Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Tsunami Disaster in Asia
    #3555836 - 12/29/04 05:21 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

CBC is reporting now that the death toll of this disaster has surpassed 68,000. Some are projecting that the final count will exceed 100,000. Famine and disease might take the number into the millions. These tremendous numbers got me thinking about what this place, this life, is all about.

Life is suffering. Suffering exists everywhere. An entire region of the planet is intensely sore with a suffering that will persist for many years. Our lives are by comparison easy and secure, but still we have very little contentment. At any moment, the ease and security of our own life might be robbed from us forever. Our very life may disappear without warning, as more than 68,000 already have. That is what life is: instability, turmoil, suffering.

Suffering has a cause. The more that we cherish things for our self, the more we attach ourselves to people and things, the greater our potential to experience suffering. People and things are not reliable. They may vanish without a trace, or be destroyed without any chance for us to intervene. People and things cannot make us happy, they can only provide us temporary elation before bringing us more pain. The people and things in our lives which we hold on to as a source of happiness will always betray us.

Suffering can be ended. When we are attached to people and things, we are preoccupied with preserving their presence in our lives and are therefore incapable of enjoying them to the fullest. The more aware we are of the unreliablility of things, that they may vanish without warning in circumstances such as an unpredictable and unstoppable natural disaster, the less we will become attached to them, and the more joy we will be able to derrive from our relationships, from our posessions.

Insight brings cessation of suffering. When we understand that everything we will ever own will be taken from us, that everyone we will ever meet will eventually be parted from us, we will also come to understand the preciousness of each moment. When each moment is like a precious gem to us, we will not squander them on anger and jealousy. We will instead use each one of them to develop genuine understanding of the valueless waste of life that is cherishing ourself, and the enormously profound benefit of cherishing others. When this becomes a way of life, it has the potential to bring about a total cessation of suffering and worry, replacing it with a never-ending feeling of bliss and contentment.

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
Re: Tsunami Disaster in Asia [Re: Ped]
    #3556205 - 12/29/04 08:04 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i cant say it enough were next. were to comfortable. i believe something is coming on the scale as what just happened. were not safe and weell know it soon enough.

$30, help me out and buy one!
Square Store - https://squareup.com/store/peace-angel-clothing-ent

Paypal - peaceangelclothingent@gmail.com

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Tsunami Disaster in Asia [Re: sui]
    #3556410 - 12/29/04 09:21 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Very well said. :thumbup: And I'd add that when practicing non-attachement, we can still take pleasure in temporary things. :flowers:

We know little
Loc: florida
Re: Tsunami Disaster in Asia [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3556440 - 12/29/04 09:34 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

This instability and turmoil you speak of, it is chaos. Chaos is a natural feature of this world and everywhere you look govermental and religous leaders try give order, to make people feel secure. They give rules and regulations and laws, because naturally people want order. But its really a false sense of security because like i said, we dont know who we are and how we got here. Ride the waves of chaos.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology