Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleichbinkiffer
...like amo'fuckie

heating pad issues
    #3554617 - 12/28/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

when using a heating pad in an incubator, is there any danger to leaving it on most of the time? the heating pad of course is on top of the colonizing jars (should there be a towel between the jars and the pad?) and set on medium. it's a new heating pad...is there any kind of fire hazard or any risk like that?

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: heating pad issues [Re: ichbinkiffer]
    #3554645 - 12/28/04 09:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yes use a towel and watch temp.

Hell YES its a fire hazard.Was not designed to run7/24.Use a timer.

GL

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Edited by KaptKid (12/28/04 09:24 PM)

Offlinedjred

#3554651 - 12/28/04 09:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

whoa.... get that heating pad off your jars? man your asking for trouble going to kill those spores buddy if kept to long at any setting im positive. you need a tub n tub then laya towel under the tub then heating pad under towel. i keep mine in a dresser cabinet.holds heat so i don't worry about blankets around my tub n tub another issue i keep my heta pad on low and they heat up the jars almost to warm i let the heat out or crack the lid so i don't worry about temps.

InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Loc: Australia
    #3554660 - 12/28/04 09:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

the heating pad of course is on top of the colonizing jars

you would do better with the heating mat underneath the jars (this is the norm) might just be a typo though.
a towel shouldn't be necessary (unless direct contact is to hot).

sure they can be a fire risk, but used correctly it should be safe. its unlikely running all day would pose a problem (depending on your local temps you may only require it during the night. as mentioned they are designed to be running for extended periods.

good luck.

Edited by Bolwarra (12/28/04 09:33 PM)

Offlinedjred

Re: heating pad issues [Re: djred]
    #3554662 - 12/28/04 09:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

....man i have had my pads on since thanksgiving not one problem. they are meant to leave on for extended periods of time.. maybe not a month and half but nothing has concerned me yet as to any kinda fire

Offlinemike57
Stranger
    #3554700 - 12/28/04 09:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

TIT with aquarium heater with exterior thermostat, best way to go.

Invisibleichbinkiffer
...like amo'fuckie

Re: heating pad issues [Re: mike57]
    #3555289 - 12/28/04 11:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

um maybe my heating pad sucks, even though i bought it new today and it set me back $15.

i was testing it and on high it never so much as got warm to the touch. anyway i had placed it on top of my jars as per the advice i found in a search of these boards. i had stabilized the temps at ~82F, according to the thermometer sitting amongst the jars.

i moved the heating pad to a layer under my jars, though. and i put a cloth on top of the jars, and then shrouded the box in more cloth, in hopes of providing some insulation. i also bumped the setting up to medium to compensate for the fact that the heating pad will have to work harder...cause as i mentioned earlier, this heating pad barely heats up. right now the temp is reading 81.0, and has been there for awhile but it had been slowly falling. hopefully things will stabilize around here, or go up a degree or two.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3555296 - 12/28/04 11:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Heating pads=hot spots=poor colonization conditions.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinedjred

Re: heating pad issues [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3555440 - 12/29/04 12:13 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

man heating pads are wonderful. it's not the heating pad thats the problem,its your enviroment. is the area of your incubation seperate from the rest of the house say like a box or cabinet? then the heat generated from the pad will stay insulated.given your using a tub n tub method of course. i can't begin to tell ya the fucking probs i had with temps until my first tub n tub..everyone is going to have adiff opinion of how to do it.but for 15 dollars i wuold have bought a 50 watt fish tank heater from wally world then baught a couple of small tubs..rubber maid are far better..

Offlinedjred

#3555445 - 12/29/04 12:15 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i just had a couple of old heating pads around and they still ticking as we speak keeping my jars plenty warm no hot spots..which heating pads will create hot spots on the pad..some areas heat up good some don;t..

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3555469 - 12/29/04 12:24 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You can use them correctly...I just don't recommend them because its difficult to do correctly. Much better if you don't try to heat up the jars with the heating pad and instead heat up the air surrounding the jars...that would provide even heating but generally its tough for most people to use heating pads and have it benefit instead of hurting.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinedjred

#3555478 - 12/29/04 12:27 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

well scat i agree i wouldn't use a heating pad anywhere near my jars... thats why i have a tnt with a heating pad..:) the incubators i have are hanging out ina cabenit of a dresser..plus i have a tnt with a fish tank heater..now that is a bitch to get correct..im still nto sure if i have my temps in my incubator correct..with the fish heater..i should go check temps real quick...i know they are not above 95 so no worries in my book. to me i keep my jars a little warm..

checked those babies out..about 91 i would give it so i took the blanket out.its a 18L i think tub n tub..letting it drop a few deg tonight check the results in the morning.

Edited by djred (12/29/04 12:32 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3555492 - 12/29/04 12:31 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I've found above 90=more water buildup and myc piss and shrunken drier substrate...perhaps thats just me though :smile: A TNT would be what I would do if using a heating pad..

--------------------

Offlinedjred

#3555503 - 12/29/04 12:34 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i agree scat..a little water build up..drier substrate umm maybe i could see that..my cracked corn has dried out somewhat but i still see moister in the jars thinking i will have to dunk those jars before casing?

haven't exp myc piss yet..still new to this game.but i do have karo jars down tight. wbs is simple.i like cracked corn..no soaking over night..i just checked my other casing

growth is going nicely it's running behind i think. im concerned some of the kernels stick up into the casing layer more then others kinda un even casing depth.i will work out the issue down the road..

Edited by djred (12/29/04 12:39 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3555540 - 12/29/04 12:43 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Dunking doesnt help grains much, they dont rehydrate easily unless you mix some verm in too. I do also use rye, not corn so perhaps the corn is a little better hot..

With the uneven casing...when it comes up lightly patch the thicker white...the hills and valleys are benificial to shrooms...you do not need an even substrate layer and you dont need a level casing layer..you just need the casing layer to be even compared to the substrate, not level though.

--------------------

Offlinedjred

#3555551 - 12/29/04 12:46 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

yeah i have a casing if you could tell me i have strong white growth coming up i have patched a couple samll areas 1 time now the whole casing is going white just below the layer of casing but still has spots above it should i patch again or just let mother nature do its work..

Edited by djred (12/29/04 12:47 AM)

Offlinedjred

#3555559 - 12/29/04 12:49 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

as you can see far right bottom solid growth coming through i was wanting to patch it up again.and the other areas..it's a mini casings with a baggy on bottom and on top i mist the inside baggy tonight and barley the casing layer not much no over kill. im just trying to figure out a good time to stop patching..

Offlinedjred

#3555567 - 12/29/04 12:52 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

light cycle is pretty much by the stairs to the basment door indirect light then during the evening it gets light from the downstairs have it on a bookshelf..we have a finished basement..so light i say is alot i guess..lol

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3555575 - 12/29/04 12:53 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'd continue patching until it comes up completly even:

--------------------

Offlinejuende
feministpresence

#3555702 - 12/29/04 02:31 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

... props to using a heating pad. the tub in tub method.
take a small or medium sized tub and put it in a larger one. put the heating pad on top of the lid of the small one with all yer jars and such inside and close it up. the temp stays perfect [depending on teh heating pad used.]

i think the TiT method is best [direct heat should never ever ever be used, even with a towel as a barrier.] but it doen't have to be a aqauriam heater. a heating pad will do the job. and i have had a heating pad run over two month straight, as in never turing it off. and i've never had a fire or had it burn out on me.
good luck to you.

-jue

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale