Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Refrigerator air purifier good for terrarium?
    #3573671 - 01/03/05 01:30 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Would this be bad to put into a small terrarium that holds 12 cakes. I think it might raise the oxygen but is it too much, would it mess up the environment.

Neo Tec Ionic Refrigerator Air Purifier (Oreck has one too, it's the same thing)

http://www.cetsolar.com/neotec.htm

--------------------
check out www.island.org Started by Bruce Eisner, it's an organization trying to make Island by Aldous Huxley a reality.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Refrigerator air purifier good for terrarium? [Re: Elfmachine]
    #3574223 - 01/03/05 05:31 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That is just your basic ionizer... but it withstands humidity...

Creates OZONE, not oxygen... (Ozone kills molds, bacteria, animals)

The reason OZONE was once popular was because it claimed to "Eliminate odors, and kills molds and bacteria"

OZONE does ... kill molds and bacteria but not at human safe levels.
OZONE does NOT ... eliminate odor... It blocks your nose/tongue taste buds/smell and stops you from smelling what is in the air. (The odor is still there, ask your neighbors, or turn off the OZONE machine.)

Every house has an OZONE generator called a TV, and COMPUTER... Any device which has a large collection of dust on it, larger than normal, is creating ozone.

In order for this device to be legally sold, it has to create OZONE levels so low that they will not interfere with human life... (Lower than 50 PPM, medical standard limits.) Chances are that this only creates enough OZONE to dull your sense of smell, which is like 10 PPM.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/03/05 05:35 AM)

OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Re: Refrigerator air purifier good for terrarium? [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3575021 - 01/03/05 02:48 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

sooo ridiculous that you know that.

could i buy this and use it (mostly during fruiting)? Does it actually collect dust and stuff, is it safe? would it be safe in a tiny terrarium?
is it even practicle, is there any other small inexpensive air filter i can get?

--------------------
check out www.island.org Started by Bruce Eisner, it's an organization trying to make Island by Aldous Huxley a reality.

Edited by Elfmachine (01/03/05 02:50 PM)

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3575038 - 01/03/05 02:55 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

> is there any other small inexpensive air filter i can get?

Tyvek

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3575132 - 01/03/05 03:31 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I use the orecks around the house and they don't use ozone they use a ionizer. Ozone kills mold and such but it also kills mushroom spores so that wasn't an option. I do know this, since using the orecks I haven't had a contam and I do the work on my casings by opening the martha all the way and doing what I need to do. (guaranteed green when I use to do this before to the point where I opened the martha for 5 minutes once by mistake and lost 18 casings to green)

For once I'm glad that a late night bong session watching some infomercial cause I was to lazy to get up to pick up the remote paid off. I would gladly get on TV and yell out "you can't clean the air unless you move the air" with that goofy old man and the blond bimbo any day.  :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: Refrigerator air purifier good for terrarium? [Re: Magash]
    #3576472 - 01/03/05 09:46 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

ionizers are ozone generators...

That creates ozone, but a lot less... like 5 ppm as opposed to the 20 ppm you might have made before.

They add ions to O2 {oxygen you live off-of} and turn them into O3 {oxygen you get sick from}

http://www.air-zone.com/truth.html
http://www.patienthealthinternational.com/conditionarchive/cond0_item3884.aspx
http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=50328
http://www.netasia.net/users/truehealth/Negative%20Ion%20Therapy.htm

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (01/03/05 10:00 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Refrigerator air purifier good for terrarium? [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3576530 - 01/03/05 10:04 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

But there is quiet a difference weather you use a negative or positive charge. Ionizer's have not been found to be harmful.

In fact this statement was taken off of one of the links you just put up "If they were purchased only for allergies to particulates*, then you bought the wrong product. You should have purchased a non-ozone-producing negative ion generator instead."

I agree with ya believe me after years spent in these rooms and 8 years in the air conditioning business (sucks being on roof tops and computer rooms all day) I have looked pretty deep into this.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
Re: Refrigerator air purifier good for terrarium? [Re: Magash]
    #3578277 - 01/04/05 06:24 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

There is a difference in the two

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: Refrigerator air purifier good for terrarium? [Re: Cosm]
    #3578376 - 01/04/05 08:16 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

What it was saying was that those that say they create "Negative" really do nothing... (You are wasteing electricity for a novelty sold under the ploy of bennifit, gain.) Negative ion generators create negative ions that you will never be affected by, because they are gone before they exit the unit... and they do nothing anyways... positive or negative, to you. However, these "Negative" ion generators do create more positive ions then negative, which do escape. 4- and 8+ = 4+ ions. (However, they only create 0.05, not the 5 like I stated. (EG, no more than a TV)

So, to answer your question from above...

NO, you will not gain by using that device, or any other device like it. You can find other ways to waste money.

NOTE: Electro-stat filters work in a similar manner as the Ionic-Breeze. They create both negative and positive ions on seporate plates. One gets drawn to the other as molecules hit the charged plates. However, in the end, you have an addition of ozone created because there are more positive ions that get unused by the units.

Electro-stats / ionizers only remove 50% efficiency particles from 5 microns to 50 microns... larger are too heavy, smaller just pass through. They are used only because they are great for general filtering in Mass-Air-Flow situations, but NEED a pre/post filter to be effective. (They are great for extending the life of your filters only.) Hepa is 0.1 micron and larger at 99.98% and 0.01 at 50%

It would be more bennificial to put a mini-hepa in your fridge.

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (01/04/05 08:26 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation