Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNeiL

Loc: Scotland, UK
Brugmansia Sanguina- Leaf yellowing and shedding
    #355638 - 07/16/01 05:28 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I have a Brugmansia Sanguina. Recently, some of the leaves have started turning yellow and then dropping off. I was wondering if anyone had any idea why this may be?
It is kept at a west facing window, and so gets fairly direct strong light during the afternoon.
It is watered reguarly, so that the soil is kept damp, reguarly with dilute fertiliser.
Recently, when i was working long hours, the soil was allowed to dry out and the leaves drooped. I watered as soon as i noticed this and the plant perked up immediatly. It was not drooping for long.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhyl
old hand
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Brugmansia Sanguina- Leaf yellowing and shedding [Re: NeiL]
    #355649 - 07/16/01 06:14 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know much about brugmansia specifically, but yellowing leaves is often an indication of low nitrogen levels. Do you regularly fertilse your plant? If not then I would recommend buying a high nitrogen fertiliser (Fertilisers usually have 3 numbers listed on the box, and the first is the nitrogen ratio)

Anonymous

#355917 - 07/16/01 06:45 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Idealy the plant should be facing the south. Where do you live, your soil may need some lime or sulphur, depending on location. Most if not all of the Brugmansia's will eventually wind up with a disease of some sort. Usually a virus. Insects love all the solanacea plant family, and insects carry viruses from plant to plant. No matter how much you fertilize, if the PH is outside the needed range, your nutrients are gonna be locked up, and unusable by the plant. 99 % of the time though it is a disease. These Brugmansia's are jungle Datura's and they don't do well outside their naturalized habitat.
On a lighter note, seasonal changes also effect them. Sometimes they look best in cooler climate where I live, in sunny south Florida. They look the best in the fall here. Mine constantly go through spurts of growth and dieback, and they always have insects on them. Hope this was helpful.
They may need to be cut back to the base of the stems, these things grow back very fast in the right climate.

InvisibleNeiL

Loc: Scotland, UK
Re: Brugmansia Sanguina- Leaf yellowing and shedding [Re: ]
    #356354 - 07/17/01 02:22 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I do fertilise the plant reguarly. What is the required pH range of the soil?

Anonymous

#356514 - 07/17/01 08:32 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

The PH should be around neutral, but this probably isn't your problem. These things host a shmorgasboard of diseases, mainly Viral. If the stems start to die back, cut them almost to the ground, leaving about four to six nodes per branch. They are sensitive to moisture fluctuations too. I have all types of Brugmansias and Daturas and they all go through problems. When they are healthy they look beautiful, but they can look very bad sometimes. Without seeing the plants, or at least having a few more details, it would be pointless to assume or diagnose. Good luck!! If all else fails, cut them back!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies