Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChrisHippyLoser
Dope Smoker

Loc: Big Tex
question for someone who knows a good bit more about chemistry than i do
    #3574736 - 01/03/05 01:03 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i've beeb interested in extractions for a number of years now...i kinda wish i'd of paid better attention back in college chemistry...

i found an ad for "Aldritch 44,589-4 Poly(ethylene glycol) dimethyl ether. This a usefull phase transfer catalyst in many organic reactions, and can be a usefull emulsifier in some photography applications. "

could this be useful? can it be used as a solvent? thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineQavl
Nookian

Re: question for someone who knows a good bit more about chemistry than i do [Re: ChrisHippyLoser]
    #3579794 - 01/04/05 04:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Diethyl ether by itself is a very good non-polar solvent.

It is, however, rediculously explosive, and you're better off using xylene or naptha.

--------------------
Birds of a feather...

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: question for someone who knows a good bit more about chemistry than i do [Re: Qavl]
    #3579881 - 01/04/05 04:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yup, just light a smoke around that stuff & you will find out what a BAD HAIR DAY ....IS. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinedumbsnake34
Crazy Dude
Re: question for someone who knows a good bit more about chemistry than i do [Re: ChrisHippyLoser]
    #3583318 - 01/05/05 10:24 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

ether is something that should only be used in a lab by a chemist. I am a chemist and I try to avoid ether because it is very volitle, explosive and toxic. You can however mix it with alcohol to make it less volitle and less dangerous. But I still recommend that you use an alternative solvent, but make sure and remove all of the solvent before ingesting as many solvents are toxic.

--------------------
mmmm, daydreaming

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: question for someone who knows a good bit more about chemistry than i do [Re: dumbsnake34]
    #3584571 - 01/05/05 04:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Not to mention what happens to ether that isn't stored well. You get peroxide formation, and ether peroxide can explode if you look at it the wrong way or use bad language around it. And you really don't want anything to explode when it's surrounded by a litre of ether.

Fireballs in your home aren't fun.

OfflineQavl
Nookian

Re: question for someone who knows a good bit more about chemistry than i do [Re: Openminded]
    #3584804 - 01/05/05 05:45 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Oh yeah, I forgot that bit about the peroxides! A lot of times they'll form around the lid of the jar, and when you open it the friction is enough....

I've heard professional labs keep very small containers of it, and what portion they don't use they just discard instead of trying to re-store it safely.

Maybe that's why the ethylene glycol is in there, to stabilize it a bit... anyway, the hardware store and some test evaporations should get you clean enough solvents for whatever you're going to do. :smile:

--------------------
Birds of a feather...

OfflineChrisHippyLoser
Dope Smoker

Loc: Big Tex
Re: question for someone who knows a good bit more about chemistry than i do [Re: Qavl]
    #3584978 - 01/05/05 06:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

thanks a lot guys!

i was more just curious, i don't plan on attempting any extractions any time soon. i'd probably give it a shot if i could get my hands on some more pure chemicals, but the idea of using industrial grade solvents that were never meant for ingestion just doesn't set too well with me.

i've read many methods which seemed to all be about the same, using naptha or white gas and everclear. anybody have practical experience with something like this? for extracting lsa and/or psilocybin/psilosin?

i'd love to hear reports adn guidance from somebody who has actually done it successfully...

thanks

Edited by ChrisHippyLoser (01/05/05 06:25 PM)

Offlineillahee
Content Observer
Male
    #3587005 - 01/06/05 01:44 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

my friend tried an lsa extraction on about 3000 lsa seeds a few weeks ago.  He ground up the lsa in a coffe grinder (the seeds got hot being ground up....and he think this destroyed much of the lysergic acid amide)  He then performed a naptha extraction with VM&P naptha....pretty shitty stuff, left particles behind after evap test.....

He then mixed the dried filtrate with a lot of water, some with ISA, and some with moonshine.  He drank the water and got pretty high, no visuals though and offset the naseau with some weed.  the second time on water he got very naseous and went to bed.  the moonshine he drank after sitting for three days (filtered first) and he got pretty high (no naseau) and then he went to bed (no visuals) had some nice dreams :smile:  and the ISA extraction had no effect at all....had been exposed to heat and light for too long....

My friend said when he gets a still going to make moonshine he'll try the extraction again with some reagant grade naptha...but he's crazy as shit.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology