Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineadam0421
Stranger

Newbie Casing ??
    #3566213 - 12/31/04 05:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hi everyone, long time reader first time post and this is my first time attempting to grow as well. On to the the matter at hand. Currently I have 12 pf tek jars that are probably a couple days away from 100% colonization. I wanted to take 2 of the cakes and crumble then case them. I was going to be using 50/50 mix of coco coir and vermiculite for the casing layer. My question is about the bottom layer of the casing. For that layer should I be using a 50/50 mix or just put in some dry vermiculite and mist till its damp? My second question is when I get the casing mix together should I put it in the microwave to sterilize it, or PC it. Thanx again and happy Booming

--------------------
"You know what cheers me up when I'm feeling shitty? Rolled up Aces over kings. Check-Raising stupid tourists and taking huge pots off them. Stacks and towers of checks I cant even see over. Playing all-night High limit hold'em at the Taj, 'Where the sand turns to gold."
-Edward Norton from the movie rounders

"You can't bluff someone who isn't paying attention"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedmc_

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Newbie Casing ?? [Re: adam0421]
    #3566486 - 12/31/04 07:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The bottum casing layer is optional as you might know. Straight verm will work well, as the only purpose the bottum casing layer serves is to hydrate the substrate.

Most pasteurize(170F 90-120mins) their casing layers in a hot water bath.

Never use your microwave if you have a PC, sounds kinda lazy to me. Sterilize bottum layer, pasteurize or sterilize the top layer.

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
    #3566518 - 12/31/04 07:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You are probably going to get three answers on that. Try all three and set things straight :wink:

IMHO;

A bottom casing layer could possibly serve two uses;
1) Added nutrients + moisture for secondary flushes
2) Creating a contam barrier on the bottom/sides of casing

Well, the idea of casing the top is to add a humid microclimate. Throw in a humidity tent, and you only need to mist to have all the humdidity in the world (we are talking anything from Martha's to tupperware containers with saran-wrap on top). So whats the point of a bottom casing layer for humidity? Now you are only adding complicating factors to an area of your project that you can't even see.

As for adding nutrients for future flushes, vermiculite doesn't have much to offer

And finally, as a contam barrier...if you sterilized well enough to get this far, you are bound to clean your casing container enough to keep things crack-a-lackin

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Offlinedmc_

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Newbie Casing ?? [Re: ADoobie]
    #3566570 - 12/31/04 07:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

A bottom casing layer could possibly serve two uses;
1) Added nutrients + moisture for secondary flushes

Then he should just use more substrate instead of a bottom casing layer.

Bottom layer is debatable, great, but he wants to try it.

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
Re: Newbie Casing ?? [Re: dmc_]
    #3566577 - 12/31/04 07:55 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

True, true. But that is the beauty of the internet. Extra words cost nothing!

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Offlinedjred

Re: Newbie Casing ?? [Re: ADoobie]
    #3566851 - 12/31/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hmmm well using a ultra..trying to figure out the level of humidity control since i have the option to turn off my humidity..which i don't know if newer 1's come with the option.. i don't have a kool mist as of yet so im wokring on a minium almost no humidity in a mostly sealed container. i have a release port i guess to call it? kinda lets air flow through the chamber so it doesn't back up into the machine.

it's only day 1 on using this set up.i have a need of a hygro meter..
hopefully with the humidity on low very low with the volume of the mist control on normal shuold that be enough fae moister for my casing? i don't expect any real def anwsers to my situation..every set up is diff.. i have a pic posted in the samsung ultra post, i made.. well dudes going to the game shop almost 12 am need a new game to play..

Edited by djred (12/31/04 10:18 PM)

Offlineadam0421
Stranger

Re: Newbie Casing ?? [Re: djred]
    #3569030 - 01/01/05 08:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the responses, just one more question. DMC, when u say that most people pastuerize in hot water, would I put the casing mix straight into water and let run at 170F, or would I put the casing mix in a jar and then put the jar in the water?

Thanx for all the help

--------------------
"You know what cheers me up when I'm feeling shitty? Rolled up Aces over kings. Check-Raising stupid tourists and taking huge pots off them. Stacks and towers of checks I cant even see over. Playing all-night High limit hold'em at the Taj, 'Where the sand turns to gold."

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

#3569084 - 01/01/05 08:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

What would happen if you mixed up some BRF in with the bottom casing layer? Would that provide any extra nutrients for later flushes?

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

Offlineadam0421
Stranger

Re: Newbie Casing ?? [Re: Taskenti]
    #3571034 - 01/02/05 01:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ok my cakes are ready to go now and I just have one more question, should I dunk the cakes for 24 hrs before I crumble and case. Or should I just take them out of the jars and into the casing?? Thanx again

--------------------

Invisiblemadsickpenguin
    #3571875 - 01/02/05 04:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

AFOAF read of more people going straight to casing it and dunking the casing after 2nd, 3rd, etc. flush

Edited by madsickpenguin (01/20/05 12:19 AM)

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3572212 - 01/02/05 05:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

bottom casing layer optional. i never used one, not gonna start now.
properly pasteurising a casing mix is pointless - it should be (virtually) non-nutritious and need only a few minutes in the m/wave. just don't take it straight outta your toilet.

good luck, dude  :thumbup: :laugh:

--------------------
buh

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags