I have to send it to you.
:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

#3588316 - 01/06/05 09:33 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Spent...no such thing as spent till it turns green.
break the cake in half and take a sample from the inside to grow on a plate.
Clone your cake.

--------------------
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Offlinepseudorhiza
String Puller

Loc: Dark caves
    #3588338 - 01/06/05 09:40 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yes you can get a culture started from a cake that has already flushed and is on its way out , as long as it has not grown contaminants and such .
In a sterile environment , break open the cake and select a nice clean area and harvest a small piece aprox the size of a piece of grain , place it onto some fresh agar , watch , wait , and hope you got a clean culture . As it grows out harvest another clean section and transfer it to another fresh petri . If all goes well in no time you will have a clean issolated culture .

--------------------
"Toxic Shock Syndrome is God's way of punishing unsaved harlots who choose Satan?s cotton fingers over a Godly pad," Pastor Deacon Fred stated upon hearing of the event. "These playthings of Satan are created under the guise of a ladies hygiene product to bring unsuspecting women and young girls to the fold of the Devil."

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 2 Questions about Mycelium [Re: Peterthinks]
    #3588340 - 01/06/05 09:41 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

#1 Cutting the spent cake and extracting a quarter sized piece from the interior of the cake and put that into a "master" could very well result in renewed growth.
#2 Spores can stay viable for years, I've personally had a PFC strain produce after 6yrs. in the fridge. Just don't forget to shake the bastid for a couple minutes. I find tapping the syringe on the edge of a hard surface disperses the spores nicely. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: 2 Questions about Mycelium [Re: hyphae]
    #3588439 - 01/06/05 10:16 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Don't CUT just break,the knife sliding thru the cake will drag surface contaminants into the cake and screw it up.
snap the cake in half and work from there.
throw the left overs into the compost heap or under some wood chips on a garden path and water them once in a while...you may get an outdoor patch.

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3588458 - 01/06/05 10:23 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

karo would work well to test spores' viability... no need for a PC, just honey/karo, water, a jar, and a pot. :smile: although i tyvek the tops of my karo jars now...

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

Re: 2 Questions about Mycelium [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3588471 - 01/06/05 10:27 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Couldn't you just do this to test a very small amount of spore fluid from the syringe? just shoot some on the cardboard instead of cloning

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25944

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

OfflineRisingTzun
WanderingMinstrel
Male

Re: 2 Questions about Mycelium [Re: Taskenti]
    #3588997 - 01/06/05 01:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the link to that cardboard tek, I was thinking about something along those lines for testing the syringe :smile:

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3590806 - 01/06/05 08:11 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"Don't CUT just break,the knife sliding thru the cake will drag surface contaminants into the cake and screw it up.
snap the cake in half and work from there." 
good point :wink: I should have mentioned I always do a brief peroxide dunk prior to all transfers as added insurance.

"throw the left overs into the compost heap or under some wood chips on a garden path and water them once in a while...you may get an outdoor patch."
I think thats the best use of spent cakes also but cubies being cubies I toss them into my horse poo/straw patch for much better results.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: 2 Questions about Mycelium [Re: hyphae]
    #3595929 - 01/07/05 09:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I bow to your wisdom....
I know the species but not the breed.
My knowledge is general.
You say Poo...I say cool.

I am a pebble on the shore of the sea...
I let the waves wash over me.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Beeeeeerrrrrrrrrr.........

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures