Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelokiean
Stranger
Diabetics and shrooms ??
    #3581298 - 01/04/05 07:44 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I have a friend with muscular distrophy and is diabetic. He wants to try mushrooms. Kinda worries me so im asking. Is this ok?
Is it safe? thought id ask and inform him if it is or isnot safe.
The reason i ask is cause of how tripping gets your heart pumping. makes you energetic and hyper for a while before it sets in. what effect does this have on someone who takes insolin?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineballs
thats right
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: lokiean]
    #3581392 - 01/04/05 08:04 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

That would not be a good idea at all, just to be on the safe side.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: balls]
    #3581454 - 01/04/05 08:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Mushrooms send your blood pressure through the roof. Check it the next time you trip and you'll see.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3581793 - 01/04/05 09:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I believe diabetes comes with heart problems and anyone with any sort of heart problems shouldn't be taking any psychedelics.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3581810 - 01/04/05 09:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Here's me going against popular opinion again.

Your friend has diabetes. There is no sugar in magic mushrooms. (BTW google "stevia" for a natural sweetener that the FDA nixed due to corporate pressure)

Your friend has Muscular Dystrophy. That's a horrible bitch, but still does not preclude mushrooms. If MD is getting him/her down, the magic might even help. Check this.

I would never recommend mushrooms to anyone who was in a state of despair. If your friend has a good attitude about himself, I give magic mushrooms a green light. JMO

--------------------
Don't panic!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: ticktock]
    #3581855 - 01/04/05 09:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

From http://www.diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes.jsp

'Complications
Having type 1 diabetes increases your risk for many serious complications. Some complications of type 1 diabetes include: heart disease (cardiovascular disease), blindness (retinopathy), nerve damage (neuropathy), and kidney damage (nephropathy). Learn more about these complications and how to cope with them."

He mentioned taking insulin so I'm assuming type 1. If this is the case then mushrooms would not be bad. Nothing to do with sugar but everything to do with heart problems.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinelokiean
Stranger
Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: ticktock]
    #3581862 - 01/04/05 09:51 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

AH another thing to take into consideration. He is on medication to thin the blood for blood clots. Im really gonna have to say No go. Being safe is the most important thing .

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

#3581876 - 01/04/05 09:55 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

lokiean said:
AH another thing to take into consideration. He is on medication to thin the blood for blood clots. Im really gonna have to say No go. Being safe is the most important thing .

:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleNOS4A2
This is the way

Loc: -tite Flag
Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3581967 - 01/04/05 10:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

How would you explain it if you killed this person- cause you WOULD go to jail buddy!!!! They don't care if you had good intentions!

--------------------

Offlinelokiean
Stranger
Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3583524 - 01/05/05 09:58 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

NOS4A2 my thoughts exactly. Its qactually my wifes friend who wants to do em. My concerns are having the person drop dead. Then im slammed with the death of the person and growing them. im gonna draw the line and tell my wife how it is. No

InvisibleNOS4A2
This is the way

Loc: -tite Flag
    #3583560 - 01/05/05 10:08 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Good thinking

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3583581 - 01/05/05 10:15 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Some(most)times the right thing is hard to do. Best for all.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinelargosnook
2 glassesicewaddawiddice
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gettin' Lucky in Kentucky
Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3583595 - 01/05/05 10:20 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I didn't know this about mushrooms shooting the blood pressure through the roof. High blood pressure is an issue throughout my family. After eating mushrooms, I sometimes have pounding headaches, from the blood pressure I'm sure. Also, I've eaten rue with them and this makes the headaches come for a week or two. I had thought that it was from eating some shit I shouldn't eat becuase of the MAOI. Now I know I see its very well possible from the shrooms. Since High Blood Pressure is a deal with me and my family, should I ease up or even stop eating? I don't currently take HBP medication, but I don't want to start any time soon either.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3583655 - 01/05/05 10:38 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I have a friend who is diabetic and shrooms with no problems other than forgetting to monitor his blood sugar levels before and after tripping . He has noticed a significant drop when doing them especially if he does them on empty stomach , he has learned to keep fruit onboard and during his trips and this helps .
Diebetics do not have hand in hand problems with heart trouble that is BS !

Now the MS thing , that could be a worry seeing how MS is a disorder of the muscular system , he could experience tremors and even have a seizure .
On the other hand he could also experience brief moments where his motor skills will slightly improve , there are currently some studies being done with the use of psilocybin as a motor skills inhibitor for advanced cases of Parkinsons , MS and other similar disorders . Also for nueropathy .
If he insists on doing this tell him there is some risk and should only do small dose as experiment , like a half gram max , not enough for a full blown trip , but enough to see how his body will react . And if he has bad experience he should seek medical help at once , and do not lie as to what he took , docs will only be able to help if you are truthfull .

Do not get me wrong I AM NOT SAYING ALL WILL BE OKAY , very risky with the MS factor . And he should be aware that he may have a bad reaction to taking "active" mushrooms , also consider does he take meds other than insulin ?

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3583663 - 01/05/05 10:41 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:

'Complications
Having type 1 diabetes increases your risk for many serious complications. Some complications of type 1 diabetes include: heart disease (cardiovascular disease), blindness (retinopathy), nerve damage (neuropathy), and kidney damage (nephropathy). Learn more about these complications and how to cope with them."

He mentioned taking insulin so I'm assuming type 1. If this is the case then mushrooms would not be bad. Nothing to do with sugar but everything to do with heart problems.

90% of these problems come from the long term and improper use of insulin and diet , not having diabeties itself ! FACT !

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinelokiean
Stranger
Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3583667 - 01/05/05 10:42 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

medication to thin blood. A few bood clot insodents put him in the hostpital

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: largosnook]
    #3583760 - 01/05/05 11:03 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

largosnook said:
I didn't know this about mushrooms shooting the blood pressure through the roof. High blood pressure is an issue throughout my family. After eating mushrooms, I sometimes have pounding headaches, from the blood pressure I'm sure. Also, I've eaten rue with them and this makes the headaches come for a week or two. I had thought that it was from eating some shit I shouldn't eat becuase of the MAOI. Now I know I see its very well possible from the shrooms. Since High Blood Pressure is a deal with me and my family, should I ease up or even stop eating? I don't currently take HBP medication, but I don't want to start any time soon either.

Yes cut back , have your circulatory sytem (bp) checked out , you may have blocked artieris or something that can be remedied before it gets too bad .
Now if you have arithmia problems that is deffinetly a problem with mushies being eaten alot . If you have a doc you trust and is not some close minded old guy he may very well be able to tell you the FULL risk potential especially if will cause problems with any meds you may have to take .

Bottom line folks there is risk in every thing we do everyday of our lives , but some risks are not worth taking and some are damn it just becasue we are human with the need to have vices .

Again I AM NOT TELLING YOU IT IS OKAY ! Just know your boundries , the risks , and your body and mind , and be truthfull with medical personell if you ever have problems . ER suck , they may and will in most cases notify police or phyc wards if they think you are a harm to yourself or others .

GL

PS An aspirin regimine may be all you need to control minor bp problems .

--------------------

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: largosnook]
    #3583771 - 01/05/05 11:06 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

largosnook said:

Only you can answer that question. I don't know that any of us here are liscensed practitioners of medicine so we'd be far from giving expert advice. What advice I will give you is that you should consult your doctor. Just be truthful with him. He's a doctor, not a narcotics agent. Just ask him for his opinions. It's better to be safe than sorry. HBP can cause strokes and that is serious business.

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

#3583777 - 01/05/05 11:09 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

lokiean said:
medication to thin blood. A few bood clot insodents put him in the hostpital

Coumadin or Warfarin ?
That is some nasty shit !
Basically small doses of rat poison .
Hows that for is it safe to take ?
But it does help with clotting , especially those with low bp problems .

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Re: Diabetics and shrooms ?? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3586910 - 01/05/05 11:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tripndicular said:
Quote:

scatmanrav said:

'Complications

90% of these problems come from the long term and improper use of insulin and diet , not having diabeties itself ! FACT !

The point is not that diabetes causes or goes hand in hand with heart problems...what I said was OFTEN diabetes patients [for whatever reason], especially type 1 according to the site, have heart conditions. If this is the case then I recommend not taking them [with a heart problem].

There are risks we take everyday...however you need to be informed of the risk your taking. This person came asking information on what risks his wifes friend may face..I provided those not expecting a rebuttle...nothings written in stone and says the person couldnt do it but it shhould be known that a: type 1 diabetics often have heat problems and b: people with heart problems should refrain from using (or at least limit yourself) mushrooms (or other psychadelics for that matter IMO).

This is all just my opinion on what safty and peice of mind is worth, take it as you will.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies