Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Chloride, Coir, Dessicant, Oyster Shell, Peat, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Casing
    #3568773 - 01/01/05 08:32 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Yea, Hey all, it's me again, that guy that knows a lot but checks in a lot just to make sure :wink:

Well, I just read this....

50/50+ (Plus) Casing Tek

Adding 4% agricultural hydrated lime and 15% crushed oyster shell, by volume, to the over all 50/50 mix is a much better casing soil. The soil seems to give the mushrooms more support so when your harvesting your not digging out deep chunks of mycelium from the substrate, instead they pull out very easily from the surface. The mushrooms also seem to grow much bigger this way being they have a stronger base into the mycelium network. They also like the lime and calcium from the oyster shell, and you will see less contamination in the casing soil with the lime added. When mixing the casing substrate, a lot of the oyster shell and lime sinks to the bottom, so mix it and squeeze it real good when placing over the substrate.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Be sure you buy horticultural hydrated lime, not dolomitic or other kinds, or it will burn the mycelium and they wont grow. So look at nurseries for horticultural hydrated lime, it usually says "to sweeten the soil on the bag".

Lime is suppose to change the Ph, I forget Exactly what it does...I think that it raises to eight...or lowers...I donno, but I didn't know that it helped the casing as much as i've heard...i was jus wondering if anyone would elborate a bit, or maybe send a link, i'm not finding anything that's real helpful...also...while i'm here...I've wbs colonizing and i was wondering what you guys think would be a nice casing mix, Your Opinion anyways..... Well i've got one casing going that was cased with 50/50 verm. and coc-coir, looks nice so far, but i have lots more jars coming so i was jus looking to experiment!!..Well, thankx and Gl all
:shroomer:...lol i love that lil guy

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Casing [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3568799 - 01/01/05 08:52 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

O, and i thought that calcium carbonate was a desiccant..anyone wanna help fix everything i've twisted? Agar...you out there? lol
Well thankx, later

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3568820 - 01/01/05 09:01 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
O, and i thought that calcium carbonate was a desiccant

I thought it was a substute for lime.Know its not a desiccant.
Got to help wbs to break up but found it breaks up ok most of the time with out it.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Casing [Re: KaptKid]
    #3568985 - 01/01/05 10:08 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Hmm...Well thankx :laugh:
Well, there was something (of which i cant fully remeber) that was used as a desiccant, it was calcium something, but i could be wrong, hmmmm...oh well....and what is the main purpose for lime?

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3568988 - 01/01/05 10:09 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Something to do with Ph...can't find anything...but i'm still looking :wink:
Thankx kapt

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3569028 - 01/01/05 10:33 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Know how that info over load goes.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Casing [Re: KaptKid]
    #3569408 - 01/02/05 12:44 AM (12 years, 19 days ago)

HAha yea....But it's ok, i'll figure it out, maybe someone can point me in the right direction....or maybe ill acually Find something for once, instead of looking aimlessly

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3569602 - 01/02/05 01:57 AM (12 years, 19 days ago)

An optimal Ph of 7.5 is optimal, the lime helps make the Ph more base, it is used with,peatmoss and verm., b/c they are naturally more acidic than your mushies desire....:)

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
    #3569789 - 01/02/05 03:07 AM (12 years, 19 days ago)

where can u get hydrated lime?

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing [Re: botanisthype]
    #3569960 - 01/02/05 04:03 AM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Garden places.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3569982 - 01/02/05 04:15 AM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing [Re: botanisthype]
    #3570094 - 01/02/05 05:16 AM (12 years, 19 days ago)

"pH", is a measure to describe the acidity of a medium.
pH 7 is neutral; higher means alkaline, lower acidic.

Peat is a major constituent of preferred casing mixes. The pH of peat is variable, dependent on the source it came from. Meaning, the pH of peat differs from various sources.

The preferred pH range of a casing mixture is 6.5 to 8. 7.5 is optimal.

Peat is acidic. Consequently, to achieve an optimal pH range of a casing mix, the pH of the casing mixture must be adjusted accordingly (within the range of 6.5 to 8).

The pH of the casing must be within certain limits to support strong mycelial growth. An overly acidic or alkaline casing mixture will depress mycelial growth and supports unwanted competitors.

It is generally easier to make casing materials more alkaline (i.e., increasing the pH) than it is to make them more acid (i.e., reducing the pH).

A movement of 0.5 is easy but, because the pH scale is logarithmic, a movement on the order of, 2.0 points becomes more difficult because there is a factor of 10x between each full point, so pH 5.0 is actually 100 times more acid than pH 7.0.

There are several common types of lime available for use, though care should be exercised with all of the products. Lime is caustic and a skin and eye irritant and can be dangerous if misused. If you choose to use such products, carefully read and follow all manufacturer directions exactly. The major types of lime products include:

Hydrated Lime: fast acting, but not long lasting. It is very effective to produce a fast change in pH level. It is also the "strongest" form of lime generally available, and you must follow all manufacturer precautions, since your skin and eyes can be easily irritated or burned if the product is misused.

Ground Limestone: a naturally occurring type of limestone that has been ground to a fine powder. How quickly it will act to modify pH and how long it will persist depends on how finely it was ground.

Generally, ground limestone is weaker than hydrated lime, needing about 30% more to raise the pH by the same amount. It has the advantage, however, of usually being significantly cheaper than the hydrated lime, and usually works more slowly and lasts much longer.

Mixed Lime: usually sold under a brand name. Most brands contain a variety of particle sizes to provide some immediate benefits, as well as a longer persistence. (this is often referred to as "time released" lime).

pH gradually falls to less than optimal by the end of cropping due to acids secreted by the mushroom mycelium. Consequently, a long lasting buffering agent is preferable.

If you wish to achieve optimal results when adjusting pH, it is highly advisable to use litmus strips (with color chart), or acquire a pH test probe (available at most garden supply stores, under $20) to accurately test, and adjust the pH of your casing mix, prior to application.

Doing all other cultivation steps properly, then applying a casing mixture outside the proper pH range, most often creates poor cropping results.

^^HOT STUFF & you need a PH tester to work with it.

GREAT STUFF

More GREAT stuff

Shop Nursery & Garden supply places. It's all out there, ya just have to find it.

--------------------

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
    #3572432 - 01/02/05 08:15 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

you are thinking of calcium chloride which is a desiccant. aka anhydrous chloride.

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Chloride, Coir, Dessicant, Oyster Shell, Peat, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation