Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Melatonin

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerunnerup
student

Loc: USA
Light, Dark, Depression, Etc.. *read if you have depression problems.
    #3562254 - 12/30/04 06:59 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys I was listening to NPR last week on my way down to OC and I came across a rad topic. I didn't know how much research was done on this before I heard it on the radio. Its really a fascinating subject. Melatonin is released usually at dawn by the pineal gland. excessive levels of Melatonin have shown to cause depression. Therefor in winter times or times of massive darkness certain people can be affected by the excessive levels of melatonin (Seasonal depression disorder). Light treatments will help fight this!

Scientist have found that food also suppresses the excessive levels of melatonin. Is this why some depressed people eat alot? With this in mind, they create a nocturnal animal such as the rat, to become diuturnal

Unless your flying Emirate Airlines you may have jet lag on long trips. Some studies have shown diet, sleep, and if you stand in the light for a period of time it can help fight jet lag. all effecting the flow of melatonin. light not only suppresses melatonin, but it is also the most effective natural way of producing serotonin and other active neurotransmitters

several researchers have found success using light to treat depression rather then pharmaceuticals.

Some Links:
http://tntn.essortment.com/seasonaldepress_nbl.htm
http://world.std.com/~halberst/contrib/sad.html
http://www.apollolight.com/new_content/c...depression.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Light, Dark, Depression, Etc.. *read if you have depression problems. [Re: runnerup]
    #3562679 - 12/30/04 09:16 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yup thats certainly helping many people.  unfortunatly there are still many people that "need" to be drugged :frown: 

light and food never worked for me.  when i tried those i did get a little less depressed, but i also got quite anxious and pissy.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinerunnerup
student

Loc: USA
Re: Light, Dark, Depression, Etc.. *read if you have depression problems. [Re: kadakuda]
    #3571772 - 01/02/05 06:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I think this is soooooo true. It explains why i get so depressed in winter haah

OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

Re: Light, Dark, Depression, Etc.. *read if you have depression problems. [Re: runnerup]
    #3572069 - 01/02/05 07:08 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

actually it is true. here in finland, due to the fact that the winter months are so dark and causes depression for some, a big seller are "mood lights" where if you stay in front of hte mood lights for 2 hours a day, then you "start to feel better."

they're basically large flourecent lights but sell very well here. it's also common to see these sort of lights on in common rooms at work

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Light, Dark, Depression, Etc.. *read if you have depression problems. [Re: boO]
    #3576248 - 01/03/05 08:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

ya they got those here too.  they work wonders for many.  but then i also wonder how much UV is in tehse flouros?  im guessing they are nothing more than a daylight tube or somthing, but i have to wonder.  there are already some flouros that are specifically warned against due to, relativly, low exposure eye damage.

anyway last thing anxious and depressed people need to think about :smile:  but ya, pretty cool how our bodies can react to certain things and have such interesting ways of showing it....liek feelings.

ive also wondered about these studies and thought what if feelings are nothing more or less than imbalances (which many say they are/can be) and if then we can direct a brain to feel what we want via environmental conditions.  just a thought, probably wrong forum.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
    #3579282 - 01/04/05 02:06 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

werd,

i have found myself hitting up a tanning booth every once in a while in the wintertimes b/c i feel the need for sunlight and its affects countering depression.
sunlight on the skin creates vitamin d naturally in our bodies (whcih might enhance mood and increase seritonin levels.)
also, i tend to eat more in the winters, fuck i gained 5 pounds in the last month!

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Melatonin

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being