Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChrisHippyLoser
Dope Smoker

Loc: Big Tex
stalling pf jar growth in refridgerator
    #3579328 - 01/04/05 02:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

afoaf has 12 pf 1/2 pint jars in the incubator...they were all knocked up in one session...the farthest along is about 90% colonized while the slowest one is about 40%...

if he were to put jars in the refridgerator as they reached 100% colonized, in order to wait for the slower growing ones to fully colonize, would he simply wait for the last jar to colonize then pull the rest out of the refridgerator then move on to fruiting? or would be advisable to pull the jars out of the fridge a day before the last jars has colonized (to give them a chance to warm up and get back into growth) ?

i guess the question more simply is: when refridgerated jars are removed from the cold and put back into warmth, what kind of lag time is there before they start growing again? or does growth rate just directly correspond to temperature?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineQavl
Nookian

Re: stalling pf jar growth in refridgerator [Re: ChrisHippyLoser]
    #3579875 - 01/04/05 04:47 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'd say leave em all in the incubator until they're all ready to be birthed. Really, you want to leave them at incubation temps for a good week or so after 100% colonization anyway...

Are you planning on crumbling and casing all these cakes into one big substrate? If not, hell, just birth em one at a time. What's yer rush? :wink:

--------------------
Birds of a feather...

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: stalling pf jar growth in refridgerator [Re: ChrisHippyLoser]
    #3580260 - 01/04/05 05:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If you are not planning on casing the jars, then there is no problem with refrigerating them, so long as you tape up the inoculation holes because your fridge will be full of potential contaminates. In fact, a "cold shock" for fully colonized substrate can be beneficial, and result in more even and prolific fruiting. There is no problem fruiting jars straight from the fridge.

In my experience, cold shocking does not delay fruiting, because it halts the mycelium growth, so that the process of fruiting actually starts slightly sooner, as the cakes don't waste time growing extra mycelium when the substrate is already fully colonized.

However, I'm curious, is there a special reason for wanting to have all your jars fruit at the same time? For most people, it makes sense to have some jars fruiting before others, as they have limited growing space, plus you don't want to have massive amounts of mushrooms maturing at one time, and then no more for two weeks as all your cakes start the fruiting cycle again. Anyway, that is for you to decide based on your circumstances.

Hope this helps.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: stalling pf jar growth in refridgerator [Re: OJK]
    #3580404 - 01/04/05 06:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You do not want to fridge a non complete jar to wait for the others...if you want to birth them all at once (its easier to do seperate stuff anyway so you dont have to do lots of harvesting or whatever all at once..but I'm speaking of many casings so a little different from a few cakes and may not matter..anyways)...wait until the jars ARE 100% (a few days after the outside is 100% remember) THEN refridgerate (covered with tin foil well of course). They'll be fine for 1-2 months or more. Then dunk, roll and fruit all of them.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineChrisHippyLoser
Dope Smoker

Loc: Big Tex
Re: stalling pf jar growth in refridgerator [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3580494 - 01/04/05 07:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

well this was more of a hypothetical question....mostly for information and future purposes...i'm sure he'll probably go ahead and fruit as they're ready...i'll try to get pics up sometime...he's thining of using several fruiting methods...

thanks all

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation