Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineinfamous
LeArnin ThARoPes
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of the moon
PF Casing Questions?????
    #3546832 - 12/27/04 03:36 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

when using the PF tek for casing, after crumbling the cakes over perlite and letting mycelium grow for 24hrs and then adding 1/2 in of casing mix, I cover with saran wrap and foil and then pole holes, how long do I wait to take the foil off, and is it ok the lift foil to check pinning, etc.

sorry the tek doesnt cover it very well

--------------------
The land of the free on paper looks great!

here I stand head in hand turn my face to the wall

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedmc_

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: PF Casing Questions????? [Re: infamous]
    #3546897 - 12/27/04 04:00 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

remove the saran wrap/foil when its time to birth (When the mycelium starts poking through the surface). Exact timing comes with experience. Some birth their casings taking into consideration the 1-3 days for the mycelium to leave vegitative growth(stop colonizing) and thus birth early.

Its ok to lift foil. Most casing mixtures dont have much nutrients (if any at all) and thus are somewhat resistant to contams.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF Casing Questions????? [Re: dmc_]
    #3547217 - 12/27/04 06:45 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

First of all I wouldn't be using perlite as a bottom layer. If you feel you must use a bottom layer (not necessary) then use verm. As far as leaving it (foil) on I personally recommend covering it for 3-4 days then simply remove and patch any sparse breakthoughs, if it's coming through evenly then go right ahead and birth. You will have a period of 4-6 days on average that it takes the myc to complete it's transition from vegetative growth to generative growth so if timed correctly your casing surface will just be perfectly colonized by the time this transition is completed thus not wasting any of the myc's momentum allowing it to expend all it's energy now on pin production. :laugh: IF there is no myc showing when you yake off the foil to check AFTER 3-4 days recover and continue to incubate until you notice some myc poking through, this means the rest is not far behind :wink: GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinedjred

Re: PF Casing Questions????? [Re: hyphae]
    #3547600 - 12/27/04 10:00 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

well i read the casing in archives it said that many growers only let about 20% surface then they birth.that its no recomended to let your myc completely colonize the top casing...

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF Casing Questions????? [Re: djred]
    #3547733 - 12/27/04 10:50 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

When you put it in the fruiting chamber IMO only about 0-5% should be showing.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF Casing Questions????? [Re: djred]
    #3547808 - 12/27/04 11:23 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

djred said:
well i read the casing in archives it said that many growers only let about 20% surface then they birth.that its no recomended to let your myc completely colonize the top casing...

I'm not sure if you understand what it is I'm saying when you birth you can see anywhere from 0-20% but by the time your myc is in full generative (fruiting) mode the entire casing should be well established with myc thus utilizing all your casings surface area. Mind you there should be spects of uncolonized casing observed throughout the casings surface and no overlay conditions if at all possible. People who let there casings colonize past 20-30% indeed increase their chances of overlay and delay fruiting/havesting times. GL
P.S. I'm with scatmanrav I prefer 0-5%, this of course meaning the myc is just under the surface which I'll also check with a clean fork to verify.

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinemike57
Stranger
    #3547891 - 12/27/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I've already put my 50/50 casings directly in the fruiting chamber, uncovered and still had good results. These were made with fully colonized PF style cakes (crushed in a zip lock bag). Please note I'm not saying this is the way to go, just an observation.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF Casing Questions????? [Re: mike57]
    #3549107 - 12/27/04 05:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mike57 said:
I've already put my 50/50 casings directly in the fruiting chamber, uncovered and still had good results. These were made with fully colonized PF style cakes (crushed in a zip lock bag). Please note I'm not saying this is the way to go, just an observation.

You are correct in having the casings uncovered in any fruiting chamber otherwise you would be doing it incorrectly screwing up your pinning triggers. There is a big difference between good results and phemomenal results :wink: Learning to do things optimally will get you results  such as these:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlinemike57
Stranger
    #3549314 - 12/27/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Quote:

mike57 said:

You are correct in having the casings uncovered in any fruiting chamber otherwise you would be doing it incorrectly screwing up your pinning triggers. There is a big difference between good results and phemomenal results :wink: Learning to do things optimally will get you results  such as these:

Can't argue with perfection hyphae, flushes like that are only dreams to most of us!!!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF Casing Questions????? [Re: mike57]
    #3549573 - 12/27/04 06:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

BTW those flushes are from a friend and mentor :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlineinfamous
LeArnin ThARoPes
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of the moon
    #3549589 - 12/27/04 06:43 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hyphae: those pics bring a tear to eye, I can only wish to have results like that in the future. Thanks for all the help guys

--------------------
The land of the free on paper looks great!

here I stand head in hand turn my face to the wall

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix