Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Mycobags, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Ready for BULK, i have an idea...
    #3588305 - 01/06/05 11:31 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well, since my last couple of grows were a great success (popcorn casings 0% contamns, 14g's dry 1st flush..blah..blah) and provided some great experiences for me, im ready to start growing for the sake of others so that they may experience the sacrament too(free of charge) Im am thus ready to bump my status from Apprentice Shroom Mage, and go Shroom Mage Adept with a bulk grow. I have an idea of
the whole bulk shindig, have read a couple of teks and seen a few growlogs. Problem is, a fellow aspiring Shroom Mage borrowed my PC, and somehow broke the little thing that sits on top to let pressure out, :mad2: so PC is out of the question. My idea is this: Mycobags ( pre-sterile grains) fully colonized, then spawn to a big rubbermaid filled with the pre-sterilized mycobag staw substrate( just open the bag and dump straw in the rubbermaid) and do about 6" depth. Would this work, since the straw substrate is already sterile(no need to pasteurize i guess)? Its seems possible but i have my doubts, any help from experts would be appreciated deeply!! Can it be possible that the old doctrine of "NO PC=NO BULK"is wrong?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Ready for BULK, i have an idea... [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #3588337 - 01/06/05 11:40 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

>Can it be possible that the old doctrine of "NO PC=NO BULK"is wrong?

There is no such doctrine.
You can sucessfuly spawn any bulk substrates with shredded PF-Cakes. And you don't need a PC for them.

>Mycobags ( pre-sterile grains) fully colonized, then spawn to a big rubbermaid filled with
>the pre-sterilized mycobag staw substrate( just open the bag and dump straw in the
>rubbermaid) and do about 6" depth.

Not sure how well the presterilized straw would fight contaminants. You can spawn pasteurized straw though with the grain with no problems.
Perhaps inoculate the straw in bags with rye spawn and let it colonize in bags?

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Re: Ready for BULK, i have an idea... [Re: Anno]
    #3588395 - 01/06/05 12:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hmm. i guess pre-sterilized and pasteurized are not the same thing. is there a fairly high sucess rate with pastuerization of straw?
it seems like the mycellium would have to get goin quick before contams set in. I should prolly do pasteurization anyways since it wouldnt be too much trouble. thanks!

--------------------

Offlinepseudorhiza
String Puller

Loc: Dark caves
Re: Ready for BULK, i have an idea... [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #3588408 - 01/06/05 12:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Must have PC if moving on to grains and bulk subs , that or the old 50 gallon barrel over a large flame source in order to pasturize the subs .
Kill your friend who damaged the PC  :crazy2:
If relatively new PC you could contact the maker and order a replacement part for the PC .
Lesson #10 of mush tek... never loan supplies to fools  :wink:

--------------------
"Toxic Shock Syndrome is God's way of punishing unsaved harlots who choose Satan?s cotton fingers over a Godly pad," Pastor Deacon Fred stated upon hearing of the event. "These playthings of Satan are created under the guise of a ladies hygiene product to bring unsuspecting women and young girls to the fold of the Devil."

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Ready for BULK, i have an idea... [Re: pseudorhiza]
    #3588417 - 01/06/05 12:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If it's new go buy one and bring it back 3 minutes later with the broken part saying you just found out Mom got one a week ago and you want your $ back(birthday present gone bad!)

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3588420 - 01/06/05 12:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

your pressure regulator is broken? they're relatively cheap to replace... that's what was missing on mine when i bought it and i replaced it for $15 at Ace Hardware of all places.

Pasturizing > Sterilizing when doing bulk IMO due to residual bacteria that fight off contams while your mycelium colonizes the bulk substrate. Pasturizing does not require a PC, so with PF cakes + pasturized substrate, you can go bulk without a PC.

Be careful, and good luck.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinepseudorhiza
String Puller

Re: Ready for BULK, i have an idea... [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3588462 - 01/06/05 12:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ZeroArmy27 said:
your pressure regulator is broken? they're relatively cheap to replace... that's what was missing on mine when i bought it and i replaced it for $15 at Ace Hardware of all places.

Pasturizing > Sterilizing when doing bulk IMO due to residual bacteria that fight off contams while your mycelium colonizes the bulk substrate. Pasturizing does not require a PC, so with PF cakes + pasturized substrate, you can go bulk without a PC.

Be careful, and good luck.

Do you mean "microbial colonies" or risidual bacteria  :confused:
I for one am a firm believer in full blown sterilization , I mean why risk the chance of contams at all ? Microbes will return before contams if you have good healthy colony of myc that dominates the sub .
I know this is a prefference thing more than a requirment .
Yes it is true that if full sterilized the sub is a virgin waiting to be colonized by whatever gets there first , but if done right that should be happy healthy myc  :thumbup:
And with no PC how can one get clean spawn masters i.e. grain ? :confused:

--------------------
"Toxic Shock Syndrome is God's way of punishing unsaved harlots who choose Satan?s cotton fingers over a Godly pad," Pastor Deacon Fred stated upon hearing of the event. "These playthings of Satan are created under the guise of a ladies hygiene product to bring unsuspecting women and young girls to the fold of the Devil."

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3588493 - 01/06/05 12:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

it's my understanding that with pasurization, certain organisms remain in the substrate that do not harm the mycelium while it colonizes, but help fight off contaminates... such has been my experience.

i've always been told it was bacteria, but that could well be wrong. i thought that the white/greying in old poop was not only from the poo being leached, but from bacteria...

Yes it is true that if full sterilized the sub is a virgin waiting to be colonized by whatever gets there first , but if done right that should be happy healthy myc
>>what if: during a spawn run, uncolonized areas are exposed to contaminates? if pasturized, you have the residual organisms to fight these off. if it's sterilized... nada.

just my preference, anyhow.

And with no PC how can one get clean spawn masters i.e. grain ?
>>you can't get grain to spawn without a PC... at least not with a very high rate of success. you CAN use PF cakes... i've done it before. :smile:

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinepseudorhiza
String Puller

Re: Ready for BULK, i have an idea... [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3588558 - 01/06/05 12:58 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Benifical microbes is what you are talking about not bacteria .

Healthy myc can and will fight off contams in best case scenarios , not always , but enough for great success .

The white\grey stuff on dung is a mold . And sometimes a sign the animal has a parasitic worm of some sort . White and crusty is leached . How the hell did we get on topic of animal turds , not dungs used as a sub ? :grin:

Yes... IF... IF exposed to contams bulk sub that was sterilized can get overrun by contams very easily , but I believe in happy healthy strong myc doing the job for me ... preference thing again  :wink: So you are not completly at the mercy of contams like you mentioned (nada).
Pasturized subs are just as suseptable to being taken over by contams , IF exposed to a sizable colony of some foriegn invader , spore etc .
I deffinetly do not like that not very high success rate with no PC thing  :tongue: :wink:
I still stand by my comment ... get a pc or fix the old one  :wink: :cool:
Thanx for the dialouge Zero , was fun and enlightening  :thumbup: :cool:

--------------------

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
    #3589799 - 01/06/05 06:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pseudorhiza said:
Benifical microbes is what you are talking about not bacteria .

Those beneficial microbes happen to be bacteria.

Quote:

pseudorhiza said:
Healthy myc can and will fight off contams in best case scenarios , not always , but enough for great success .

Most people prefer to paustuerize because those beneficial microbes (in this case, aka bacteria  :grin:) help fight off the contams but not the mycellium.  If you sterilize, they cannot do this.

Quote:

pseudorhiza said:
The white\grey stuff on dung is a mold . And sometimes a sign the animal has a parasitic worm of some sort . White and crusty is leached .

There are lots of different reasons for white/grey on dung.

Quote:

pseudorhiza said:

Pasturized subs are just as suseptable to being taken over by contams , IF exposed to a sizable colony of some foriegn invader , spore etc .

This is not true.

Quote:

pseudorhiza said:
I deffinetly do not like that not very high success rate with no PC thing  :tongue: :wink:
I still stand by my comment ... get a pc or fix the old one  :wink: :cool:

PF cakes for bulk spawn have been talked about multiple times.  You even contradicted Anno (one of the pros) with your first post here.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Mycobags, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation