Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
I am looking for contaminated prints...
    #3546431 - 12/27/04 12:21 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Please, if you have any KNOWN contaminated prints, don't throw them out! These are prints that have given you 90%-100% contamination, even after taking all precautions. (Contamination seems to come from print or needle.) I am only interested in prints, not syringes, for reasons that I can't get into!

I have successfully cultured, without error, Cob-web mold, Look-alike Green mold (Starts out looking like a colonizing cake), and Penicillin mold. I am interested in obtaining black mold, black slime, true green mold (Starts out green, not white), red mold, black/brown bacteria rot, and blue scale mold.

You could help my efforts by adding a photo of the contamination, or by adding a written description of the contamination. I am interested in attempting to find "Survivors" from these contaminations. Ones that will outgrow, or contribute biologically toward repelling the growth of these known contaminations. (Grow faster and prevent spreading of the contaminations, as opposed to being overthrown by them.)

As for the cob-web mold, I have already got a grip on that... The (Look-alike) green mold, seems to be a lost battle, so far. It is real hard to tell the difference, but in the end, the green mold has always been the dominating population. When it comes to the penicillin mold, that usually just grows side-by-side, so I think that will eventually be a repel/survival issue, as opposed to dominance.

I am only working with two strains right now. (B+ and Classic) You can send other strains, if you wish, but please note that they are not (B+ or Classic). (I will store those spores for later use, as my work-space is designated to the task at hand.)

I do not need full prints, nor do I need samples of the mold spores. I am only interested in "Known Contaminated Spores", not isolations of contamination spores. It is the ones that grew there that will have the genetic qualities that I am looking for.

If you include a SASE, I will happily send you back your contaminated print, as I only intend to scrape until I get the desired contamination that is described in the letter/photo. Final analysis of the contamination will be from, "Environmental Diagnostics Laboratory  (EDL)".

Please wrap the print in fresh aluminum foil, and seal inside a zip-lock bag, so that no further postal contamination comes along with it. Where possible, ship in a tyvec envelope! :smile:

Thank-you,
LaughingJim

Mailing Info: PM only...

P.S. Don't send mushrooms, or mycelium growth in agar!

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (12/27/04 12:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I am looking for contaminated prints... [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3546500 - 12/27/04 12:42 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I had a jar that was fully colonized except for 1/8'th of a peice of grain pushed up against the glass...that turned green and eventually took over the whole jar. I dont think growing quickly will help at all with strong molds (cobweb is pretty weak but the rest arent) since they just end up devouring the myc anyway, no matter how much myc is there.

I tend to be lazy with my cleanup of contamed jars..they get boxed up and go to the closet downstairs...they have tyvek on them so nothing gets out but I do have a tendency to put off cleaning them nasty shits for a while...off all the jars I've kept I've had bacterial, green, black pin head mold, and lipstick...not one of probably 8 different strains and over 50 jars did the mycelium ever win.

Don't think I'm trying to talk you out of anything, just offering my experience with contams...I have no contamed prints..you want my contamed jars? Just clean em up and send em back to me k? :smile:

I also don't know what you mean by "true green mold". Do you mean Trichoderma? Trich does start out white.

Trich;
http://www.shroomery.org/images/23418/trichoderma111__scaled_180.jpg

Penicillium also is white and green:
http://www.shroomery.org/images/23418/green7.jpg

So does Aspergillus:
http://www.shroomery.org/images/23418/aspergillus.jpg

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (12/27/04 12:55 AM)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: I am looking for contaminated prints... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3546546 - 12/27/04 12:56 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Part of that comes from the fact that the method for production is to throw away any contamination... since that will make you sick...

Thus, over time, we/they have created a strand that can not withstand any contams... Sort of like the human race. We all see doctors, and keep the sick breeding, now needing more doctors, making more sick...

Now, if you were to stop treating the sick, and let those that were genetically week, pass on. You would eventually end up with a new breed of people that need less, or no, doctors. As they would have lost or gained the genetics that let them survive longer.

If you did the same with CAKES, let them get totally contaminated, and take what is left... (If any-thing survives), then you will end up with a strain that either tolerates or retards contamination growth... (So far, as mentioned before, I don't think that green mold is a controllable fungus/mold.) However, I do have a strain, as you might also, that retards cob-web mold growth. (Those are the ones of mine that show no cob-web mold, but usually end up with penicillin mold.)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3546563 - 12/27/04 12:59 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I achieve this mostly through... (Over sterilization, Over watering, Over heating, and Over shocking.) while limiting... (Over exposure to dirty air, and irregular tempratures.)

SIDE NOTE:
BRF is the WORST thing for beginners to start with... It easily contaminates itself. (Same with vermeculite) From my trials... All of my "Controls", when following any TEK for BRF, always ends up contaminated. Even when over-sterilized, the "Controls" still end up contaminated.

However, the WBS TEK has always produced clean "Controls", jars without inoculations.

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (12/27/04 01:04 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3546577 - 12/27/04 01:04 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I understand what your trying to do..help Darwin along...I'm just saying from everything I've seen from mycelium, its not gonna work because nothing will survive green. If you keep it untill only one survives I'm fairly sure that it will be green EVERY time. Im just guessing though from what I've seen my jars do...good luck though :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3546595 - 12/27/04 01:13 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have all of those... LOL.

I had one that had green mold that started out green, had no white to it. (Not that I could see, just seemed to go right to green, short white period, or hidden growth.)

http://microbiology.mtsinai.on.ca/mig/opfungi/opfig037.shtml

Sorry, I spent years working at a tree nursery. This was common practice, we had patents on several trees, and variations of "Spliced Breeds". Which were the result of subjecting our trees to some of the nastiest contaminations you could imagine. (Mostly slimes and powder molds.) We also subjectd them to "Worst Case Scenerio Handling", AKA: we threw them around, overheated them, overcooled them, mangled them, starved them, overfed them... etc.

The winners were the ones that just barely survived, which we then rejuvinated, where possible, or cloned them. Then we marked them as "Survivors", for future torture, and cultivation. (We NEVER cloned or seeded perfect trees, that is what others do. We were interested in those that survived human abuse/neglect and nature abuse/neglect.) We were reverse plant, "Hitlers", of the industry. Hitler thought he had a perfect breed, and tried to breed only that... When he should have been focusing on the POOR, races that have existed for eons through natural selection... If it looks sick, and it can't afford a doctor... people usually stop reproducing with it.

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (12/27/04 01:24 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3546603 - 12/27/04 01:17 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah that site says that mold is also:
" Colour: White, green to bluish-brown."

I think all the green molds can start out white but you might not see it..I'm still not sure about some species of trich though.

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3546633 - 12/27/04 01:32 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I am also interested in using the mycelium of those strains as a pre-water filter. Since the enzymes have an ability to destroy those types of contams, which I feel most of us are getting from water, not from airborn contamination.

SIDE NOTES: Peroxide, Bleach, Ozone, Alcohol... at any consumer level will do nothing for these... (They may/do work for bacteria growth, and for "Other", molds.) In order to kill these with those chemicals, you would need doses so lethal that you and your mushrooms would also be eradicated.

The only hope would be, "Genetic dominance/tolerance", or specific toxins that directly kill specific contaminations without harming others. (You can't afford that kind of research, but I can afford, and know how to handle genetic dominance/tolerance.)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
    #3547873 - 12/27/04 11:40 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

What exactly is a variation of a sliced breed?

What plants did you guys get patents on?

OfflineChaos_ult
Stranger
    #3548219 - 12/27/04 01:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This is very interesting research you're doing Jim, keep up the good work. I hope to hear how it turns out in the future.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #3548253 - 12/27/04 01:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Good research. Here is somthing ive noticed over the years of growen.

Certain strains succomb to certain molds a lot faster. I have noticed the EQ strain(atleast the one i have) gets ate up by lookalike green mold(starts out grey/white then turns green) a lot faster then others did. LIke i would have EQ and malabar cakes fruiting side by side and slowly 1 by 1 after the first or 2nd flush EQ cakes start dropping to the green. The malabar never does and continues to fruit 7-8 flushes in the same chamber green nasties where getting on EQ cakes.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: I am looking for contaminated prints... [Re: baraka]
    #3548722 - 12/27/04 03:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Spliced trees are trees from two diffrent varieties. EG, we take a "Young White Oak Dwarf", and splice a "Red Weeping Cherry" on the top, upside-down. This creates, when it lives, a tree with a strong base, and fast growing roots. While the top, which is upside-down, weeps up, then gravity turns it back down. This creates an "Umbrella" of branches that carry about three feet further from the base of the normal weeping variety, which is why we also use the white oak base for added support. The tree can be sat under, and provides great rain/sun shelter.

Since this is a tree that wouldn't normally grow in nature, we are able to patent the tree, and the process, and also copy-right the spliced breed name. "White Umbrella Weeping Red-Cherry", The trunk and flowers are white, while the leaves are green, growing off twisted and wavy red branches. Similar to this, but upside-down and taller. http://www.edgarjoycenursery.com/newscans/pages/Weeping%20Cherry.htm

For example...
The place I worked for, http://www.robertbaker.com/index.htm
The home of our patent source, http://www.pottedliners.com/about_us_1.htm
Info about plant patents, http://www.breedersrights.com/

We are on thier list of contacts, because we have joint patents and patent rights with them. (Business stuff)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (12/27/04 03:52 PM)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3548764 - 12/27/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Baraka, it's info like that, which I seek. If you could elaborate as to the more specific details, that could help.

(But I am still more interested in the B+ and Classic. Mostly because they seem to be the most commonly used/distributed. EG, more Newbs have more trouble with their first grow, which happens to be these strains.)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
    #3552347 - 12/28/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

It is the end of the world.

Spliced = graft. I am suprised you can get a patent on such things. Must be really limited to the two specific varieties in combination with the upside down graft. I hope so anyways.

Good luck with your research.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I am looking for contaminated prints... [Re: EonTan]
    #3553251 - 12/28/04 03:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I think the Classic has died off mainly..its hardly ever distributed now..B+ and EQ are I think two of the biggest. GT's get there share of popularity too..

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3553395 - 12/28/04 04:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I know, but I saw a lot of people calling "B+", "Classic"... I am sure the really were trying to say common, or popular... something to that effect.

Well, one of my endevors has payed off... The green mold project (Look-alike, on that looks like mycelium when it starts.), has taken a turn. As I expected it to do, it has stopped producing, and is slowly turning dark black. Now I see little white trails starting again. I still have to flush it to get rid of the fermenting dead green mold crap... but I expect mushrooms soon!

I only knew this was going to happen because, my terrarium does the same thing. Once I put fresh substrate inside, I get bombed with green mold and cobweb mold. After about two weeks, it just all dies, and mushrooms start to apear like crazy. Continuously, not just a few flushes. Then, about a month later, more green mold and cobweb will develop, but less this time... (The mushrooms stop again durring this time.) Followed once again by more mushroom runs.

Part of the greatest contributing factor to my terrarium issue might be from the high amount of (Ammonium Nitrate) from my frogs and other plants. (Urea and BioOrganisms)... Old farmer trick, in spring, start your flowering plants and shrubs early by peeing on them. It works. (Don't pee on your cakes, they don't flower, they fruit!)

I am still waiting to get ahold of some spores contaminated with lipstick mold and ROT.

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3553434 - 12/28/04 04:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

To elaborate a little more... (In industry planting.) Grafting is done to a single branch or a section of usually the same breed. It is called a splice when two seporate bodies are merged into a new one. It is like the difference between peeling your butt to replace burnt skin on your face = (graft), as opposed to... ripping an arm off a monkey and sticking it where your arm was, upside-down = (splice).

The patent part is more about method and result, and less about the final product. That is where the joint copy-right takes over, that is all about the product!

Same, same... Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe. I don't stroke one off, I rip on off. :smile:

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (12/28/04 04:21 PM)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3553469 - 12/28/04 04:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

By the way, you don't have to invent a time machine to get a patent... That is only for invention patents... "Design Patents" are what you commonly hear of. They only cost about $300.00 as opposed to $30,000.00 for the "Invention Patent". Infomercials RAPE the inventors with dreams of patents... but only offer "Pat. Pending", which is only like $300.00, and meens that you have applied for a patent, but havn't got one yet! Then after a year of your product being on the market... with no patent... any-one can now make it, as it is no longer patentable... like the "Fork and Knife". Only design patents can be offered on that product now. That is why there are a million variations of the same crappy abdominizer! (They were just played' by the man!)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3553491 - 12/28/04 04:31 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That is what I am leading towards with these babies!

I don't make the shoes you walk in!
I make the shoes you walk in, better!

Stammets isn't the only smart one on this planet, but he is my idol! Heck, he is selling billions of spores to EPA and EPA-agencies... and all he did was abuse those mushrooms until they grew! (Referring to the Petrolium lover mushrooms, "Oyster", which already like petrolium... now they like it more!)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3554977 - 12/28/04 10:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"GASF, we dont make most of the products you buy, we may most of the products you buy...better" I remember that commercial. I dont know what GASF is still (dont really care so much, I'm sure I could find it lol) but I remember the slogan.

I have a couple of cacti that are grafted..Moon cacti. Some cacti that had the cloraphyl bred or grafted or something (I forget) out and grafted to the top of a green stalk so ones a red ball and ones a yellow ball on top of a green cacti "brank" or whatever they're called. Cool looking... Sorry thought I'd share :smile:

No real more thoughts on the real topic here...sounds interesting and just waiting to see what happens.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale