Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesoco
Loc: your window
How Long can ya...
    #354360 - 07/13/01 06:51 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Whats up,

After I get the Jars fully, or almost fully colonized how long can I keep them? I have always used the spawn just after it's about 100%. Would they keep better in a cool/warm/room temp. or what? I know the dark will be good, so they don't start growing. Whats the max life of a 100% jar?
Would it be ok, to keep a master spawn jar for a while,with out opening it,?
Thanks for the thoughts
Peace,
SoCo

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTripsAreForKids
addict

Loc: Not In The US
Re: How Long can ya... [Re: soco]
    #354367 - 07/13/01 07:17 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

you can keep them in a refrigerator indefinately, i believe atleast.... im not sure the best temperature but i keep mine around 40 degrees, it slows growth enuf that i cant notice it at all over a long period of time, when mycelia gets cold it stops growing.... i keep agar plates with mycelia on them in the fridge for about 4 months, and im pretty sure you can keep it a hell of alot longer, but im not as experienced as other people on this board so dont immediately take my info and run with it, wait for someone else to answer...

Keep Trippin' and Blazin'

-=SporeWorks=-

--------------------
Everything posted above was out of fun, none should be taken serious. I am currently under the influence so take that into consideration.

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
Re: How Long can ya... [Re: TripsAreForKids]
    #354477 - 07/13/01 11:53 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, good info trips. When your putting any type of mycelium in the fridge it will slow or stop. Now you have to remember that this is not cryogenics(sp?). Your cakes are not Walt Disney. They WILL die if you keep them in your fridge for too long. But, putting them in the fridge will SLOW DOWN further mycelial growth, knotting, and pinning. peace

"A Wise One like me should not charge for her services....The one who charges is a liar. The wise one is born to cure, not to do business with her knowledge."-Maria Sabina

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Re: How Long can ya... [Re: soco]
    #354478 - 07/13/01 11:58 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, one more thing that i completely didn't notice. You say that you always use your jars to spawn, and your wondering if you can keep them in a "cool/warm/room temp. " environment.

Your jars can be kept in anykind of environment and can be grown for about a month and even longer after 100% colonization. If your just using your jars for spawn the most important thing is that your jars are still ALIVE. If the mycelium is DEAD then you will have no luck with spawning.

"A Wise One like me should not charge for her services....The one who charges is a liar. The wise one is born to cure, not to do business with her knowledge."-Maria Sabina

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
Re: How Long can ya... [Re: BrownPastures]
    #354497 - 07/14/01 12:46 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Wouldn't it be like simulating winter if you put it in the fridge. Mycelium lasts several months through winter, so it could probably last several in a fridge as well. Maybe you could put it in for a month or two, take it out for a week to get it strong again, then put it in again, and take it out again, etc.

Support the FSR!

--------------------
I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Re: How Long can ya... [Re: pyromaniac]
    #354624 - 07/14/01 08:46 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Actualy, most mycelium, dies during the winter. I don't know how warm your winters are but over here we have something called "freezing-temperature" or better yet "below-freezing-temperature". I don't know why you would want to keep putting in back in the fridge and take it back out after a month and then repeat the process. This would do more harm than good in my opinion. peace........

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag