Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: DXM

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

sleep walking/talking
    #3586382 - 01/05/05 11:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I was reading the post about sleep paralysis and found everybodys experiences and reasoning for its occurance to be quite interesting. So I was just wondering does anyone else have any experiences with sleep walking or talking? Also I was wondering if anyone knows why it occurs?

I have had some experiences with sleep walking before mainly when I was younger. I used to sleep walk sometimes, not on a regular basis, but did have some experiences. Once I even got up walked right into my kitchen, where my parents and one of their friends were. They were at our kitchen table and I apparently sat down and began talking with them, however I was completely asleep. The only reason I know this ever happened was that my parents told me I came in sat down starting talking to them, but they could tell I wasn't awake. Also I have been told that some of my brothers and sisters used to sleep walk when they were younger, often walking into closets or other various places of the house.

Now I haven't had done anything like this in quite a long time, however more recently I have had experienced sleep paralysis. I was just thinking is there some change that the human brain goes through as it matures such that different behaviors in these in between-conciousness states occurs? Such as we get older we are less prone to walk in our sleep and possibly become more prone to other activities or could these just be completely unrelated?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: sleep walking/talking [Re: relativexistance]
    #3586591 - 01/06/05 12:16 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The way I understand it, sleep paralysis and sleepwalking are exact opposites.  In sleep paralysis the body is 'asleep' while the mind is 'awake'.  In sleepwalking the mind is 'asleep' while the body is 'awake'.  This is sort of over-simplifying it but thats the basic idea.

I have had sleep paralysis all my life but I have never had an incident of sleepwalking.  However, I do believe that if a person is prone to one they might also be susceptible to the other.

Then again, I'm just guessing. :confused:

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineShroom_Herder
Get In...
 User Gallery

Loc: Where The Magic Trees Gro...
Re: sleep walking/talking [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #3586640 - 01/06/05 12:23 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I sleep masturbate...

--------------------
We Can't Stop Here, This Is Bat Country

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: sleep walking/talking [Re: Shroom_Herder]
    #3586695 - 01/06/05 12:30 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroom_Herder said:
I sleep masturbate...

Don't we all.... :smirk:

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3586713 - 01/06/05 12:34 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I once had a sleep walking fun time at a LAN party. My sleeping pattern was extremely fucked up, from staying up for days, drinking lots of coffee, not getting enough to eat, typical LAN party things, not to mention it was cold in the place and I didn't have enough protection from it, and I went to sleep. I remember being cold, and combined with the coffee, my body just got up and started walking around, but I thought I was sleeping. I looked down hallways, and it seemed nightmarish, but I had no clue I was actually walking. I wasn't even lucid dreaming, it was just like I was in a regular dream watching it with no control over what I was doing, though it had more of a horror movie feel. People tell me I walked shirtless into the computer room and looked at black turned off monitors, as if there they were on and someone was playing a game, and eventually I tried to kick people out of their sleeping bags and take them because I was cold. I forget where I ended up though.

Would I do it again? Most certainly. It reminded me in ways of experiences I've had with drugs before, except a completely different and mostly dysphoric feeling.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineShroom_Herder
Get In...
 User Gallery

Loc: Where The Magic Trees Gro...
Re: sleep walking/talking [Re: Ravus]
    #3586739 - 01/06/05 12:37 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Now you can trip... LEGALLY! Dont Eat, Dont Sleep, Play Video Games for 3 weeks strait, drink coffee and freeze your ass off...

--------------------
We Can't Stop Here, This Is Bat Country

OfflineTrainwreck
No. Really.

Loc: Southern California
    #3586748 - 01/06/05 12:39 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds good.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3586767 - 01/06/05 12:42 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Or you could combine a few beers, 600 milligrams DXM cough syrup, a few percocets and lots of marijuana. Probably extremely dangerous, but it had similar effects to sleepwalking in the end, except with puking and lots of falling over. Similar dysphoric feeling though.

I think my mind sort of rebelled against all the shit I was taking and just turned into walking dream mode that night. But I digress off topic...

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineCrestfallen
some kindasomethin'

#3587159 - 01/06/05 02:42 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Once when I was 7 I had a dream that I was pissing in a toilet. I woke up standing in my dark living room pissing all over the floor.

--------------------
The above statement is completely fictional and composed solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Offlineonlyme
Stranger
Loc: here
    #3587261 - 01/06/05 03:12 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

My parents used to find me under my bed or under the kitchen table, soundly asleep. I aso would do lots of other things, and sometimes i would remember doing them as though they were dreams. Like all kids i grew out of it.

In REM sleep our bodies are basically paralysed, to protect us from harming ourselves by acting out dreams (ever have dreams of being chased by the police or a monster and you can't run?). If you are sleep walking, you are acting out dreams during a phase other than REM, and vice versa for sleep paralysis, i.e. your body can't move during REM sleep while your mind is aware of it. I know i am also over-simplifying here, and i might be wrong with the details, so read up on it for yourself.

Something else started happening to me during daytime naps a few years ago that i still cannot quite figure out. I fall into a light sleep, and then suddenly feel this small electrical charge in my body. It grows and grows until it gets so strong that it overpowers me, makes it very hard to move let alone breathe, and i have to fight it off. Sometimes i think that if it got any stronger either my brain would be fried or i would be stuck in a vegetative state for years and years, or both. It feels like electricity. Afterwords my mind feels sharp, energetic, and free of cobwebs. There are small variations as well. The last time it happened, about two days ago, i fought it off twice, and then the third time there was a loud pop (so loud to me that i thought maybe my wife next to me heard it) and then it dissipated. On another occasion during a nap i actually made it happen. For some reason i imagined my mind as a ball of thread, and i started to unroll it out until i zapped onto the electricity and brought it to me.

I have looked and looked on the internet and havent found anything similar. I found another phenomenon where some people are seemingly affected by electro-magnetic fields. But i have not read about anyone having the same type of experience as mine. All i have read about is people having migrains and sleep disturbances such as not being able to sleep. I have none of the symptoms that the websites listed for sufferers of EMFs. But i figure that somehow i am sucking energy from an EMF like a vampire on a woman's neck. Its either that or my neurons are misfiring.

Ok, sorry for the long post. Just wanted to add this in to see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

InvisibleAdden
Saprotrophic Specimen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
Re: sleep walking/talking [Re: onlyme]
    #3587499 - 01/06/05 04:30 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting posts. The brain is simply astounding.

My girlfriend tells me I talk in my sleep all the time. On the rare occasion something coherent comes out, it's only a word or two, then back to gibberish.

A few years ago I used to hang out in my friend's basement all the time. I was burned out from smoking earlier in the day and had a few percs, so I layed down and took a nap. This girl I scored nug from on campus came to his house in the dream, along with her hot friend. I knew it was a dream, as the three couches were pulled away from the wall and there was no longer a television. I refused to accept it and let the dream ride. Anyway, in the dream my friend tells them to get the fuck out there's too many people. I tell him to shut the fuck up, they're hot broads with pot and wanna chill.. the oddest part is in my dream I heard myself say it, when my sleeping body on the couch was just spouting gibberish, which I also heard at the same time.

I think it's because the language/speaking part of the brain is relatively inactive during REM sleep?

OfflineNoman
Stranger
Loc: Boston
    #3587915 - 01/06/05 09:23 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Heh, I used to do the sleepwalking/pissing thing when I was little, myself. It seems that, instead of wetting the bed, I would just sleepwalk to the bathroom...which was never actually the bathroom, unfortunately. It only happened like twice, though, I've never sleepwalked since. It does seem like people are more prone to sleepwalking at a younger age, at any rate, maybe for the same reasons people are more prone to wetting the bed at that age.

"I think it's because the language/speaking part of the brain is relatively inactive during REM sleep?"

That does make a lot of sense, now that you've said that, as I can't think of any dreams I ever had that involved detailed conversation of any sort--most of my dreams, anyway, are imagery, emotion, and tiny bits of speech. Even with those tiny bits, what I remember is rarely word for word, because it was probably never put into words exactly. I never really thought about the role of speech in dreams before, huh.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: DXM

Community >> The Pub