Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineboise
Stranger
Green Mold?
    #3588112 - 01/06/05 10:31 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hi. I'm sure this question's been asked a thousand times, but here it is again.

I've got half-pint jars in incubation. One of them has a very obvious dime-sized patch of green mold. I've taken it out. 3 of the other jars, which are much more colonized than the infected jar (5 days, but much farther along than any of the other jars in the incubator) have the tiniest green flecks on the mycelium.

Can I be pretty sure this is mold and the jars need to be taken out before they infect everything else? Or do I wait a day and see if the mold takes over? I took a picture, but it's impossible to see it.

Thanks much.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: Green Mold? [Re: boise]
    #3588128 - 01/06/05 10:35 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

seperate them and wait a couple of days and you will find out. but if there is suspicion there is no reason to leave them in there cause it can spread.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlineboise
Stranger
Re: Green Mold? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3588171 - 01/06/05 10:47 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Is it alright to take them out of incubation to wait and see? I'm going to have to put them in the back of the closet, cause I'm out of space. That'll just slow down the mycelium, but if there's mold in there, the mold will take over anyway?

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3588194 - 01/06/05 10:51 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yeah if its mold it will take over. try to find something to put them in so they wont get more contams, maybe a ziploc bag. so take them out now, hurry, jk. but take them out asap.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

#3588217 - 01/06/05 10:58 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You could try PCing it again and re innoculating it.
I had a batch of agar I was keeping in a jar and I saw bacteria growing on top so I pressure cooked it (15psi for45),gave it a good shake and it's good to go.
Good thing too,it was like the last of my agar and about a liter of it!
Add some water(with syringe),PC the jar,incubate it for 4 days to make sure it's clean and try again.
really what have you got to lose except a CC of spores?
It may work...let us know if you try this untested method.
:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

OfflineMcHurley
Stranger
    #3588219 - 01/06/05 10:59 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I think you should incubate in total darkness. mycelium don't need light, mold does

Offlineboise
Stranger
    #3588223 - 01/06/05 11:00 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Ha, I'm running! Thanks for the bag idea. Don't know why that didn't occur to me. Would you ever recommend putting new jars in bags in the incubator as an added layer of protection? I've got a tiny rubbermaid tub in tub in a closet, big enough for 8 half-pints. Or does it seem likely that the mold was in there before going into the incubator?

That's my suspicion, at least. This is my first grow and there are a couple of points in the process where I feel like I may have made minor mistakes that could have lead to this happening.

Also, another question for you, now that I'm thinking back through the process: if the syringes are capped and in ziploc bags in the fridge, are they susceptible to contaminates as well? I realize sterilizing the needle before inoculation kills whatever's landed there when the cap came off, but can anything "crawl" up the needle and into the solution while it's sitting in the fridge?

Thanks again.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3588235 - 01/06/05 11:07 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

dont use bags the whole time it will not allow good air exchange, well eventually no air exchange. and dont worry about the syringe, ive never heard of it happening and very highly doubt it could. next time remember sterilitty cause its so easy to contam if you dont pay close attention. flame the needle between every jar (the most common newb mistake).

--------------------

Offlineboise
Stranger
    #3588258 - 01/06/05 11:18 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks. I did flame between every jar, but now I'm thinking I may have mucked things a bit with the pressure cooker. Also, is there any truth to the mold needs light post above? I haven't seen that before. My incubator tubs are clear, but they're lined with towels and in a closed closet. I'm sure some tiny amount of light seeps in but is that nelgligible?

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3588275 - 01/06/05 11:22 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

ive never heard of the mold needs light. and while incubating in darkness a jar gets contamed so im guessing not but i could be wrong. i didnt understand where that came from but yeah when you isolate them make sure they are still dark cause you dont want them to start pinning on you.

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3588475 - 01/06/05 12:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

that guy's a one post dumbass. ignore his idiotic post.

it is possible your syringe was contamed. i got the meanie greenie in most of my jars one round and it ended up that the syringe was contamed... :frown:

isolate the suspected jars. see if it is green mold or not.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinepseudorhiza
String Puller

Loc: Dark caves
    #3588511 - 01/06/05 12:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

boise said:
Hi. I'm sure this question's been asked a thousand times, but here it is again.

I've got half-pint jars in incubation. One of them has a very obvious dime-sized patch of green mold. I've taken it out. 3 of the other jars, which are much more colonized than the infected jar (5 days, but much farther along than any of the other jars in the incubator) have the tiniest green flecks on the mycelium.

Can I be pretty sure this is mold and the jars need to be taken out before they infect everything else? Or do I wait a day and see if the mold takes over? I took a picture, but it's impossible to see it.

Thanks much.

If you got green you can see , count this one as a failure . :eek:
You may need to work on sterilization practices more before moving on again , that or your spore source was contaminated from the get go .
Make up a batch of sub , let it sit for a few days , does this new batch have nasties showing up ? If so you did not sterilize properly .
If you get to the inoc point and this is when contams start showing up , then it is your inoc procedure and cleanliness , or bad syringe .
Lots of angles to determine "exactally" how and where nasties came in , but in time you will find the source of your troubles , in most cases it is the preparer  :wink:
Good Luck
Again , I say start over , issolate those suckers or kill them ASAP !

--------------------
"Toxic Shock Syndrome is God's way of punishing unsaved harlots who choose Satan?s cotton fingers over a Godly pad," Pastor Deacon Fred stated upon hearing of the event. "These playthings of Satan are created under the guise of a ladies hygiene product to bring unsuspecting women and young girls to the fold of the Devil."

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Green Mold? [Re: McHurley]
    #3588526 - 01/06/05 12:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

McHurley said:
I think you should incubate in total darkness. mycelium don't need light, mold does

mold certainly does not need light, explain the black mold inside the walls and
under the flooring of houses... I've yet to find a mold that requires light

Offlinepseudorhiza
String Puller

Loc: Dark caves
    #3588593 - 01/06/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

McHurley said:

This post does not ask about this but if myc does not need light ....
Explain the pin initiation process  :confused:

Molds can and will grow in any enviro , lighted or not , with air or no air , moisture is the only prerequisite I am aware of .
You need to get some basics down before you try to give anyone answers , even half assed ones  :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Toxic Shock Syndrome is God's way of punishing unsaved harlots who choose Satan?s cotton fingers over a Godly pad," Pastor Deacon Fred stated upon hearing of the event. "These playthings of Satan are created under the guise of a ladies hygiene product to bring unsuspecting women and young girls to the fold of the Devil."

OfflinePorchMonkey321
Mycophile

#3588759 - 01/06/05 01:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

McHurley said:

Wtf? Last time I checked, unless you have high-dollar low-light optical equipment, you need light to see what the hell you're doing... What a way to start posting at the Shroomery, with a dumbass answer such as that. Think about what you say bub, maybe you wont look like a total idiot next time you post.

Offlineboise
Stranger
Re: Green Mold? [Re: PorchMonkey321]
    #3588786 - 01/06/05 02:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be sure to cook the jars and then watch them before innoculating in the future. Would definitely like to find the source...

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3589381 - 01/06/05 05:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If you see a dime size outside, there is a golf-ball clump inside the cake.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Green Mold? [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3589401 - 01/06/05 05:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Mold likes dark and humid, hates light and arid. (However, it can withstand light and arid.)

The only natural way to kill mold spores without chemicals is to make sure they have absorbed all the moisture they can, then blow them up with extreme temps. (Soak for 24 hours, under pressure if possible. Then PC at 220F+ for 45 minutes at 10 PSI minimum.)

Totally dry spores can withstand temps up to 800F+, for a certain time. Pressure treated, kiln-dried wood can still rot from the inside-out. Once moisture penetrates, it activates the dried spores.

EXAMPLE, dry your hand and wave it through the flame of a torch real fast. (You will feel a little heat.) Now, soak your hand in warm water for an hour, until it wrinkles. Then pass your hand through the torch with the same speed and at the same distance. (Your hand will instantly blister, and your skin will peel off for weeks.)

You have instantly boiled the water inside your skin, that your hand absorbed from soaking. Where as before, you only boiled the water on the surface of your skin, the oil inside your skin didn't absorb the heat as fast, so you felt warmth, and not searing.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/06/05 05:28 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation