Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinelePage
Strangler
Loc: toronto
the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...?
    #3583090 - 01/05/05 06:10 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i just went over The Economy Semi-Automated Terrarium and i plan on going with that but i have a few questions and would like to know if its the best way to go. The only questions i have regarding it are: is it necessary to have the air pump (cost isnt an issue, just wondering if its worthwhile)? with this terrarium do u not need to worry about moisture building on the lid and dripping on ur mushies? and i also like to know how many hours of light a day mushrooms can get, cause the room im keeping them in get a minimum of 12.

i rushed my first and last grow, i dont want to get into to details but i managed to get 2 decent sized mushrooms, that grew on seperate occasions and i ate each seperately and got a mild buzz with minimal visuals with the last one (overall i got a weird feeling as if i were living in a fantasy world). i still have one small mushroom growing out of one of my cakes, but its growing really slowly cause of the conditions i have it in.

so if any one could give me tips or driect me to a link to an almost fail-proof, easy to make terrarium itd be appreciated.

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...? [Re: lePage]
    #3583212 - 01/05/05 07:20 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

search the forums for the poor man's pod.

the air pump is neccessary because mushrooms, like us, take in o2 and give off CO2. they need air exchange... not enough air exchange and your mushrooms will have stunted growth and look unhealthy.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflinelePage
Strangler
Loc: toronto
Re: the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...? [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3583326 - 01/05/05 08:26 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

thanks a lot zero armry, i am definately gonna use that method (but with an aquarium, i cant find a good air tight rubbermaid that takes in light and seeing ur shrooms growing through a window looks cool, makes me feel like a scientist). heres a link to it for anyone who is in the same situation as me http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25056/sty/print/spl/0/par/25056/.

is giving mushrooms more than 12 hrs of light a day a bad thing? whats the difference between geolite and perlite?

Edited by lePage (01/05/05 08:37 AM)

Offlinekiss
numbnuts
 User Gallery

Loc: under your bed
Re: the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...? [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3583336 - 01/05/05 08:29 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Never did the cake thing....when I started I went right into casing. But I see alot of folks on here using the poor mans pod (pmp) with good results. People seem to like it.
after reading afew grow logs posted on here with people using the poormans pod, I'm almost inclined to try it for the hell of it.
I like hand fanning though, besides i'm always standing right in front of them watching them like watching the grass grow....mays well do something while i'm there :wink:

--------------------
see dick drink
see dick drive
see dick die
don't be a dick!

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...? [Re: lePage]
    #3583367 - 01/05/05 08:48 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Depending on how big of a setup you plan on , this setup is easy to make , maintain , and is expandable , fully automated if you take the steps to make it so .

10 gallon fish tank = 10-20$ (reptile style with hole drilled into bottom cost more)found at any pet store
Lexan lid , precut at Home Depot = 8-12$ Home Depot or similar
Variable flow fish pump , sized for 80 gal tank = 20$ any pet shop
TropicAire humidifier\air exchanger = 20$ PETCO or online
fish tubing and fittings to assemble and handle for lid = 10$ any pet store
also needed is 5 min epoxy for attaching fittings to the lexan lid = 3$
Total cost aprox = 72$-82$

This can also be done on larger tanks , can be expanded easily to add tanks , the only catch is the airexchanger is good for tanks up to 55 gal , rh gets  low if go beyond that , but adding another airexchanger will remedy that .
If you like this I can help you with quirks , assembly , and more detailed pics .

GL and happy hunting for a choice .
ps folks call this a poor mans pod (why I have no clue )
This is my idea of a pmp

Chiken hut is what it is , makes great gifts for close friends  :wink:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
Re: the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3583935 - 01/05/05 12:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

glass or plexiglass over the tops works well.  i'm using a sterlite container with clothes piled around it anda  glass top so light enters only the top, w/ perlite and an air pump fed into a 20oz. cut-top water bottle (which gives freshair and humidity) and a florescent on a timer... couldn't have cost more than $50 or so for all my stuff :smile:

Offlinenebukadnezar
Stranger
Re: the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...? [Re: SoK]
    #3583948 - 01/05/05 12:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hello,
i am new to this place, never tripeed before. i will be in paris at the end of this january?can i find shrooms there?because there is no in my contry..
thanks

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3584034 - 01/05/05 12:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

DEAD freezer from any appliance repair place -- FOR FREE. (if you have the room)

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...? [Re: SoK]
    #3584203 - 01/05/05 01:32 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SoK said:
glass or plexiglass over the tops works well.  i'm using a sterlite container with clothes piled around it anda  glass top so light enters only the top, w/ perlite and an air pump fed into a 20oz. cut-top water bottle (which gives freshair and humidity) and a florescent on a timer... couldn't have cost more than $50 or so for all my stuff :smile:

IMO plexi sucks , it warps very easily under high rh conditions .
Glass is okay , but breaks easily for us clutzy types :wink:
Light is not a problem as long as trays are not clear .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Loc: The Other Side
Re: the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3585342 - 01/05/05 05:28 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Just had to get the Freezer plug in, didn't you.. :P

I like your plan, just think they would suspect something if I had 15 old beat up freezers in the apt... HEY!! I'm learning Freezer Repair.. Yaaaaa That's It... Riiiiight......

DG

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...? [Re: DerGeist]
    #3585378 - 01/05/05 05:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

rubbermaid tub

perlite bottom

ready

fan and mist by hand.

:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3585671 - 01/05/05 06:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Plexi glass does not suck in my opinion, i have used in for many years and not had a single problem with it warping. And thats with the RH being around 95-100%

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3586402 - 01/05/05 09:28 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

NOTE, you MUST modify the "Tropicaire" for it to produce enough humidity. (Mine originally only gave me 75%H @ 50%H room air.)

You want a small pump, and split the OUTPUT into three "T"'s.

One line T's into two lines, both those lines T into two more lines each. That will slow down your air output and reduce the "Jet" stream that normally propells out of the hose. If you use a large pump, you will be shooting air through the water so fast that it will not have time to humidify.

The final mod would be to replace the cheap air stone with a 4" solid bubble wand (Light blue tampon looking thing.), or use the 8" flexible version, wrapped into a circle. (The name escapes me.) You can also use those disposable thin white stones, they make smaller bubbles.

That foam is useless. It doesn't absorb, it attempts to capture splashes from popped bubbles. (Wrap it with a few coffee filters for better results, held with rubber bands or a wire tie, NO METAL TIES.)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: the best, cheapest (under 80 bucks) and easiest terrarium to make...? [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3586421 - 01/05/05 09:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

(I am really starting to like the "Poor-Man's POD")

That should be a whole section...

Ghetto-DIY and Excessive-DIY, followed by I-Don't-DIY-I-BUY.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck