Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejaham
big johnson

first time grow...no signs of mycelium
    #3588463 - 01/06/05 12:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

im using a tub in tub method with an aguarium heater at 84.0 degrees Farenheit i have 15 grain mycobags inoculated (sterilized with alcohol and a liter) that have been sitting for about 5 days now with no signs of mycelium growth at all. pleas help

--------------------
" Brainwashing is reversable, that's what psychedelics are for" :laugh:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: first time grow...no signs of mycelium [Re: jaham]
    #3588499 - 01/06/05 12:37 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

patience, patience....
As long you don't see or smell contaminations, patience is what is needed.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: first time grow...no signs of mycelium [Re: Anno]
    #3588527 - 01/06/05 12:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yes anno, correct as usual.

it can take a while for visual growth to show up, especially if the spores used were from an older print and were not left to hydrate before innoculating.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinepseudorhiza
String Puller

Loc: Dark caves
    #3588574 - 01/06/05 01:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with others 5 days is'nt squat .
Patience is the #1 rule in mush cult from my exp , once you have mastered it , all other rules and procedures fall into place .
It can in some cases take upto a month before you see any signs of myc growth , we all hope for faster , but reality says not always .
As long as you do not smell foul oders or see colors or oily looking substances you are fine . Put them back in the incubator and leave alone for 10 days , then take a peek . Looking each and everyday will just drive you nuts , and possibly slow the whole process down .
Good Luck

--------------------
"Toxic Shock Syndrome is God's way of punishing unsaved harlots who choose Satan?s cotton fingers over a Godly pad," Pastor Deacon Fred stated upon hearing of the event. "These playthings of Satan are created under the guise of a ladies hygiene product to bring unsuspecting women and young girls to the fold of the Devil."

Offlinezerodefect
Stranger
Re: first time grow...no signs of mycelium [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3588589 - 01/06/05 01:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

so just for further informational purposes, how long would be considered too long to wait? because i am also using just 2 tubs as a water incubator for my jars and i was really having a difficult time determining the temp inside the incubator. the temp was reading 90 degrees right on the bottom where the jars were sitting and it was 80 degrees on the top so i just moved the jars on the second level of my tub (dual layered tub). now i read that the jars usually retain heat and are about 5 degrees warmer then ambient temp so thats should be perfect. now my jars have been incubating for about 8 days now and there is no sign of mycelium at all in my orissas. i also have 4 jars of eq from a liquid mycelium and they are about halfway colonized already. the ones from the spore solution tho have no signs of life at all. is that still normal? how long should i wait before i try again? there is no contamination at all and the substrate is all from the same batch so it must me good. thanks alot for any help

Offlinezerodefect
Stranger
Re: first time grow...no signs of mycelium [Re: zerodefect]
    #3588595 - 01/06/05 01:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

haha pseudorhiza answered my question.. must have replied while i was typing my question. thanks alot guys.

Offlinepseudorhiza
String Puller

#3588614 - 01/06/05 01:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zerodefect said:
so just for further informational purposes, how long would be considered too long to wait? because i am also using just 2 tubs as a water incubator for my jars and i was really having a difficult time determining the temp inside the incubator. the temp was reading 90 degrees right on the bottom where the jars were sitting and it was 80 degrees on the top so i just moved the jars on the second level of my tub (dual layered tub). now i read that the jars usually retain heat and are about 5 degrees warmer then ambient temp so thats should be perfect. now my jars have been incubating for about 8 days now and there is no sign of mycelium at all in my orissas. i also have 4 jars of eq from a liquid mycelium and they are about halfway colonized already. the ones from the spore solution tho have no signs of life at all. is that still normal? how long should i wait before i try again? there is no contamination at all and the substrate is all from the same batch so it must me good. thanks alot for any help

That 90 degrees you mentioned is a tad high , nothing that will be harmfull , just a tad high . That tub and tub thing is a tough setup to get an even ambient temp IMHO , try stirring the water several times a day to get a more even distribution of temp (ambient temp) , that or put in a shelf that rases the jars into a more even area of the water . The temp at surface is lower due to evaporation of water at the surface , and down lower higher due to this is where your heater is at , I assume .
Glad I was of some help , I am sort of new here at the shroomery  :wink:
Waiting 10 days , does not mean you will see signs for sure , just a good time frain to go by . If after 30 days you see nothing , do the smell test , if all smells and looks good , question spore viability .
Yes is normal for liquid culture to be faster than spore solution inocs . So again PATIENCE grasshopper !

--------------------
"Toxic Shock Syndrome is God's way of punishing unsaved harlots who choose Satan?s cotton fingers over a Godly pad," Pastor Deacon Fred stated upon hearing of the event. "These playthings of Satan are created under the guise of a ladies hygiene product to bring unsuspecting women and young girls to the fold of the Devil."

Offlinejackel235
Highroller
    #3588616 - 01/06/05 01:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i got one jar that is 3 weeks old and just now has a spot about the size of a quarter lol

Offlinejaham
big johnson

Re: first time grow...no signs of mycelium [Re: jackel235]
    #3588732 - 01/06/05 01:47 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i have spotted a quarter size of green mold and the tub in tub setup i have smells sort of sweet when you open itm but not necesarily bad...i hope that is the grain smelling sweet and not a contam

--------------------

Offlinejaham
big johnson

#3588790 - 01/06/05 02:02 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

*the green mold is a spot in one of the bags not in tub-srry

--------------------

Offlinepseudorhiza
String Puller

#3588974 - 01/06/05 02:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

jaham said:
i have spotted a quarter size of green mold and the tub in tub setup i have smells sort of sweet when you open itm but not necesarily bad...i hope that is the grain smelling sweet and not a contam

Does it almost smell like a fermenting apple ? :tongue:
If so that is a very bad sign , issolate and wait , pray, and hope !
Healthy cultures etc should smell like mushies .

--------------------

Offlinezerodefect
Stranger
Re: first time grow...no signs of mycelium [Re: pseudorhiza]
    #3589407 - 01/06/05 05:24 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

well thanks alot for all your information.. you have all been a great help in keeping my spirits alive haha. i was almost feeling the need to give up hope. it was depressing to watch some grow so fast yet the others to grow so slow. ill be patient. =)

Offlinejaham
big johnson

#3596072 - 01/08/05 12:18 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yep pretty much like a fermenting apple...its a bunch of seperate mycobags tho so it would probly be hard to pass basteria through the bags...i have some growth in two or three of the bags now...but my question is is it urgent to get the infected bag out immediately?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation