Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDaShroomer
Stranger
Casing Q's??
    #3558001 - 12/29/04 06:02 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Sup all? Ok so i did a casing purely verm layer on top, with one cake in each. I was reading more into casing becuase i picked up some coir and am going to do it next. Currently i have pins popping up in about 10 areas on each casing aobut 4 pins each area.

Am i supposed to lightly mist still? Upward motion into the air so it lands sofly on the casing. It looks a little dry.

Also i read that all the pins from every flush are present during the first flush. If that is the case do i pick the mature mushies and leave the pins? After each flush i'm supposed to saturate the casing, but what if pins are present? Do i spray around them?

Also i got some Forest Bed (expanable substrate) is this coir? If so should i apply some to subseqeunt flushes or just wait to use it in my next casing? Thanks in advance!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Casing Q's?? [Re: DaShroomer]
    #3558074 - 12/29/04 06:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Do not mist directly, spray the walls for humidity -- better too dry than too wet especially at this stage with a crop at stake.  The casing probably looks dry because the mushies are getting ready to explode in growth, remember mushies are 90% water.

As far as every pin is present in first flush, not true. New pins will develop if you have the casing integrity to support another flush.  Some people do a "dunk" to resaturate the casing.

Forest bed will work fine,  make sure to expand it first, then calibrate it to field capacity.  Do a search if any of these terms are unfamilliar.

Good luck!

:rasta:,

mycomancer

--------------------

Edited by Mycomancer (12/29/04 07:50 PM)

OfflineDaShroomer
Stranger
Re: Casing Q's?? [Re: Mycomancer]
    #3558150 - 12/29/04 06:47 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks MYC!!  So after the first flush what do you suggest i do?

I've heard many diffent things (dunking, saturating, scrapping, re-casing, Apply more substrate)?? 
What do YOU think would be my best bet after first flush.  Also should i pick everything from the flush then take action to induce a second flush or pick the larger mushies and let the smaller that don't obviously (blacken) abort mature? 

Also my casing where done with EQ pf tek cakes and i grew some out of cakes and didn't case and the pins where orange/yellow the ones of the same strain in the casing are oraneish red?  Could this mean they are aborts?  Could this have happened due to my light misting (only did it twice and light is and understatement) 

Thanks so much for your help!!  :smirk:

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

#3558333 - 12/29/04 07:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Pick em all, mycelium can focus on one thing at a time, if there are still pins that's where it's focus will be, remove them all and it's focus will shift to a new pinset.  Plus if they abort, it can open up avenues for contams.

A casing has a finite quanta of expendable energy.  If it's focusing on a few pins, that's where it's expending it's energy.  The longer it's focus is here the less energy will be available for a new pinset, which leads to a smaller pinset, smaller shrooms.

Plus the time factor: chance of contams increases in accordance to lifetime of casing, keep the flushes moving.

for second fruiting, patching exposed spots is easiest way to recover. 
People swear by dunks and i don't doubt them, you can get quality flushes, but my personal philosophy is minimalistic, dunking seems like too much handling for me...just my opinion.

As you know, aborts blacken. I wouldn't worry about the orange/red,, just watch for signs of abort, and as before, be careful about overmisting and you should be fine.

mycomancer

--------------------

Edited by Mycomancer (12/29/04 07:46 PM)

OfflineDaShroomer
Stranger
Re: Casing Q's?? [Re: Mycomancer]
    #3558357 - 12/29/04 07:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for another oh so elegant post and info!!  Thanks for your help and kind words!! :thumbup:

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

#3558368 - 12/29/04 07:44 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

no problem :cool:

mycomancer

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation