Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
I've been trying to stay away from politics but this pisses me off!
    #3585633 - 01/05/05 08:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

So here's the low down: the Washington State governer's race was really tight. The first vote tally had the the Republican Dino Rossi up by about 260 votes and the Democrat Christine Gregoire called it a "tie" and demanded recounts. First recount: Rossi wins again by 49 votes. So naturally democrats Demand for another hand recount in King County where they know they will pick up more votes. Low and behold, Christine Gregoire comes out 129 votes ahead is certified as winner and will probobly become the governer.

Now this is seriously ridiculous, after 3 recounts, one of which was Al Gore style targeting disporportionately Democract areas, she comes out with half of the margin her opponent had which she called a "tie" vote, and all of a sudden she is the legitimate winner. The reason she can get away with such a blatent theft is because Washington State has traditionaly been solidly Democract and Gregouire has alot of freinds in Olympia.

It is completely unfair when they simply recount until the prefered side comes up and then call her the winner. Come on, the lady lost 2 out of 3, and her margin was questionable at best. How is she now the legitimate winner? If she had lost the third recount I wonder how many more times they would have to count the votes again to get her elected? It seems set up that she HAD to win by default.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002139731_recount04m.html

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: I've been trying to stay away from politics but this pisses me off! [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3585879 - 01/05/05 09:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thankfully, a long drawn out court battle awaits.

If I were in Washington, I don't think I'd be too thrilled about another election. But I would absolutely support tallying the votes a few more times. And Gregoire should have the decency to push back her inuaguration until that can happen.

The main problem here is people just acting like vaginas.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: I've been trying to stay away from politics but this pisses me off! [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3585884 - 01/05/05 09:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

the republican rossi would win in a recount, just like in Ukraine. the only thing missing is the democrats did not slip DIOXIN in rossi's coffee.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #3587986 - 01/06/05 09:46 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

heh, the thing that I thought was funny about this WA election bullshit is how rossi was all ready to go when he was ahead by 49, he was already picking his staff and calling himself the governor-elect and such.  but now that gregoire is supposedly ahead by over twice that after a hand recount we need a new election to "restore public faith in our voting process and the results" :lol: :rolleyes:.  i thought whining and bitching about elections turning out differently than you wanted was only a democrat thing :smirk:, nice to see the republicans have no shame in doing the same thing they seem to talk shit about the dems for doing every time it's been brought up since bush won in 2000.

FWIW, I voted for neither of them and would do the same if we had a re election.

I just think this is pure comedy :smirk:, I figured rossi won after he was ahead by 260 or whatever and was fine with that, but this is a nice twist. 

DH

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3588447 - 01/06/05 12:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Why don't they simply make voters vote electronically? Wouldn't that solve a lot of problems? Your nation is leading the world market on the field of technology, is it not?

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: I've been trying to stay away from politics but this pisses me off! [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3588533 - 01/06/05 12:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

the problem is with provisional ballots. for example in king county 3,500 more ballots were cast than actual voters registered!!! lots of ballots have shown up in other counties all from the same address.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002136418_recount31m.html

where is jimmy carter when you need him???

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: I've been trying to stay away from politics but this pisses me off! [Re: spores]
    #3589324 - 01/06/05 04:48 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DH said:
heh, the thing that I thought was funny about this WA election bullshit is how rossi was all ready to go when he was ahead by 49, he was already picking his staff and calling himself the governor-elect and such.  but now that gregoire is supposedly ahead by over twice that after a hand recount we need a new election to "restore public faith in our voting process and the results" :lol: :rolleyes:.  i thought whining and bitching about elections turning out differently than you wanted was only a democrat thing :smirk:, nice to see the republicans have no shame in doing the same thing they seem to talk shit about the dems for doing every time it's been brought up since bush won in 2000.

FWIW, I voted for neither of them and would do the same if we had a re election.

I just think this is pure comedy :smirk:, I figured rossi won after he was ahead by 260 or whatever and was fine with that, but this is a nice twist. 

DH

This is true, and it clearly goes both ways. Gregouire who said 260 was too small of a margin for a legitimate winner says that its time to stop counting when she is up by 129, half of that. I still think Rossi has the stronger case though. As for the 49, it was the second count, that made his probability of a win higher even his vote margin was lower.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion