Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineadam0421
Stranger

WBS without PC
    #3569330 - 01/01/05 10:25 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Just wondering if there was any other way to sterilize jars of birdseed without a pressure cooker?

--------------------
"You know what cheers me up when I'm feeling shitty? Rolled up Aces over kings. Check-Raising stupid tourists and taking huge pots off them. Stacks and towers of checks I cant even see over. Playing all-night High limit hold'em at the Taj, 'Where the sand turns to gold."
-Edward Norton from the movie rounders

"You can't bluff someone who isn't paying attention"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: WBS without PC [Re: adam0421]
    #3569389 - 01/01/05 10:40 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Boil dem bitches!
I didn't feel like PC'ing some jars one night, so boiled them for an hour and a half instead. So far the jars are all 90% colonized and no contams at all.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: WBS without PC [Re: DNKYD]
    #3569443 - 01/01/05 10:53 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yea...You don't understand Endospores at all...Please don't spread miss information....

Well....You CAN'T just boil them But, you can TRY to boil them for an hour a day for 3 days...

Endospores live on grains, rye,WBS, corn, ect ect
Endospores can withstand temps. way above the boiling point of water
And they can withstand hot temps for long periods of time..
So the only time to kill them is when they germinate...And when the germ. you still can't really kill them all by just boiling..
Your friend here got what we call P-Luck....(perfect luck)
Moving on.
So, to get them to germ., you soak, and then simmer to rehydrate so that they'll colonize...
Well...you have to Pc at 15psi for 1hour and 20 mintues...That's really fucking hot for a long ass time...Well I did this and I still get contams Every now and then.....
I say that you should read up a bit on endospores and such b4 you try to take a stab at it...Failure Sucks...
Just trying to point you in the right direction
Good luck.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: WBS without PC [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3569474 - 01/01/05 10:59 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I never paid attention to the 'endospore' chapter in bio class when I was in school :rolleyes:
I've had good results by soaking/simmering WBS using one of the teks on this website and doing either of the following:
PC at 10PSI for an hour and a half
PC at 10PSI for an hour
Boil for an hour and a half
Not one of my WBS jars has contammed to this day. Works for me :shrug:
Sorry for my lack of endospore knowledge and for spreading my experience ("misinformation")....

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3569489 - 01/01/05 11:04 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

o0o0o0o0o0o, LOL
F...I just saw that you said One Night....And for some reason I thought that you said something else :rolleyes:
Well...Agar has a lot of good info...you should check out the stuff he's posted about endospores...He has lots of great ideas that help increase yield...like his whole f-ing page on dung tea and why it's good and is the best....and why it's better to soak in the tea than water...well good luck..and sry..i didnt mean to make you sound like an idiot
:dancing: :penis: :stash: :rolleyes:
Good luck on future grows
:thumbup:, later

Offlineadam0421
Stranger

#3569497 - 01/01/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the tips. Since Im not going to have access to a PC for a while I'm gonna try boiling. I'm going to try it both ways, boil for an hour and a half, and also boiling for an hour and a half 3 different times. When going thru the 3 day process should I resoak the WBS or just leave it in the jar till the next day?

--------------------
"You know what cheers me up when I'm feeling shitty? Rolled up Aces over kings. Check-Raising stupid tourists and taking huge pots off them. Stacks and towers of checks I cant even see over. Playing all-night High limit hold'em at the Taj, 'Where the sand turns to gold."
-Edward Norton from the movie rounders

"You can't bluff someone who isn't paying attention"

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3569498 - 01/01/05 11:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Oh yea

"I've had good results by soaking/simmering WBS using one of the teks on this website and doing either of the following:
PC at 10PSI for an hour and a half
PC at 10PSI for an hour
Boil for an hour and a half
Not one of my WBS jars has contammed to this day. Works for me
Sorry for my lack of endospore knowledge and for spreading my experience ("misinformation").... "

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Once you learn Why you do all of this, you'll yield like crazy....nothing better than critiquing Everything, lol
:thumbup: Gl

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3569505 - 01/01/05 11:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well , Ive done it only once...I jus left them in the jars....Some people have told me to boil only for 30 minutes a day for 3 days....But i read up on endospores and found out that they can live in Super high temps for a long time, so i boiled for 1h and 3m, but i was lucky....if you try it...I wouldn't suggest using up too much solution or substrate...It'd suck to go through all of that work for nothing : /

Shorter version- Don't resoak, just leave them in the pot and come bac to it the next day

Edited by IGnosticAbhorI (01/01/05 11:11 PM)

OfflineBrady
randomizer
Loc: on a damn island , FL
    #3569897 - 01/02/05 01:40 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well i would dissagree with "Perfect luck" , Moreso i would say decent luck. Gone through two 20lb bags of that damn birdseed with 2 contammed jars (with good reason to think those bit it due to water ratios) , Anyway soak it over night, wash and strain it out, simmer in a pot for an hour, wash & strain out the excess water for 15 mins, put in jars with rubberbanded tyvek and topped tinfoil guards , boil that shit in 3inches of water for an hour with a tight lid in a normal pot.. works great for me. I even own a pressure cooker but I got more pots than pressure cookers....

In addition, I get my jars from the local recycling...

so lets see... tyvek(free), jars(free), birdseed(6.99 for 20lbs), you got tinfoil in the kitchen, and 2 bucks for rubberbands..

birdseed rocks as long as you cook it outside.. corn however I love the sweet smell. haha. Oh yeah i also soak/simmer in coffie water , which smells nice as well as helps em grow.... aiight im blabering now...

B.

--------------------
I love to trade , trade with me!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3569901 - 01/02/05 01:42 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Boiling whole grains is hit and miss...if you had luck with it, thats all it was, luck... IMO you shouldnt suggest it to people to plainly....most people who try it end up with all contams.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBrady
randomizer
Loc: on a damn island , FL
Re: WBS without PC [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3569922 - 01/02/05 01:50 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

is it possible that endospores are more rich in some batches of wbs? It would be interesting to know particularly why some have such problems, where as this is not much affecting my personal fail rate?

--------------------
I love to trade , trade with me!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WBS without PC [Re: Brady]
    #3570000 - 01/02/05 02:21 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Brady said:
endospores [and spores] are more rich in some batches of wbs

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!

Re: WBS without PC [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3570802 - 01/02/05 11:50 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

That is definatly, true the first time I used wbs without a PC I wound up with 1 out of 12 jars that didn't contam, but when I re-boiled the contaminated jars and re-innoced them, all but 3 colonized. Either way I don't think it is worth using any grain w/o a pc because with all the jars you will lose, you will end up yeilding no more than you would have with a successful PF Tek. If you want to really get into cultivation you need a pc, I just mentioned a few things that had worked for me in the past, there is no guarntee they will ever work again

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: WBS without PC [Re: penlight438094]
    #3570832 - 01/02/05 12:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

www.shroomery.org/forums/printthread.php?Board=faq&main=2258589&type=post

Hope this link works. simplemachine has a tek on this.

GL

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WBS without PC [Re: KaptKid]
    #3570898 - 01/02/05 12:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

IMHO, trying to do whole grains without a PC, is like trying to fly without wings. You might flutter a few times :crazy:, but the failure rate is sadly unacceptable :mad2:.

Better to use BRF, grind/blend WBS (including SF seeds)into course powder, add some fine chopped aged leached dry horse poo, some fine (1/8th inch) wheat straw, verm & make super cakes, PF style.

You will not fail so often & get bigger better shrooms.

Just 2 cents........... :wink:

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: WBS without PC [Re: adam0421]
    #3570921 - 01/02/05 12:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
http://heffter.org

InvisibleRockstar69
Stoner

Loc: Georgia
Re: WBS without PC [Re: motaman]
    #3579190 - 01/04/05 11:43 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/the/default/par/23372
heres something that may help
fractional sterilization/tyndallization

I made a few pf jars, but w/ birdseed instead of rice.. they turned out fine, but i havent tried it much, so it could be luck

--------------------
"We gotta stop smokin', stop, stop, ..I mean cigarette smokin!" -- Jimi Hendrix :jamming:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck