Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Court overturns Andrea Yates Conviction for drowning 5 children.
    #3588062 - 01/06/05 10:10 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6794098/

Andrea is going to look for the real killers as soon as she's released.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Court overturns Andrea Yates Conviction for drowning 5 children. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3588146 - 01/06/05 10:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Just like OJ right?

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Court overturns Andrea Yates Conviction for drowning 5 children. [Re: cb9fl]
    #3588267 - 01/06/05 11:20 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The court based its reversal on false testimony by a prosecution witness, psychiatrist Park Deitz, who stated during her March 2002 trial that the killings occurred shortly after an episode of the NBC television show ?Law & Order? in which a woman drowned her children and later was acquitted by reason of insanity.

Other witnesses testified during the trial that Yates watched the television series, allowing the prosecution to suggest that Yates had seen the show and used the plot to plan the murders of her kids by drowning them in the tub of the family's home.

... and ...

Quote:

Jurors learned after Yates was convicted that the episode never existed.

?We conclude that there is a reasonable likelihood that Dr. Dietz?s false testimony could have affected the judgment of the jury,? the court said in its ruling. ?We further conclude that Dr. Dietz?s false testimony affected the substantial rights of appellant.?

Yet another example of why the death penalty should be done away with...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Court overturns Andrea Yates Conviction for drowning 5 children. [Re: Seuss]
    #3588282 - 01/06/05 11:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

that's why i gave up on the Death Penalty.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Court overturns Andrea Yates Conviction for drowning 5 children. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3589218 - 01/06/05 04:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thats bullshit. She had Clinical Depression and drowned all 5 of her kids. I dont believe it. Ive met Schizophrenics like that who were protective of their children.

She probably wanted her little brats dead. That makes me sick someone like that can walk away

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Court overturns Andrea Yates Conviction for drowning 5 children. [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #3590528 - 01/06/05 09:20 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

She won't walk. She will be tried again. The simple fact is that a prosecution witness lied (about an episode of law and order of all things) and that lie was repeated during closing arguments. They made the right call in overturning that conviction. She will be retried and she will be found guilty.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Court overturns Andrea Yates Conviction for drowning 5 children. [Re: z@z.com]
    #3592682 - 01/07/05 08:17 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

> Ive met Schizophrenics like that who were protective of their children.

Ah, therefore all people with Clinical Depression are the same as the ones you have met?  I am glad the world is full of openminded experts such as yourself; it gives me a warm safe fuzzy feeling...  :wink:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Court overturns Andrea Yates Conviction for drowning 5 children. [Re: Seuss]
    #3593327 - 01/07/05 01:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I actually do kinda consider my expert considering im Bipolar and border line schizophrenic.

Let me be more articulate. The problem with the society today is people can never accept blame on themselfs for things they do. Its always an underlying problem.

If she was Schizophrenic i would understand, But she took all of her children took them upstairs to the bathroom and held them under the water of the bathtub till they had no more life in them. She did this 5 times till her kids were dead.'

Clinical Depression thats bullshit. She should get life in prison im sorry but i think thats how it should be.

Edited by The_Red_Crayon (01/07/05 01:17 PM)

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
Re: Court overturns Andrea Yates Conviction for drowning 5 children. [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #3594513 - 01/07/05 06:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I agree with Red based on what I have read on Schizophrenia. She shows virtually no signs of it. Most people that have it show multiple signs. Its true that she could be a rare case, but with so little of the signs its hard to believe she could repeat the same violent act 5 times without switching personalities in between. It just doesnt add up.

On a side note, I saw her husband (soon to be ex) defending her on television. That made me even more sick to my stomach than what she actually did. The fact he could defend the person who killed his 5 children. You see he isnt mentally ill in anyway, even if she is, and I just dont see how he could defend her actions.

My ruling on the case... they should have let the virdict stand even though the Law and Order episode didnt occur. The only thing in the case that is disputible is her motive, other than that no one denys she did it. But, I do understand fair trial and if you overturn something in one case you have to do it in every case... I just hope she is reconvicted.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
    #3597698 - 01/08/05 11:03 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It would be so much cheaper to just take people like that out into a field and put a bullet in their forehead. All those court costs, no wonder taxes are so fucking high!

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
Re: Court overturns Andrea Yates Conviction for drowning 5 children. [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #3602104 - 01/09/05 05:39 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Lightningfractal said:
It would be so much cheaper to just take people like that out into a field and put a bullet in their forehead. All those court costs, no wonder taxes are so fucking high!

Agreed  :thumbup:

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3602374 - 01/09/05 08:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

There are many flavors of schizophrenia. Some appear perfectly normal and are able to maintain all motor function, others are completely catatonic. All however, are mentally ill.

This Yates story is simply just sad. Putting a bullet in her head won't produce anything but more tragedy. She ought to be in a mental institution for the rest of her life.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion