Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: HEPA Filter, Magic Flight Launch Box, Scales, The Doors, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vaporizer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Loc: The Other Side
Fighting with the humidity.. Input Needed..
    #3567909 - 01/01/05 11:54 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I don't seem to be winning here, and wasn't able to find a decent answer in prev posts. I've mostly completed a grow chamber, and am test running it to check temp/humidity.

So far the Temp is spot on, and stable. Buttt... The humidity leaves much to be desired, both in RH, and in rebuild after opening the door for just a couple min (approx misting time). It seems to want to hover at 78% with the cool mist alone, so I threw in a tub with heater and bubble stones, and it did rise up to about 90% after a couple of hours.. I think it would eventually get to the desired %, but it would take it a long time to build back up after opening for a mist and mold check. Is this flux in humidity normal when opening a grow chamber? What's the normal amount of time for the humidity to stabilize again?? What should I be doing differently?
I realize there will be some difference with something actually in it, but this seems like a pretty big swing, and rebuild time..

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a Million,
DerGeist

*** EDIT ***

After taking all suggestions to mind, and sitting there thinking about how the foot print is growing, and I'm wanting this to be as low key as I can. I opted to scrap the first idea, and go with a split upper/lower setup. The humids are housed in the (will be waterproof lower section) while I still have room in the upper section now with shelves. It's still a bit rough, but few cords coming out, and little noise. Gave it a test run to see how both humids work, and it's a smooth 73 and 95%+ rh, cut off the ush and it maintained the rh just fine. I sealed up the cm and ran a hose to the upper chamber so it will keep recirculate the air, and not draw too much outside air in. I found a nice little respirator P100 (HEPA) (2pack for $12), and it fits nicely in my 2' pvc inlet for fresh air. I'll have the 6mil plastic "swoosh" barrier in place before long, and will smooth out the rest of the rough edges. It breaks down pretty easy for cleaning, which was a factor also..

Any input on this design? Problems you might see?

Thanks djred, LaughingJim, and Magash for your input. :smile:

DG

Edited by DerGeist (01/01/05 07:48 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedjred

Re: Fighting with the humidity.. Input Needed.. [Re: DerGeist]
    #3567922 - 01/01/05 11:59 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

um for my undertsanding your cool mist is what gives you the watering for casings ultra sonic is for humidity..so where does misting come into play? kinda not with it this morning,but i wish ya luck..

Offlinedjred

Re: Fighting with the humidity.. Input Needed.. [Re: djred]
    #3567929 - 01/01/05 12:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yeah if your going to use a grow box your going to want a ultra sonic for less worries, hassle, etc....i'm going through the same issues,has an ultra sonic no cool mist..plus i don't have a hygro metter to even think about checking my humidity..as of yet..so im kinda in between a rock and a hard spot for the moment..

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

#3567934 - 01/01/05 12:09 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

New Years Day.. I surprised I'm functioning at all..  :wink:

From what I've read, this is basically a hard sided small Martha, which from the posts I've seen, most people still have to manually water mist a couple times a day.. Which seems to drop my humidity drastically, and takes a long while to come back up.. Unless I am misreading these posts, I just imagined the same would be true for this also.??

DG

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

#3567943 - 01/01/05 12:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks DJ, I think you might be right. ush seems to be a common link, but from the reading, not something that should be relied upon for the main misting, but will help bring the rh up some. Still concerned about the length of time it takes to get back up to speed so to speak.. Will get a ush, and see what happens with that.

DG

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3567945 - 01/01/05 12:15 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Tape plastic sheets, (garbage bags, etc..) to the insides. Cut into strips about 4-inches wide. Tape them at the tops only, so they overlap about 1/2-inch over each other. They should be long enough to touch the bottom, or the shelf bottom, if you have shelves.

The loss is mostly from the door "Swosh" created when you open the door fast, and the rest is lost becaue the hot-moist air rises out quick.

It should look like vertical blinds when you get done... similar to a "Positive pressure portable clean-room" walls.

NOTE: you can add weight to the bottoms of the strips to help make them stay closed when they get disturbed. Tape some 3-4 inch trim-nails (Ones with almost no head), to the bottoms of the strips. You might also want to file off the sharp points.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/01/05 12:19 PM)

Offlinedjred

Re: Fighting with the humidity.. Input Needed.. [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3567946 - 01/01/05 12:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

ok guys how about a vaporizer humidifier? sorry to hi jack your post i guess they call it, just curious has to how that may work?

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3567955 - 01/01/05 12:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Also, you are sucking in room air into your box...

Put a return that goes from the box, at the opposite side from where it enters. Hook that to the intake on the cool-air humidifier. If you want some fresh air inside, then make another hole in the return pipe. Fill the hole with cotton, or pollyfill. Then cover the hole with something to regulate how much fresh air gets sucked inside. (Ziplock with wire ties... use an actual valve on a "T"...)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3567958 - 01/01/05 12:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Don't forget to turn off all ventilation before you open the box to inspect it... That will also force air out, as you now have a big hole (The open door)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3567962 - 01/01/05 12:31 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Very rairly have I seen a cool mist that can handle the job alone and misting sucks. What you want to do is add a ultrasonic.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Re: Fighting with the humidity.. Input Needed.. [Re: Magash]
    #3568004 - 01/01/05 01:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Excellent Idea LJ, I know exactly what you are talking about.. I'll get right on that. Thanks a Million.

I just got back from hooking up a ush, and it raised the rh% off the scale quite fast, but it started to fall rapidly again once shut off. I think recircing the air through the cool mist with a return will help that quite a lot, as it was pushing the vapor out the sides of the doors, so it has a good deal of positive pressure.

Magash,

Do you find that with the cm going 24/7, and the ush filling in, that misting is less needed? the main reasons for wanting a somewhat smaller, more stable rh, is that I will be unable to tend to them 3 or 4 times a day with my current work sched. :frown: I was hoping to get by with a morning, and evening tend, and let it ride during the day.

Back to Tinkering. :smile:

You guys are awesome!!

DG

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

#3568845 - 01/01/05 09:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Shameful bump for more input..

DG

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #3568905 - 01/01/05 09:33 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Humidifiers inside the box is never a good idea....my ultrasonic died that way.

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: Fighting with the humidity.. Input Needed.. [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3568958 - 01/01/05 09:52 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I would also concider adding some timers. (Buy the ones with the pins that pull up/down. They usualy have 30 min incraments. I use those for everything... even my coffee maker, every other pin in up/down. I run my coffee maker for several hours normally, and it usually runs real hot. Now it goes off/on every half hour. Keeps my coffee perfect temp, and saves me 50% in electricity!

If you find that your humidity regulates fine, try the 30 min thing and see if that works ok. Then try on/off 30/60, 30/90, 30/120... etc.

In the end, you should have a nice run-time setup. That will save you a lot of water. Instead of RH jumping up to 95% after 30 min, then leaking out constantly... you should now see a rise/fall 85%-95%... as opposed to saturating the entire area, and causing excess buildup of moisture on walls, (Wasted electricity/water).

Time it perfectly so that you open it about 30 min before the timer turns on again... that would also help reduce dry time, (Lower RH).

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (01/01/05 09:54 PM)

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

#3569034 - 01/01/05 10:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I thought about the humies getting too hot, but I ran them for quite awhile as a test, and they really didn't seem to mind too much, other then I don't have a good seal between upper/lower right now, and there was some condensation on the outside of them. I would imagine it is putting a strain on them, or at least the cm, so getting a good timer cycle would help with that also. Any guestimation as to what % having saw 4 or 5 cakes would make to the rh factor? I'm not looking to do any bulk really, just some for my own enjoyment. I am planning on running some ice maker tubing to an external 5gal bucket, rigged to some float switches in both hummies, so I don't have to refill quite so much, and will make it easier to work with. It's all running into a a fused outlet just in case..

I'll have to take a closer look at the pull out style timers, I have a digital one that was a real let down. Can only do 14 on/offs a week, nothing like every 30 min, etc. Which you would think is a basic function.. :frown:

Thanks Again for all the input.. Should have this licked here soon. Then it's on to the TiT. :smile:

DG

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: HEPA Filter, Magic Flight Launch Box, Scales, The Doors, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vaporizer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation