Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
privoxy / tor
    #3575979 - 01/03/05 07:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

http://tor.eff.org/
http://www.privoxy.org/

Pretty neat. I'm using tor to access the shroomery and it works well.

Privoxy is a web proxy and tor make me pretty much anonymous by using a network of computers to send my internet requests. A tad slow but not bad.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecb9fl
Re: privoxy / tor [Re: cb9fl]
    #3587878 - 01/06/05 08:44 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Apparently people don't care or don't understand the power of these programs.

Your true identity (IP) is masked through the use of these programs. There would be no realistic way for your browsing activities to be recorded if you use privoxy/tor. Even checking your IP at whatismyipaddress.com will show a different IP than your's.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineRisingTzun
WanderingMinstrel
Male

Loc: The Ville, A Vast Expanse
    #3589016 - 01/06/05 03:08 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

On average, how much slower would connection run through those proxies?

--------------------
My heart beat quickened and I nervously glanced at the walls. With widened eyes I witnessed the birth of the world as the walls began to breath and the floor swirled and rose into mountains and valleys. A new door was opened in my mind. One that will never again remain shut.

Offlinecb9fl
Re: privoxy / tor [Re: RisingTzun]
    #3590322 - 01/06/05 08:41 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It all depends on the people running tor servers. They can set a bandwidth limit which will affect your connection.

Depending on the tor servers the lag can range from miniscule to a few seconds. In any case I just open threads or web pages in new tabs so by the time I'm finished with one another has loaded.

It is very similiar to jap if you've ever tried that program.

Quote:

Privoxy is a web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities for protecting privacy, modifying web page content, managing cookies, controlling access, and removing ads, banners, pop-ups and other obnoxious Internet junk. Privoxy has a very flexible configuration and can be customized to suit individual needs and tastes. Privoxy has application for both stand-alone systems and multi-user networks.

Quote:

Your traffic is safer when you use Tor, because communications are bounced around a distributed network of servers, called onion routers. Instead of taking a direct route from source to destination, data packets on the Tor network take a random pathway through several servers that cover your tracks so no observer at any single point can tell where the data came from or where it's going. This makes it hard for recipients, observers, and even the onion routers themselves to figure out who and where you are. Tor's technology aims to provide Internet users with protection against "traffic analysis," a form of network surveillance that threatens personal anonymity and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security.p/quote]

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #3593567 - 01/07/05 02:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

this almost deserves a crosspost into Security and Safety

Offlinecb9fl
Re: privoxy / tor [Re: debianlinux]
    #3594085 - 01/07/05 04:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

After I posted it I started thinking about moving it. Could one of the admin/mods move/crosslink this with Security and Safety?

--------------------

InvisibleSorted
Monkee
Loc: UK
    #4324574 - 06/22/05 01:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I finally got around to installing this and seems to work well. I've heard people saying it's no different than chaining anonymous proxies together but they've missed another aspect of Tor, that data is encrypted as it leaves your computer so anyone snooping at your net provider or the onion routers can't see a thing.

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: privoxy / tor [Re: Sorted]
    #4324639 - 06/22/05 01:59 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i tried using tor, it booted up the command prompt and told me it was working in under 10 seconds of loading it. BS. no networking program loads into a network that fast.

tried setting my browser proxy to 8118 and it did nothing. also tried opening the required ports and still nothing. did i do something wrong here?

InvisibleSorted
Monkee
Loc: UK
Re: privoxy / tor [Re: yousuck]
    #4324728 - 06/22/05 02:33 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

is Privoxy running? Did you edit the configuration file like the instructions say?

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: privoxy / tor [Re: Sorted]
    #4325880 - 06/22/05 07:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i dont use privoxy. tor said i could just use tor with my browser. i got switchproxy if i can use the two together. i heard someone mention before that it was possible.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology