Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinej88671
po' boy withwanderlust

Loc: the asphalt anus
precasing overlay possibly? check the pic and help
    #3569236 - 01/01/05 09:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hey I'm doing a coir and straw "bulk" with 2 quarts of rye innoc'd with KSSS, and i think I may have waited a little long from the substrate being colonized and casing it. here is a picture:
http://www.albumtown.com/showpic.php?aid=9931&pid=159979&uuid=5629
it looked pretty nice and not real leather hard or anything but after casing it w/coir on the 24th i dont see any progress with spreading. here is farther away picture, pre and then post casing:
http://www.albumtown.com/showpic.php?uuid=5629&aid=9931&pid=159978
http://www.albumtown.com/showpic.php?uuid=5629&aid=9931&pid=159996
Now has foil over and in a bin at 70 F, water dropplets forming on foil, I try to fan a lot but it gets to about once a day. looks exactly the same as when I cased it. I think I may just be parinoid (a lot of herb injested), but I'd like my fears to be put to rest by an educated mind. thanks a lot, J

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!

Re: precasing overlay possibly? check the pic and help [Re: j88671]
    #3569317 - 01/01/05 10:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I think it might only be a problem if the mycelium had become matted down, it looked good to me

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: precasing overlay possibly? check the pic and help [Re: penlight438094]
    #3569564 - 01/01/05 11:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, that def. is really wet. Once myc. breaks through, you shouldn't have to spray Driectly on the casing, you should jus spray the walls of your terrium, the casing acts as a hydrater, it basically just pulls in water, so spraying it down either gets it matted down or looking like what you got and both slow down the great mushrooms growth process....I'd either scrap or re-case...good luck

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: precasing overlay possibly? check the pic and help [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3569573 - 01/01/05 11:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

O yea...and fanning once a day....That's defiently helping out overlay....High amounts of c02 and high humidity are 2 out of 3 factors that cause overlay....you don't even really want one....I'd fan more or get some type of o2 exchange going on....plus what i said earlier should help as well.....gl
later

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3569579 - 01/01/05 11:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Or you could do a pmt(poor mans terrium)....It basically gives a constant o2/co2 exchange by using a 3-liter bottle and keeps humidity as needed with Damp perlite....
if you dont kno what im talking about them pm me, but im sure u do
good luck and take care of your babies and they grow and reward you big time :thumbup:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3569921 - 01/02/05 01:48 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Im confused as to what I'm seeing...it looks like it never colonized the casing? Or is that the casing colonized? It sounds like from your description its the substrate "after casing with coir it didnt do anything".

What it seems to me is the first 2 pictures are colonized substrate only then the last picture is the cased substrate....if so then its impossible for you to have overlay...that only applies to the casing surface. The substrate is not COPLETELY colonized in the ore casing pics so that will take a little extra time. To me though it looks like the coir is to dry. You should have used 30% verm in there since coir is tougher to keep moist but it will require misting until the mycelium comes up through the surface. Read up more on overlay to understand what it is better but at the point you are, if I'm interpreting your post correctly, you could not possibly have had overlay yet.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3570268 - 01/02/05 06:30 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

no, precasing overlay not possible. overlay is a condition of casing layers.

all looks peachy  :thumbup:

--------------------
buh

Offlinej88671
po' boy withwanderlust

Re: precasing overlay possibly? check the pic and help [Re: shirley knott]
    #3571071 - 01/02/05 01:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

ya this is pre casing (casing is yet to colonize at all), so i guess it cant be overlay, although I cased with coir, and the substrate is coir/straw, not much of a difference. cant get verm without ordering it right now. I should just keep it fanned and hydrated and wait? or is there something I can do. Thanks a lot so far, I guess I just need some patience.

Offlinehydr0420
Psycopahtic Ryda

Folding@home Statistics
    #3571099 - 01/02/05 01:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

you dont want to case with straw. It has nutrients in it, so will act like a substrate. You should case with coir/verm, or if you cant get verm, just do str8 coir, but watch its water content.
-dr0

Offlinej88671
po' boy withwanderlust

Re: precasing overlay possibly? check the pic and help [Re: hydr0420]
    #3571285 - 01/02/05 02:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Ya I know, I didn't case with straw, only coir, its the base substrate thats straw and coir. Sorry for the confusion. >J

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3572016 - 01/02/05 05:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

j88671 said:
I cased with coir, and the substrate is coir/straw, not much of a difference........ I should just keep it fanned and hydrated and wait? or is there something I can do. Thanks a lot so far, I guess I just need some patience.

presumably the casing layer was neutral ph and not packed down too much. all looked excellent, dude, you just gotta wait: in about three days you'll see the myc visible under the surface, then you wanna fruit it (light, humidity, fresh air, 70-80F) and wait 7-15 days for pins. that's it - the waiting is the hardest part.

good luck. should be an awesome flush  :laugh:

--------------------
buh

Offlinehydr0420
Psycopahtic Ryda

Folding@home Statistics
Re: precasing overlay possibly? check the pic and help [Re: shirley knott]
    #3573456 - 01/02/05 10:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

beh.
I'll learn to read one of these days.
srry.
-dr0

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

Re: precasing overlay possibly? check the pic and help [Re: hydr0420]
    #3574171 - 01/03/05 03:02 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hey shirly or anyone with experience, would you say that the first picture of the colonized substrate is at 100%? In other words, is that pic the optimum time to apply the casing layer. or a little earlier, later??
Thanks everyone...

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: precasing overlay possibly? check the pic and help [Re: mushroommark]
    #3574637 - 01/03/05 10:15 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Looks good to case now if you want to .
Like Shirley said earlier overlay is term used for the casing itself , not the sub .
GL

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: precasing overlay possibly? check the pic and help [Re: mushroommark]
    #3579224 - 01/04/05 11:54 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mushroommark said:
Hey shirly or anyone with experience, would you say that the first picture of the colonized substrate is at 100%? In other words, is that pic the optimum time to apply the casing layer. or a little earlier, later??
Thanks everyone...

The first picture IMO needed another two days, maybe just one, to be ready to be cased.

Straight coir will dry out quickly, verm mixed in would help but with no verm you'll hopefully have sprayed it down really well before putting plastic over the top (laying right on the coir so no airspace above it to dry it out. You may even need to pull back the plastic and give it another spray if it dries out to much. You can tell how dry it is by how light or dark brown it is.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale