Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: NordVPN NordVPN   PureVPN PureVPN

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
Laptop advice needed....
    #3568012 - 01/01/05 01:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, so it's time for me to get a laptop. I'm thinking of ordering one
from the states (much cheaper for me now, because the dollar is weak).

Thing is, I don't know where to buy. :confused:
I would like to hear your recomendations/experiences -what companies
are reliable/cheap/ship to europe etc.

I've been looking at linuxcertified.com, has anyone had dealings with them?

All info is appreciated.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSuffer
puter dork
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA
Re: Laptop advice needed.... [Re: ummikko]
    #3568802 - 01/01/05 08:52 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I went with Fujitsu for this laptop, but I also highly recomend Sony. My sister got the A series sony with a 17in LCD... its a SWEET screen, but the thing is a bit too big to really be "portable."

I got the P7010D from Fujitsu, very small... 11 hours of battery life with both batterys, and I dual boot it Gentoo and XP... the only thing that doesnt work under linux is the biometric sensor, but there is an option to replace that with a scroll wheel. All in all, its wicked tiny... but definatly enough power

--------------------

InvisibleDivinorum
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere over the rainbo...
Re: Laptop advice needed.... [Re: Suffer]
    #3569291 - 01/02/05 12:14 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I can't recommend a vendor for shipment to Europe, but I can recommend the following notebook computer.....

I purchase a Sony VAIO VGN-A190 notebook from CompUSA and am very pleased with it. This notebook is BIG, but in my opinion not too big to be considered a portable, but at the upper limit! If it were any lager I'd say it isn't portable, so they are pushing right up to the edge of reasonable size for a notebook with this baby. The processor is the Intel Centrino CPU at 1.7 GHz with 2 Meg of L2 cache which although clocked at a slower speed is comparable to the performance of the 2.5 GHz Pentium 4. The GPU graphics processor is the ATI 9700 Mobility Radeon which to date is the fastest OpenGL capable graphics processor that I have seen in a notebook computer.

This model Sony VAIO notebook has what they call X-brite LCD which is increadibly bright compared to any other LCD screen I have ever seen before with increadible resolution which is visually smooth as silk on its 17 inch rectangular screen which is so wide you can have two word documents up on the screen side by side at the same time.

The VGN-A190 model I purchased is no longer available as a new offering from Sony but has been replaced with the VGN-A290 which is the same notebook in every way except the newer version has 1 GB memory instead of 512 MB and a 100 GB hard drive instead of 80 GB. I purchased the VGN-A190 for 1999.95 which includes a docking station and speakers as shown in the photograph making this notebook an excellent replacement for a PC. The newer VGN-A290 is listed at a suggested retail price of over 2700 dollars which is on the high end, even with a full Gig of RAM, that's too much IMHO. Shop around for the best price, they vary. CompUSA has a rebate program knocking 250 off the price for a total cost of close to $2550.00 right now, still too spendy IMHO when I could get the A190 version for 2000 and spend another 150 to get another 512 MB of RAM to make it 1 GB for under $2200 which is identical in every way to the VGN-A290 except for the smaller hard drive and the identification sticker calling it the A290.

If your looking for a deal and don't mind doing the RAM upgrade yourself (by adding a single 512 MB SODIMM stick) maybe you can still find the VGN-A190 for sale, someone is probably still carrying it in stock for far less than the A290. I saw it for around 1700.00 just three weeks ago on one web site somewhere, of course, after I bought it from CompUSA! Check ebay.

Specs for the VGN-A290:

VAIO A290 Notebook: Intel Pentium M Processor 735, 1.7GHz, with Centrino Technology, 1GB RAM, 100GB Hard Drive, 17-inch WUXGA TFT Display, 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, Windows XP

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=314467&pfp=SEARCH

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=4215874&search=VGN-A290

Drawbacks are:

1. The CPU speed steps down to less than half the 1.7 GHz clock speed when on battery power.

2. The LCD screen draws on the battery power very heavily reducing battery operation to no more than 1.5 hours on full briteness, although if the intensity is turned down a couple of notches will last for at least three hours on a full charge.

3. Large! This notebook is big and relatively heavy at 7 pounds compared to many other notebook offerings, but I like it anyway.

4. Does not have a standard 15 pin serial output, no floppy drive but has both a read and write DVD and read write CDROM built in.

Edited by Divinorum (01/02/05 01:22 AM)

OfflineKenny7822
Kenny
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA, USA
Re: Laptop advice needed.... [Re: ummikko]
    #3569303 - 01/02/05 12:19 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

www.tigerdirect.com is a good place to order computers, I have ordered 2 desktop computers from them in the past and had no problems. Shipping is fast and prices and good.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Laptop advice needed.... [Re: Kenny7822]
    #3570191 - 01/02/05 07:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

tigerdirect is horrible, please use resellerratings. For all your checking up on companies. TG is known not to give rebates back and have horrible shipping times/methods. I have heard nothing but bad about them. If your looking to go linux. I would personally buy an apple pc for a laptop. Damn things look so sweet and run linux nicely. If your going windows Sony puts out some good models.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: NordVPN NordVPN   PureVPN PureVPN

General Interest >> Science and Technology