Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Tell me to fuck off, please.
    #3561251 - 12/30/04 02:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It doesn't seem like this forum is any good anymore. There is absolutely no respect for logic or philosophy of any kind.

People seem to think that silly beliefs and fairy tales actually have something to do with philosophy, and that pulling random pseudoscience out of your ass makes you a philosopher. What's worse is, pointing this out makes you a jerk.

One member gets banned for absolutely no reason. We're told to quit whining about it, without even the slightest attempt to offer an explanation, an apology or anything. Everytime someone tries to complain, the mods make no attempt at all to explain themselves we just get "We've heard your complaints before, and we don't care at all. We've made our decision, logic and the feelings of others play no part in our decision making process. Accept what we do or perish, that is all, this thread is locked."

Then when the member is allowed back in, they complain. OF COURSE they were going to complain. You'd have to be pretty fucking stupid not to be able to predict that.

So instead of deciding it would be a good idea to try and smooth out the situation, they ban him again.

Childish, ignorant, and stupid.

What I'm saying is, I'd like to be banned from this forum specifically. I don't want anything more to do with it. One of the reasons given for Swami's banning was that he was driving members away. Making them feel unwelcome. Yet it's okay to single him out and demonize him to the point where you're driving all kinds of other members away.

Congradulations. Good job, and goodbye.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Tell me to fuck off, please. [Re: Phluck]
    #3561263 - 12/30/04 02:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Fuck off.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3561264 - 12/30/04 02:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Seeya Phluck... good luck wherever you land.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3561283 - 12/30/04 02:24 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'll miss you around here, Phluck. I'll try and help carry the torch of logic and reason around here, but it's going to be a lot more difficult with you gone.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineKenny7822
Kenny
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA, USA
    #3561288 - 12/30/04 02:26 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's sad to see so many people leaving just because one person was banned :frown:

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Tell me to fuck off, please. [Re: silversoul7]
    #3561291 - 12/30/04 02:26 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Don't worry, I might even come back if certain people pull their heads out of their asses.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Tell me to fuck off, please. [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3561306 - 12/30/04 02:32 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

And the list grows...

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Tell me to fuck off, please. [Re: Kenny7822]
    #3561311 - 12/30/04 02:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Its also pretty sad to see people being banned because some people round here are too precious to take some mature debate.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineKenny7822
Kenny
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA, USA
Re: Tell me to fuck off, please. [Re: GazzBut]
    #3561332 - 12/30/04 02:37 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I agree, some people take things a little too seriously/personally.

Edited by Kenny7822 (12/30/04 02:38 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #3561335 - 12/30/04 02:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:frown:

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

#3561337 - 12/30/04 02:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

People seem to think that silly beliefs and fairy tales actually have something to do with philosophy

Philosophy seems to be a person's take on the world and if they want to have a paticular belief then they can. Their belief can be part of their philosophy. It's ignorant to think that people don't have their own beliefs. If you can't accept the fact that there will ALWAYS be people that argue with you then I can completely understand why you are leaving.

You can't decide for others what is and is not a "fairy tale" and I can't help the fact that it makes you mad that I believe something you don't.

What makes a belief a fairy tale in the first place? Is it the fact that YOU can't find proof for it? Where is the proof in the big bang/no deity greater than the universe tale? Doesn't that make it a fairy tale? I can't find any evidence that can prove or disprove it so I'm going to leave it at that, a fairy tale. That seems to be the pretense your working with here.

Notice that this forum is called "spirituality and philosophy"... These "beliefs" seem to have alot to do with this forum since most "spirituality" stems off of beliefs; I don't understand why you assume that this is just about philosophy.

I believe in God and I believe in Jesus as God... does that mean my head is in my ass?

...maybe I'm reading too far between the lines here...

--------------------

Edited by ld50negative1 (12/30/04 02:41 PM)

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#3561359 - 12/30/04 02:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I agree.

Sometimes I will try to make a post or start a thread on this forum, but 80% of what I will get in response is hippie nonsense and fantasy talk. This is very discouraging to those of us who are serious about philosophy and/or not delusional.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Tell me to fuck off, please. [Re: ld50negative1]
    #3561361 - 12/30/04 02:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ld50negative1 said:
You can't decide for others what is and is not a "fairy tale" and I can't help the fact that it makes you mad that I believe something you don't.

While he may not know with 100% certainty that you are wrong, he can take what you profess to believe and apply the rules of logic while also measuring against scientific knowledge, thus getting closer to some measure of objectivity.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Tell me to fuck off, please. [Re: ld50negative1]
    #3561362 - 12/30/04 02:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

There is plenty of evidence for the big bang... that is why the theory exists. Science isn't just a bunch of people making up stories and claiming that they are more true than religion.

My complaint is not that people use this forum to discuss spiritual issues. That's just fine. But when people try to equate their spirituality to philosophy, that's ignorance. But that's not really what this post is about anyways. This post is about the way certain ideas and members are being treated.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #3561482 - 12/30/04 03:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

you all suck

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
    #3561613 - 12/30/04 03:45 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

At the risk of being TOTALLY anoying, I would like share my take of the situation from a newbie's perspective. I would actually call myself a theist AND a philosopher and I don't believe that there is any contradiction in that, and here's the reason:

I think that philosophy ALONE has to do primarily with general concepts (determinism vs. agency ect.), whereas, theology deals with the specifics (what happens when you die ect.). You can approach theistic beliefs from a philisophical standpoint for example:

The idea that there is a God and that 'he' is perfect is a theistic belief, but you could use philosophy to debate weather there is such a thing as 'perfection'. A friend of mine, who knows I believe in a God, asked me this classic philisophical question, "If God is perfect and all-powerfull, could he create a boulder that even he could not lift? If he can't create it, he is not all powerfull; but if he can't lift it then he can't be omnimopent." So he uses logic and philosophy to approach a theological doctrine.

If a 'believer' wishes to defend thier theistic beliefs to a crowd of philosophers, they will also have to use logic to show that their beliefs are valid, because let's face it, logic is a universal language. In that sense, Phluck, I could understand why you'd be annoyed because you might pose a philisophical question in the language of logic, but the answers you recieve are in a theistic dialect.

On the other hand, in the defense of ld50negative1, I don't believe that logic should ever be thought of as the 'final word', because there's always room for theistic beliefs. What if there was a big bang? That doesn't preclude the existance of a supreme intellegence who authored the whole thing. Wheather you choose to believe in a God, or Gods is a question of faith, and faith is not a rational concept. THINGS DO NOT HAVE TO BE RATIONAL TO BE REAL. Take for example irrational numbers in mathmatics. They are decimals with a remainder that goes on forever. No one can rationally comprehend 'forever', yet these irrational numbers are defined as 'REAL NUMBERS'.

My point is, science and philosophy/logic are tools to discover all that is PHYSICALLY possible about the nature of our existance and then there are subjects which are beyond the scope of these tools. Those are subjects for 'METAPHYSICS' and/or theocracy. Spirituallity should compliment rationality, not conflict with it. If there is a confilct, it's more likely a misunderstanding between the parties making their respective arguments, then from an inherent incompatibility between philosophy and theocracy.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Tell me to fuck off, please. [Re: soulmotion]
    #3561650 - 12/30/04 03:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Take for example irrational numbers in mathmatics.

That's a term for them. They actually do make sense.

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3561779 - 12/30/04 04:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

lol you want to be banned from this forum cuz you dont like it anymore? stop coming then sillypants.

Youve said your peace, goodbye!

i think its funny and sad all at once. Some people feel like leaving because others are too hard logic and make them feel threatend. then other people leave because others are too fluffy and not rational enough for them.

in other words everyone wants to come here, find a bunch of like minded syncophants to repeat there own oppinions. everyone wants everyone else to be just like them. and that definetly seems to include you phluck.

i see a bunch of whiny intellectual 'racists' . you guys, on both sides, want to segregate or discriminate against people you dont agree with! instead of wanting to come and respect diversity and discuss with both like and unlike minded people, you either want to ban certain members or you want to leave yourself.

THIS IS PATHETIC!

come here to talk! what the fuck is the point of coming to a forum where everyone thinks like you? why dont you just go talk to youself? respect differances!

i agree that swamis banning was stupid and sad, but that is an unrelated issue. again, banning swami made us all lose alot of our pleasant illusions about this place. the mods veto people who dont follow the party line, apparently. this is a shock to me and you. on this we both agree.

I see your post as having two essential components. 1. swamis banning was a shitty decision and unfair and the mods arent representing the whole group and 2. people here arent good enough for me they dont conform to my ideas.

please realize the rest of my response is totally to your #2. statements. about how people here are too fluffy and dont respect your ideas of what philosophy is and dont believe in the same logic as you. The rest of my response refers to your belief that you can choose what does and does not constitute valid and intelligent oppinions, and (what i perceive) as your oppinion that your too logical or smart for this fluffy ass board.

i give you a metaphorical scenario. Phluck comes to a party, and starts to talk. he realizes a bunch of these people are 'supid' their beliefs arent logical! they dont share his reason and values! suddenly he thinks this place is crap, these people are dumb! now he wants to leave the party.

well now we got one less judgmental, elitist jerk in the party. Hopefully we can have more fun now.

If you disagree, share your disagreements, dont walk out like your too good for the mix. or do. im just calling you as i see you, based on this one post alone.

you dont respect other people here, so you want out.

or you just want to put on a show.

i dont know.

"It doesn't seem like this forum is any good anymore"

i guess what were seeing here is a divergence of what constitutes a good forum. some of us, like me, think a good forum is a place where a variety of oppinions can be put on the table and debated respectfully, discussed and elaborated on, where all types from the close minded cynics to the hippy trippy alien worshipers are not only tolerated, but welcomed.

the other faction thinks a good forum is one where a specific elite type of oppinion is the respected one, and the opposite side ruins the forum. this is reflected equally in the elitist trash that led to swamis banning and the elitist trash that is now causing other people like phluck to leave.

Swamis not good enough for us. (bullshit) Were not good enough for phluck. (bullshit)

"fuck off" on both counts.

what im trying to show you phluck, is that the intolerant crap that led to swami being vetoed and the intolerant crap that leads you to believe that this forum 'isnt any good anymore' are really two sides of the very same coin. you want other people to play the game your way, and if they dont your going to stomp off and sulk, since you dont have the power to throw others out of the game.

and yes shame on the mods, too.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction. This poster is no longer active.

Edited by Moonshoe (12/30/04 04:50 PM)

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3561785 - 12/30/04 04:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

These things take their own course. We cannot expect a community to behave the way we want it to, or to become the place we wish it would become. Things change. If S&P has changed beyond your capability or willingness to adapt, or if you can't find any benefit in posting here anymore, then of course it's time to leave. Becoming upset about it, though, is the same childish "do what I want you to do" that is at the root of this forum's unrest. Making sure everybody knows just how unhappy you are with them is the same sort of behavior that you are complaining about.

It's also a bit silly to say things like "the list grows" as a means of laying blame on others for the course this forum has taken. We're all a part of this forum until we've chosen not to be, and therefore we are each responsible for what it has become. Blaming the moderators or certain members, expecting that they adjust their policies or behavior to be more in accordance with your own, is identical to the foolishness that commands members to be more scientific, or more sensitive in their criticism.

It seems to me that those of us shouting "grow up" still have a bit of growing up to do ourselves. Relax. It's just an internet forum. It's not as though a fifty foot high tsunami just wiped out your village.

That would solve a lot of the problems here: relax. Take it easy.

Keep in touch, Phluck.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
    #3561871 - 12/30/04 04:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Take for example irrational numbers in mathmatics.

That's a term for them. They actually do make sense.

No matter what numer system you use, whether it's the common 'base ten' system, or hexidecimal or whatever, you're still going to have irrational numbers. They are termed 'irrational' because they are not perfectly divisible. 'Pi' is an example of an irrational number: 3.14159365... and it just keeps going. That is why it's irrational, because it cannot be comprehended rationally, hense it doesn't make rational 'sense'. It is a 'REAL' number though. It does exist and it has a place with the other numbers on the number line, but it's not 'rational'. Sorry, I just had to clarify that.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology