Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFlashman
Sir

Loc: Location, Loction
Slow grow
    #3587631 - 01/06/05 05:28 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hi. I have searched about and am just looking for opinions.

About a year and a half ago I stopped growing shrooms, after about 4 months growing.

I had started with a fully colonised, cased rye berry cake,brought from a shop. I fruited this, collected spore prints and started innoculating my own rye berry jars, which I also sucsessfully fruited.

Overall I had about an 80% sucsess rate from spore syringe to fruiting cake (20% of the jars would contam). (I worked over a hot oven for sterile work - no laminar flow hood)

Anyhow I dug out all my kit and inoculated 10 x 1 pint, rye berry jars. I am wasteful when making syringes from prints - i found this greatly helped colonisation times. I made 10 x 3cc syringes, each made from its own spore print (about 1 inch diameter) Each syringe was a dark-ish purple. The syringe was left for 6 hours to rehydrate the spores before inoculation. The rye jars had 24 hours to cool after p/c ing.

Anyhow, after 3 weeks I had no sign of myc growth at all. I left it for another week and have definate growth in 2 jars, of about 2 inchs round- these I have shaked up to disperse the myc. 2 jars were contams, the 6 remaining jars are still barren.

I think that the problem lay with the spores - instead of the myc growing in patterns down the jar (where I had injected the syringe), both of the jars only showed growth from one area each.

The spore prints were 1 and a half years old - although worked fine when making syringes then. I also used rye berries left over from a year and a half ago.

I am reasonably trained in lab technique from my education and am sure I didn't make a silly mistake by killing the spores.
(eg, not allowing the inoculation loop time to cool before collecting spores from the print, or going crazy with lysol etc)

The prints were taken on wax paper, allowed to dry for a few hours, folded then stored in a cool, dry, dark box. The incubator is the same as before, same place, temp. The berries have not burst in the jars from over cooking and the water content of the jars is a ok.

I know just to be patient, I have already innoc'd more jars yesterday and am waiting to see what happens.

What do you think happened?
Any ideas greatly appreciated. I think i'll have to look into my spore print making / storage.

Bilf

--------------------
Woof Woof

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation