Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Peruvian Torch, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Grafting lophphora to columnar cacti
    #3585721 - 01/05/05 09:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The problem I wondering about is as follows: If one had a clump of lophophora with a plenty of pups and wanted to remove just the big ones to graft to columnar cactus because the stock of pereskiopsis wasn't ready for the puppies how or should one go about it? Will the cacti heal itself if the big buttons are removed? Thanks for your advice.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Grafting lophphora to columnar cacti [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #3585734 - 01/05/05 09:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

read the ethnobotanical garden FAQ.
it's sticked to the top.

FH

OfflineOrangeVWCamper
"Tie Dye'dBandit"

Loc: Florida
Re: Grafting lophphora to columnar cacti [Re: felixhigh]
    #3586703 - 01/06/05 12:31 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yes. It will heal itself. You could either gently twist the larger pups off or cut them off the mother. If the pups are big enough. Once removed from the mother. You could slice, preferably horizontally, about 2/3 of even halfway down and graft that to the columnar cacti and also graft the other piece to another columnar cacti. That way nothing is wasted and you end up producing two separate cacti. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Grafting lophphora to columnar cacti [Re: OrangeVWCamper]
    #3590273 - 01/06/05 08:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thankyou, I will keep you updated (I want to take pics). This garden was inspired by all of the help recieved here with other botanicals. I think its really gotten off the ground, though the variety isn't quite what I'd like it to be. When you say slice 1/2 and then graft to two separate cacti (which happens to be the number of columnar I would be grafting to) won't 1/2 of the button be root-side up? Does that matter? (I'm guessing no since you suggested it) I suppose I should also tell you a bit about the sizes of the lophophora group. The two big ones, the ones I'm concerned about grafting most are about the size of a gumball or the size of a quarter on the top.
This is what I would have to work with hypothetically:

2 two gumball size buttons

22 puppies about the size of a pencil eraser

10 pereskiopsis, which are not ready to graft to yet (they need to multiply)

Approximately 25 lophophora seedlings about 3 monthes old and the size of Q-tip rods around and 1/2-3/4 cm tall.

1 approximately 14" high San Pedro

1 approximately 16" high Peruvian Torch

Ok so that's the hypothetical ingrediants. Hypothetically one could just sit tight and keep cloning pereskiopsis till I had lots. I don't really want to do that because I don't want a lot of plants, even the number I have right now is too many. I have thought of buying some columnar seeds and raising them for the puppies, would that work (only growing the columnar till they were about 4" tall then grafting)? Then the two big one could go to the two big columnar. The seeds could go to the perskiopsis one they've multiplied more. Again though, that's a lot of plants. The main reason I want to graft now is so that I basically 1/2 my number of plants. Can you graft multiple puppies, or buttons to a single big columnar? I have wondered about that too. I would like it if everyone brainstormed and helped me come up with the best plan to minimize space and # of plants. I don't really more than 20 or so pereskiopsis, to have like 40 perskiopsis all grafted is just too much for me; its more than I need or want for a garden.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Peruvian Torch, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden