Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
SUBLIMATION
    #3554982 - 12/29/04 12:25 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Sub-li-mate

1. (verb) To cause (a solid or gas) to change state without becoming a liquid.

2. a.To modify the natural expression of (a primitive, instinctual impulse) in a socially acceptable manner.

b. To divert the energy associated with (an unacceptable impulse or drive) into a personally and socially acceptable activity

So this is the concept that we're dealing with: Sublimation.

We live in a tangible world. Some people say that matter and substance are just an illusion...okay that's fine, whatever, but we call it 'tangible' anyway; that's the term we use to describe our physical expiriences.

We define 'tangible' in contrast with the 'intangible' or the 'immaterial'. Examples of intangible things would be: emotions, ideas, concepts ect.

We also notice how the intangible tends to manifest itself in tanglible ways, for example: anger, an emotion, manifests itself as violence, love-- sex, mathmatical concepts are represented by physical symbols and so forth.

Without an efficient conversion from the intangible to the tangible, our lives become awkward and unmanagable. For example, let's say a married woman has an emotional issue. She tries to interpet this feeling and express it vocally (physically) to her spouse, but in the process she fumbles and says some things that she didn't intend, and inadvertently causes a misunderstanding. This is a typical situation.

Through the use of psychidellics, we often are able to visualize and understand the deepest of concepts, but how well do we articulate that understanding in our communications to others and in our social behavior. This is a subject which has been raised alot in this forum it seems: How to convert thought into action. I call it 'sublimation'.

Here's the catch though,

Many people have also suggested that our goal should be to escape the material world (through drugs, or spirituality, or both) and therefore we shouldn't feel obligated to sublimate our behavior.

What say ye?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
Re: SUBLIMATION [Re: soulmotion]
    #3557427 - 12/29/04 03:11 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

To sublimate behavior into society is subjective toward the referred society. There are communities of which transcension thru drugs/meditation/etc are necessary practices. Other communities would scoff at this in because their guided practice is bliss = money/toys/etc.

My point is that if you belong to a social group professing the lack of truth in material gain or even possession, after belonging to a different belief system (present day Babylon), you have sublimated your behavior, right?

But this should be done from wisdom and a need for truth, not a desire to appear more socially acceptable to peers. I wonder if that being the case would it still be considered sublimation if the act occured at the hands of personal gratification.

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: SUBLIMATION [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #3557574 - 12/29/04 04:08 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

What is the point of life? We all come from the fundamental Whole, the Ineffable. Why is anything manifested? Why is anything of a conventional nature?

Indeed, we forget why if we only take the tangible, the conventional, to be the totality of reality. This renders life's meaning equally artificial. To look back to the Whole and express its innate beauty, that is the point! The point is to love and enjoy life, and to help others do the same, but it only becomes obvious when you look back to the Whole wherein these qualities are innate.

We, as physical entities, are tangible manifestations of the infinitely subtle whole. Thus, every action should reflect the Whole and what it stands for, every action should be a ritual. Not only those done in public, from underneath a mask, but also those done in private, for the Whole sees all. What kind of person you are deep down is what counts for it reflects the accuracy with which you reflect, or express, the Whole.

Everything is constantly expressed in increasingly tangible forms, and these forms are constantly contracting back into the subtle Whole. Such is the cycle of life. In this constant state of transcendence, conventionality (imbalances) are continuously purged and the magnificense of the Whole is constantly expressed.

As humans, we can in turn express the Whole a level further, by creating things of an even great tangibility than ourselves. Art is self-transcending conventionality that inspires this sense in its observers. Or, at least, it should be.

"Don't worry, be happy." Worry is not true to the nature of the Whole. :smile:

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
Re: SUBLIMATION [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #3559124 - 12/29/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm new to the art of cultivation... not mushroom cultivation but to the cultivation of an S&P discussion. Maybe 'SUBLIMATION' was the wrong substrate, because it didn't produce many fruits.  :confused: no worries though!  :tongue2:

Maybe I need to re-cast the question:

there are some people who would say that this existance that we're in right now is worthless because it is a physical existance and that once we escape this realm, through divination or whatever means, we are in our 'true reality'. While I would agree that it is important to explore the subconscious realm, I believe that our physcial existance is also important and we ought to bridge the gap between them rather than try to escape to one side or the other. If anyone's listening, holler...

Edited by soulmotion (12/29/04 11:28 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Compare CBD

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology