Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineskab
journeyman
Air Circulation Question
    #355723 - 07/16/01 11:03 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, I've got a question about the amount of air which should be available to the substrate during colonization.. I'll start off with exactly what I did to prepare the jars:
1.) Mixed 3 cups Whole Grain Organic Rye w/ 6 cups Perlite and 2 cups of distilled water.
2.) Spooned them equally into 6 1-Pint Ball canning jars.
3.) Punched two holes in each lid at opposite sides of the jars, and covered both with a piece of masking tape.
4.) With the lids slightly loose, boiled all 6 jars in a pressure canner for about 50 min - 1 hour. Let cool for 20 min, then tightened the lids. Let sit overnight.
5.) Next morning, innoculated the jars - 4cc's per jar total. (2 in each hole), through the masking tape, and immediately taped over the holes with more masking tape. Also wiped the needle down with an alcohol swab between jars.

Its now the next morning, (not that I expect anything to be growing yet of course), but I'm stuck when it comes to air circulation.. About 1/3 of the methods ive read say to keep the tape on, and the lids tight.. Another 1/3 say to leave the tape on, but loosen the lids, and another 1/3 say to remove the tape alltogether.. Logically, it would colonize faster with the tape off, but that also greatly increases the risk of contaminants.. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated..
-P.S- I've read that the tape can be removed without [greatly] increasing contamination rates by having a dry layer of perlite/verm at the top of each jar, but since I didnt do that when originally preparing the jars, i'd ruled it out as an option..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: Air Circulation Question [Re: skab]
    #355726 - 07/16/01 11:14 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

Offlineskab
journeyman
    #356971 - 07/18/01 10:01 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Also, I've been reading that its a good idea to cook, or even soak the rye before boiling it, neither of which I did. How much is that prone to affect the contam rate?

OfflineDoc
Stranger
    #357049 - 07/19/01 01:05 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

skab,
Here is something that may work. I read many things as well and have put some ideas together Here is something that may work -If I ever thought of doing this type of research. Use 1/2 pint wide mouth Ball jars. Use a sheet of aluminum foil as a barrier between the substrate and lid. (Ramsey seal) add a little vermiculit on top of the aluminum foil and seal them with the metal lids. Pressure cook your jars. Buy the plastic wide mouth caps and use them instead of the metal. When your ready to inoculate your jars you punch the holes-make them some what large(use a screw to punch the hole) remove the metal screw top- leaving just the lid with the holes. Innoculate your jars and screw the plastic lid down. You can adjust the lid to adjust your co2/O2. Plus keeps water from rusting the lids or going into the holes or the use of tape. I can let you know how this method works in the very near future.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation