Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Hygrometer, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Loc: Toronto
Getting back into it...
    #3551801 - 12/28/04 08:51 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Let me introduce myself...

About a year or so back I did some experimenting and had good success with grains and bulk substrates. At the time I had a friend that was showing me the ropes and I wasn't even aware this board existed. Now that I've found this glorious community and have spent a couple weeks reading I'm desperate to start some new projects :smile:

My situation is that a friend donated 4 quarts of EQ colonized millet that she didn't need. She did say that the jars were 2nd or 3rd generation G2G though, so at this point I'd just really like to get some prints made.

I have zero money and no transportation right now, BUT I do still have most of my supplies from way back including:
-rubbermaid bins
-fishtank heater
-a nice air pump
-vicks cool mist
-ultrasonic humidifier
-digital timers
-plenty of thermometers
-gladware containers (in the kitchen)
-lots of vermiculite
-a brick of coir

I was thinking that I'd just try to case the quarts in gladware containers and place them in a 30gal plastic bin kept at constant temps. What I'm wondering is what I should do to humidify? Running humidifiers to one bin seems like it might be overkill.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Assuming I do end up with a bunch of prints, I'd be more than willing to share them in return for this amazing library of information you guys have provided! :laugh:

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

-wynz

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePorchMonkey321
Mycophile

Re: Getting back into it... [Re: wynzlo]
    #3551846 - 12/28/04 09:39 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Just run one of your humidifiers to the chamber and put it on a short timer, say 5-10 min per hour. That should do nicely. Gl with it!

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Getting back into it... [Re: PorchMonkey321]
    #3551978 - 12/28/04 11:14 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If you have the Ultrasonic, I would suggest the same. They put out a LOT of unwanted volume. One good thing is that it is heavy, and falls down fast.

I would use that inside on a timer. Place it inside a cut 2 liter soda bottle, with a hole about half way up. Fill the water about 1/3 to 1/4 of the way from the bottom, 1/2 way from the hole. Set the sonic on a small cover so it sits flat and set a splash plate made from a milk carton (PET plastic) to regulate the fog. Have the water hit the plastic, instead of the whole stream flowing into the air.

Then all you need is circulation!

Your water should last for about four weeks.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (12/28/04 11:15 AM)

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Loc: Toronto
Re: Getting back into it... [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3554379 - 12/28/04 10:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the responses guys

LaughingJim: I'm not quite sure what you're suggestion is accomplishing. Is it meant to prevent excess water buildup?

I do have a nice digital timer so I should be able to control how much it's pushing out. Think I should maybe just rig the (filtered) air pump so that it's pushing air across the outlet for the ultrasonic's hose? One thing I don't have is a hygrometer, so I'll have no clue what the humidity is at...but I suppose excess water buildup would indicate that it's too high.

Also, do you guys mix H2O2 with your humidifier's water?

OfflinePorchMonkey321
Mycophile

Re: Getting back into it... [Re: wynzlo]
    #3557508 - 12/29/04 03:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Always, 1/10 H2O2/Water  :smile:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into it... [Re: PorchMonkey321]
    #3557536 - 12/29/04 03:50 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah use that ratio h202 water.

I think Jim's talking about an ultrasonic pump itself that needs a resivoir built..my ultrasnoic looks like this:

The one to the left

If yours looks like this this may be why you dont understand..From what I've heard theres some sort of ultrasnoic thats much smaller and just sits in a bowl of water or something.

Sounds like you got it pretty much down though, I dont think you'll have many problems.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Hygrometer, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation