Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
Dying perlite
    #3556658 - 12/29/04 11:14 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I get bored sittin at work so i ponder the teks of mushies.  Well this is what i was wondering about today... Is it possible to use non-toxic black (or dark colored) food dye in the water one uses to moisten their perlite?  I ask because it would simulate earth much better for cakes, as a few of my cakes sometimes have pins pushing from underneath the cake (near where the cake begins to go vertical) into the perlite, and i'm assuming this causes them to abort (not positive cause i pick them before i know if they're aborted or not)  thanks for any input!  :thumbup:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dying perlite [Re: SoK]
    #3556684 - 12/29/04 11:25 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

The perlite isn't supposed to replicate nature in a visual sense, all it does is provide humidity. You are seeing pins underneath the cake because that's closer to the perlite, where humidity is much higher.

Please don't add dye to your perlite, that will be a big mess. Just dunk your cakes and cover them with a moist layer of verm (rolling) and you should see even pins form around the cake.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3556690 - 12/29/04 11:27 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Dye shouldn't hurt them but they may suck it up and change colors...hmm...that sounds intersting,lol. Black's not such a bad idea considering that it wouldn't be hot and attract mushrooms (hot=reflections....reflections are sometimes have "more" light than actual light...b/c they kind of maginfy ect ect, i think u get what i mean) so that might not be such a bad idea...but you may want to find out exactly what's in the dye that ur using and do your best to find out how it may/may not react w/ pysliocyben
Gl...i might try this jus to see what happens...
:thumbup:, gl

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Dying perlite [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3556696 - 12/29/04 11:29 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Holy divers correct, while the humidity part is true there are also other things you have to consider besides humidity, Hot spots, like setting ur cakes on aluminium, thats something that causes cakes to pin on the bottom as well..and yea...lol...now that i think about it, that would be on Big Ass mess...but w/e, sounds like tof

OfflineSoK

#3556716 - 12/29/04 11:38 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

alright, well thanks for the advice guys, had to give it a shot... are there any recommendations for something to prohibit primordia formation on the bottom of a cake using perlite, or will rolling in verm fix this? i don't want to set the cakes on lids or anything to get max moisture into them, but i feel like i'm going to be handling my cakes excessivly if i have to keep picking the shit off the bottom. this was my trial run for cultivating so i'm just trying to learn all i can and try to get a max yield from what cakes i have in the fruiting chamber

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3556722 - 12/29/04 11:43 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well to be honest i jus used mason jar lids and aluminum foil, lol...but plastic container tops work....you can jus place the side that had the dry verm on it on the bottom.....but my guess is that there's someone out there w/ a better and much more professsional way..but till then my way works out jus fine :laugh:
gl

OfflineSoK

#3556992 - 12/29/04 12:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i'm going to try one of the teks on this forum shortly for breaking a cake in half, crumbling each half and using the small black solo cups with a top and bottom verm layer as a mini casing that is supposed to yield really well, like double what a normal cake would produce using standard MMGG tek. hopefully it goes alright, i'm sure i'll do a follow up if i do

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3557289 - 12/29/04 02:37 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You say you want max moisture for abundant pinning but you pick the shrooms at the perilite which is due to sitting on the perilite and soaking up moisture before they can grow? Your not doing shit leaving the cakes to sit directly on the perilite since your picking all the good that comes from it..put them on the lids or tin foil or dont pick the shrooms growing at the bottom of the cake.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation