Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
Are you CRAZY!?
    #3569677 - 01/02/05 02:29 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This is a question I've asked myself for a long time:

If you know that you are crazy, are you still crazy? Or are you not crazy until you are totally oblivious to your own insanity. Alot of people know me to be an eccentric person, but I don't think anyone would call me crazy. I think I'm crazy, although it's hard to tell. It's not as simple as just taking a blood test and saying, "yup, you've tested positive for insanity."  Maybe everyone's crazy and we're all trying to hide it from each other... :crazy2:

Edited by soulmotion (01/02/05 03:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSprings
Mine(d)
Male User Gallery

Loc: sky hi
Re: Are you CRAZY!? [Re: soulmotion]
    #3569699 - 01/02/05 02:37 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The crazy person thinks there getting saner. I read that once and it scared me because thats how I think. So Im crazy :laugh:

OfflineI2ancid
josh hartnett,movie star actor
 User Gallery

Loc: psycholand
    #3569722 - 01/02/05 02:45 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Crazy is just a word society uses to explain people they can't understant. You cannot comprehend altered states without having experienced them yourself. You can look at the symptoms of it, like taking an apple from a tree and showing it to someone, sure they can see the fruit, but they can't see the source of which the fruit was formed simply by looking at the fruit.

Being crazy is more or less an inability to reform or recognize the accepted behavior government and society expect to create a medium of some sort. Society is a common level we use to communicate our thoughts and form a sense of being able to relate.

If a very classy rich snob went into a commoners house all fancy and eating food at the table with 10 different forks and knives and laughing in a very low mono tone they would label her crazy even though she was brought up to do that, if she can't reform to the expectations of the commoners while they eat their food with 1 fork and laugh a deep humbling laugh she is crazy.

On a note of schizophrenia, in what I've seen in my researches, the best way a well known psychiatrist has explained the raw effects of schizophrenia in a way people can understand is that the schizophrenic "constantly continues to expand their horizons of truth and meaning. Without intervention, the schizophrenic can go so far as to lose ability to function in society and become self sufficient citizens."

--------------------
I went to st thomas and camped out ontop of the island... Despite my entire family being poor all my life, the land is priceless.
I was chased by haitians in the main city charlotte amalie when my girlfriend and I got some cocaine for free in a bar and mixed it with alcohol, to form a stronger drug. With such confidence at 2am, we walked the 4-5 or so miles down to the beach where the african slaves lie like lions waiting on tourist prey.

The war isen't on drugs... the war is on the causes that influence people to abuse drugs. drug-abuse is a by-product of the system and much like radioactive waste occurs from utilizing nuclear power, drug addicts with drug-problems will need to be properly disposed of, like the decaying radioactive waste produced from nuclear energy. -i2ancid

Edited by I2ancid (01/02/05 02:54 AM)

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
    #3569739 - 01/02/05 02:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Insanity: Unsoundness of mind sufficient in the judgment of a civil court to render a person unfit to maintain a contractual or other legal relationship or to warrant commitment to a mental health facility.

Sounds to me like the definition is rather subjective..  or scary, actually.  That's straight from Dictionary.com, stating that one who is unfit to follow the laws of the court is not sane.

You could make the point that a person loses their sanity when they begin to lose touch with reality, but I wouldn't do that in the S&P forums.  I mean, there's how that person views/interprets reality, how other people view/interpret reality, how other people view/interpret the Insane person, how he/she/it views itself, etc.

Personally I think anyone who isn't crazy is way too sane for their own good.  :shrug:

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

OfflineI2ancid
josh hartnett,movie star actor
 User Gallery

Loc: psycholand
Re: Are you CRAZY!? [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #3569767 - 01/02/05 03:00 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Drink, I almost had a mental breakdown from researching schizophrenia and I concluded in a moment that all the schizophrenia resources were a trap implemented in the system to contain those who begin thinking outside the bounds and by you associating schizophrenia with yourself you are convinced by the resources that you have a serious mental condition that must be helped before you go too far which seemed to cause a domino effect which I stopped before complete break by standing up and trying to forget what I read and breathing heavily to ground myself.

I also learned alot from it too so choosing not to post it here is irrelevant, later in their life they will encounter a precipation and whether it be then or now is irrelevant they will still have to learn how to control and direct their potential.

--------------------
I went to st thomas and camped out ontop of the island... Despite my entire family being poor all my life, the land is priceless.
I was chased by haitians in the main city charlotte amalie when my girlfriend and I got some cocaine for free in a bar and mixed it with alcohol, to form a stronger drug. With such confidence at 2am, we walked the 4-5 or so miles down to the beach where the african slaves lie like lions waiting on tourist prey.

The war isen't on drugs... the war is on the causes that influence people to abuse drugs. drug-abuse is a by-product of the system and much like radioactive waste occurs from utilizing nuclear power, drug addicts with drug-problems will need to be properly disposed of, like the decaying radioactive waste produced from nuclear energy. -i2ancid

Edited by I2ancid (01/02/05 03:02 AM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #3569776 - 01/02/05 03:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Absolutely.

I believe that humans should be responsible for their thoughts and actions, and that one should be able to act however they want unless it interferes with the free will of others.

I believe that humans should live in harmony with nature and celebrate love and life together as a supportive community.. connect with our cosmic and terrestrial family

I believe that this "system" we live in is bullshit, and it is going to collapse in on itself.

I believe that humans should treat each other with dignity, kindness, respect with a constant undertone of love and acceptance in the diversity of life. I believe that we should give our shoes away and walk around the forest barefoot.

I believe in chakras, souls, aliens, god, parallel realities, alternative medicine and universal law.

I'm absolutely insane. :crazy2:

--------------------

Offlinecurious4
    #3569777 - 01/02/05 03:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I am insane only because my sanity constantly changes faces. Every second I, in a way, let go of my ego and regain it, allowing my sanity's relation to reality to reconfigure. This allows me to best adapt my consciousness to my surroundings.

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Re: Are you CRAZY!? [Re: curious4]
    #3569822 - 01/02/05 03:15 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I like your answer, curious4. I agree that everyone has lapses in judgement as well as moments of cohearance. It's a wave that every human being surfs on. I think psycidellic users are just riding tidal waves instead of gentle curles. If you define insanity as social disfunctionality, then I'm not (totally) insane in that sense. The line between insanity and genius is very thin (if there is a line). Expand, contract, expand, contract...

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
Re: Are you CRAZY!? [Re: Shroomism]
    #3569824 - 01/02/05 03:16 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I believe in chakras, souls, aliens, god, parallel realities, alternative medicine and universal law. I'm absolutely insane.

Hehe.. while I agree with 90% of what you said (what can I say, I like my shoes.), I had to point that line out. Defining yourself as insane for believing things that go against mainstream beliefs/"truths".. there may be more to the concept of "insanity as a normalizing tool" than most people realize. Having majored in Speech Communication, I did a lot of study on the "Us vs. Them" concept (Which is HEAVILY in use in current politics). People need to define different people as "outsiders", to promote their own beliefs and reinforce their system of "truth" not with reason, but with numbers. It works on a grand scale.. cliques in school work on the "I'm not a nerd/jock/punk/whatever, and neither are you, so we're friends" while entire cultures work on the "We're Americans/Good Guys/Victims, and "THEY're" not."

Wow, sorry to have ranted a bit and gotten off topic.. the point was that the concept of an insane person was probably developed as a way to seperate undesirable attributes or behaviors from the mainstream norm. That might not necessarily be a bad thing, in the case of severe dibilitating mental illness, but it might not be a good thing either, in the case of social/political/logical innovators.

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #3569838 - 01/02/05 03:18 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I guess my being facetious isn't as obvious as I think it is.. I'm just saying.. some people call me crazy.. and that's my primary set of beliefs and principles. I don't think I'm crazy. Crazy is relative. I am a spiritual being having a human experience. Just because you don't share the same perspective as someone else does not make them insane, they have had their experiences, you have had yours.. all realities are valid.

--------------------

Offlinecurious4
    #3569867 - 01/02/05 03:27 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

it all depends on the speed at which your consciousness expands then contracts. the perception of time from individual to individual is judged by the speed at which this happens. the faster this happens the slower time seems to go. when people do shrooms the mind is constantly expanding until you peak. after you peak the mind starts contracting again. thats why the come up is so crazy, because your perception on the passage of time is ever increasing at an exponential rate. Complete ego loss happens when your entire consciousness can exist in a single instant. ego loss is your consciousness's defeat of time. lets just say that the "thing" that mushrooms are trying to teach us that people seem to lose after they come down I have kept. There is nothing and nothing is me.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Are you CRAZY!? [Re: curious4]
    #3570365 - 01/02/05 09:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

CRAZY:
Possessed by enthusiasm or excitement: The crowd at the game went crazy.

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Are you CRAZY!? [Re: Gomp]
    #3571072 - 01/02/05 03:20 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

define "crazy".....

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3571090 - 01/02/05 03:27 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

from university entrance psychology:

there are 3 defintions of insanity that have been used in the past

1. statistical insanity: your behaviour or beliefs are the vast statistical minority, therefore you are crazy for not following the mass definition of insanity. by this definition a monk is insane for choosing an alternative lifestyle. modern psychology has rejected this definition because statistically aberant behaviours can actually be more beneficial than common ones.

2. bizzare behaviours: actions that seem alien or strange to most people, like wearing a dead cat on your head or going for strolls in the sewer. rejected as people who do wierd things can still be very well adjusted otherwise.

the final and now accepted defintion of mental illness is any behavious pattern that is notedly maladaptive of damaging to the individual, so praying to the queen mantis, if it helps you get through your day better, is not insane, whereas heroin addiction that is killing you, is.

so am i crazy? according to the first two definitions, hell yes. according to the third and accepted defintion, no. because i am happy, healthy, and succesfull in all aspects of life.

hunter s thompson said: the only differance between the sane and insane is that the sane can get the insane locked up.

and he also said : i tend to think im not crazy because i still walk the streets freely and enjoy my life.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Re: Are you CRAZY!? [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3571112 - 01/02/05 03:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

incubaby_421 said:
define "crazy".....

Quote:

soulmotion said:
If you define insanity as social disfunctionality, then I'm not (totally) insane in that sense.

You could define it this way-- as social disfunctionality. But then there are people who can function in society-- like maintain a job, pay bills ect., but they are still slightly 'askew' when it comes to their reasoning and judgement. This is why I wonder if we are all crazy to different degrees, and we are just doing our best to present ourselves as sane to each other (especially in circumstances when it matters, like a job interview).

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology