Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemike57
Stranger
Air Pumps
    #3560306 - 12/30/04 04:53 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I noticed that some guys put their air stones in a jar of water and some just let them on the bottom of the terrarium. Would the airation be as good in a jar of water or would this just add extra humidity and lessen actual airation. I already have enough humidity with perolite in one and geolite in the other so is it best to just let air stones at bottom of terrarium?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Air Pumps [Re: mike57]
    #3560322 - 12/30/04 05:14 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

When you start pumping in room air, the natural RH in the tub will drop (because the room air has a lower RH), So..... try it both ways & see which works BEST :wink:

--------------------

Offlinemike57
Stranger
Re: Air Pumps [Re: agar]
    #3560396 - 12/30/04 06:11 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks agar, food for thought.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Air Pumps [Re: mike57]
    #3560907 - 12/30/04 12:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The air will escape under water or not just as well...like agar said you have to see which works best for your humidity...either way your air exchange should be fine. Under perlite or geolite/lava rock it can be blocked by the small particles however if you rinse whatever off well that should eliminate or lessen that problem.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Air Pumps [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3565367 - 12/31/04 02:37 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Useless food for thought...

It isn't the bubbles that add humidity, it is the surface tension that they create and the amount of surface area that determine the output of humidity... (Along with temp and RH)

A glass has a smaller surface area, but still splashes a lot...

A wide-flat area like the bottom of the container, will have better potential to add humidity. (Plus the bonus of the fact that the water will readily absorb the co2 better than air.)

The cons, CO2 water = acidic... splashing on your mushrooms, humidity will never excede the point of saturation for that temprature.

The pros, Less CO2 in the air, higher auto-balancing humidity, additional air exchange eliminates fanning.

Auto-balance = the more dry your air is, the more it will evaporate... the more saturated your air is, the less it will evaporate. (Ultimately depends on the temprature of the air, hot air holds more moisture, cold air holds less.) Aproximately (75F = 85% potential humidity.)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (12/31/04 02:39 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation