Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Calls to Postpone Iraqi Elections Grow
    #3578169 - 01/04/05 04:43 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=5&u=/ap/20050104/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_elections

Calls to Postpone Iraqi Elections Grow

By RAWYA RAGEH, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - More Iraqi interim government officials are calling for postponing Jan. 30 elections to ensure a higher Sunni voter turnout, a sign that a campaign of violence might be taking its toll on Iraqi resolve. The country's electoral commission, however, insists that voting take place as scheduled.

Sunni Arab clerics have called for a boycott and Iraq (news - web sites)'s largest Sunni political party announced it was pulling out of the race because of poor security that has seen insurgents kill scores of Iraqi security forces, as well as several election officials, in recent weeks.

Several proposals have been floated lately to counter the threat of a low Sunni turnout that would undermine the legitimacy of the vote ? the country's first free elections since monarchy in 1958. Iraqis are to choose a legislative assembly to draft a constitution.

Defense Minister Hazem Shaalan told reporters in Cairo Monday that he has asked Egypt to try to persuade the Sunnis to participate in the elections.

"And if they agreed, then we could postpone the date to let all Iraqis go to the polls in one day," he said.

Iraq's ambassador to the United Nations (news - web sites) suggested the election could be delayed by two or three weeks. In an opinion piece in The Washington Post last week, Samir al-Sumaidaie proposed that idea and a host of others, including reserving some seats for groups who do poorly if their supporters don't vote ? a clear reference to the Sunnis.

Al-Sumaidaie suggested a number of seats could be left vacant for the Sunni provinces, where elections could be held after Jan. 30.

"Such a solution would have the merit of satisfying all those who want elections as soon as possible, thus denying terrorists a victory while producing a legitimate elected government that could focus on stabilizing the country," he wrote.

But Fareed Ayar, a spokesman for the Independent Electoral Commission, seemed adamant that there would be no delay.

"The commission is still working on holding the elections on its scheduled time and according to the timetable we have," Ayar said Monday.

Commenting on the floating proposals to postpone the elections, including the defense minister's, Ayar said the commission has not been officially notified of any such ideas.

"We read and hear about those statements in the newspapers and the media like others, but we have not formally received anything," Ayar said.

Shiite leaders of the Unified Iraqi Alliance, a mainstream Shiite coalition running in the election and one that is expected to do very well, reached out to Sunni Arabs on Sunday. The group called for talks to avert sectarianism and civil war.

The Shiite leaders, who are backed by Iraq's most influential cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, reiterated the Shiite's staunch stance on going ahead with the elections as scheduled, saying postponing the vote would only create more chaos.

A U.S. embassy spokesman said there has been no talk between the Americans and Iraqi officials on delaying the vote.

"Everything we do in this embassy is to support the Iraqis to have free, fair and inclusive elections on Jan. 30 of this year," Bob Callahan said. "We expect that there will be elections on Jan. 30 and only on Jan. 30 and that the result of those elections would be recognized and honored. That's what the law calls for ... and that's precisely what we're working toward."

Iraqi fundamentalists have taken up al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s claim, made a week ago, that elections are un-Islamic because democracy means the people, not God, are in charge. That translated into attacks on electoral officials and security forces.

Cairo-based political analyst Wahid Abdel Meguid downplayed calls for reaching out to Sunnis, saying Sunnis in Iraq were "hijacked" by radical Islamists, making it hard to find a representative Sunni body to negotiate with.

"It is a last try, and it could be sincere," Abdel Meguid said of Iraqi officials' attempts to postpone the vote until a dialogue with the Sunnis is held. "But who are they going to talk to? Who represents the Sunnis? There is no moderate Sunni entity to negotiate with."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Calls to Postpone Iraqi Elections Grow [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3580286 - 01/04/05 06:03 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Please point out anything in the text of the article that reflects the headline, other than the nebulous "Iraqi interim government officials" cited but unidentified in the first sentence.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Calls to Postpone Iraqi Elections Grow [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3580358 - 01/04/05 06:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, I didn't write it...I merely posted it.

I have heard other people in the news suggest postponement of the elections(other Arab leaders concerned about the violence, etc...).

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3580413 - 01/04/05 06:40 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The more they postpone it the more the threat of violence increases and the less likely elections will ever happen. If the terrorists succeed to get the date pushed back they will just keep working to make sure it is never safe enough for elections, and then accuse the US of running Iraq because they can't have elections.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Calls to Postpone Iraqi Elections Grow [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3580696 - 01/04/05 07:43 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The more they postpone it the more the threat of violence increases and the less likely elections will ever happen

Shit....Iraq is getting almost as violent as L.A.  Oh wait....aren't you moving to L.A.?  :smirk:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3580749 - 01/04/05 07:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You started a thread with this title. You didn't "just post" it.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion