Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE:
    #3543706 - 12/26/04 03:23 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: :eek:

If you are going to be in this hobby for a while & use bulk wet pasteurized substrates. This may be of interest to you. It?s cheap, simple & effective. Nor do you have to be banker to afford the cost, or a brain surgeon / metal worker / electrician to build one.

SIMPLE DIAGRAM

REQUIRES:
1. Galvanized metal Trash Can (preferably - with lid & you pick your own size))
2. Bolt on flange style electric hot water tank heating element.
3. Drill & bits
4. Cold chisel & hammer
5. Wrench
6. Rheostat (dial type)
7. Exterior type extension cord.
8. High temperature gasket maker (tube)
9. Screw driver & electrical tape
10. Candy maker style thermometer

At almost any hardware store you will find bolt on flange style 110 volt hot water heater elements (usually 1000 to 1500 watt) for $15 & up.

They look like this:

At most electrical supply places you will find rheostats that will handle 1000 / 1500 watts (like for baseboard electric heaters). Dependent on the type you find, you may also have to buy a housing & knob for it.

Measure heating element size, mark galvanized trash can the same on its side about 3 inches up from its bottom, drill holes along that line, take cold chisel & punch in holes. Wiggle / pry with cold chisel to expand hole enough that you can insert heating element snugly into the can. Mark where bracket holes go & drill then out. Apply gasket material to face of flange, insert heating element & bolt in place, then test with water in can, to insure it doesn?t leak.

Wire in extension cord end to exterior heater element screw downs & wrap WELL with electrical tape. I suggest you also bolt on a conduit U shaped hanger to the can, next to the heater element & double the extension cord through it, for safety sake, in case someone pulls, or yanks on the extension cord. It?s safer, simply because the extension cord isn?t directly attached to the heating element. Wire extension cord into & out rheostat.  Test to insure heating element heats - BEFORE - adding water to the can.

Fill can 2/3rds full of water. Plug into electrical outlet, turn rheostat to high. Insert thermometer into water & wait. It takes a long time to heat that much water to 160F range. Once water temperature is where you want it, adjust dial so it maintains that temperature.

If you want, slide a water heater insulation jacket over the can & trim to size. You can also install a metal faucet / spigot on the cans side (near the bottom) for draining purposes.

Use pillow case, laundry bag or whatever to hold your straw, or manure / straw mix.

agar

--------------------

Edited by agar (12/26/04 04:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejonas

Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: agar]
    #3544122 - 12/26/04 12:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Agar, you are the fucking man. That shits hott.

OfflineSprings
Mine(d)
Male User Gallery

Loc: sky hi
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: jonas]
    #3544211 - 12/26/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Ive had lots of probs getting my gabo can to past temps, even after cranking my hot water tank. I had to boil all the water with my PC took like 2 hours to fill it. Once I get unlazy this is what Im doing, thanks!

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Loc: The Other Side
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: Springs]
    #3544510 - 12/26/04 03:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Nice Tek Agar, :smile:

I've been cooking up a similar idea for the last couple weeks myself. Instead of a trash can, I was looking at the 5 - 10 Gal steel drums with a nice lid. Stainless would be grand, but would put quite a hurt on the pocket book. Most drums are liquid rated, so rusting wouldn't be an issue. I doubt they are rated to take the 15+ psi needed however, which is a bummer, it would make a pretty sweet home brew pressure can.. I used something similar to melt a large volume of wax for candle making, was more like a double boiler however. Once it gets heated up, it works like a champ.. Local DYI shops here have nice screw in elements, as well the flange, makes repairs nice and easy..

Necessity is TRULY the Mother of Invention.

Bsafe,
DerGeist

OfflineGlobalSmoke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: DerGeist]
    #3544618 - 12/26/04 04:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DerGeist said:
Nice Tek Agar, :smile:

I've been cooking up a similar idea for the last couple weeks myself. Instead of a trash can, I was looking at the 5 - 10 Gal steel drums with a nice lid. Stainless would be grand, but would put quite a hurt on the pocket book. Most drums are liquid rated, so rusting wouldn't be an issue. I doubt they are rated to take the 15+ psi needed however, which is a bummer, it would make a pretty sweet home brew pressure can.. I used something similar to melt a large volume of wax for candle making, was more like a double boiler however. Once it gets heated up, it works like a champ.. Local DYI shops here have nice screw in elements, as well the flange, makes repairs nice and easy..

Necessity is TRULY the Mother of Invention.

Bsafe,
DerGeist

He isnt tryin to pressure cook anything. this is for pasturizng, you dont need it to be 15+psi other wise youll fuck up your straw. do some more reading on bulk pasturizing.

oh shit by the way, this was a great post agar thanks

Edited by GlobalSmoke (12/26/04 04:13 PM)

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Loc: The Other Side
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: GlobalSmoke]
    #3544814 - 12/26/04 05:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Did I mention he was trying to PC anything? My post really didn't have anything to do with bulk pasteurizing, but more of a comment on a similar idea. The addition of a steel drum won't allow you to PC anything due to it not being able to withstand the pressure needed to do so. If it could, it would work doubly, to pasteurize your bulk straw/poo, whatever, as well bulk PC anything needed. Thanks for your input, however I think your incorrect in your assumption.

Bsafe,
DG

Edited by DerGeist (12/26/04 05:29 PM)

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: DerGeist]
    #3547264 - 12/27/04 07:23 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i would highly advise you to not attempt to PC in anything but a PC. They built a pressure chamber on that show mythbusters once. It blew out a flange with a massive bang... and that one was built out of more than a steel drum.

and he isn't necessarily incorrect on his assumption. To PC something, you gotta boil water. Pasteurization only takes the water up to 160ish (but for a much longer time). Pasteurization is what people who grow on bulk prefer. I've never done poo/straw so I'm no expert on it, but I'm pretty sure that a sterile (i.e. PC'ed) bulk mix is a haven for contams because there's nothing to fight off. And if you're talking about PCing that much grain, that's just crazy. That's why people grow bulk in the first place.

Then again, there's always the All American 941

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: gsmith]
    #3547322 - 12/27/04 07:50 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

PASTURIZE :grin: PASTURIZE :grin: PASTURIZE :grin: PASTURIZE  :smirk:PASTURIZE :smirk:

NOT PRESSURE COOK :crazy2: NOT PRESSURE COOK  :crazy2:NOT PRESSURE COOK  :crazy2:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: agar]
    #3547695 - 12/27/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Aha! I knew there had to be a way to heat up one of them big friggen trashcans..my stove is just a bit small for it :smile:

Once again, thats alot agar! Saved this for later use..gonna be some time before I can get around to building it but oh boy, when I do....

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3547753 - 12/27/04 10:57 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

LOL, this just fits under the hood on my foaf's stove.

LOL...loaded it weighs about 100 lbs.

--------------------

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
    #3547769 - 12/27/04 11:04 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup:

Awesome, thanks man :grin:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #3547795 - 12/27/04 11:14 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I dont think my current stove will heat up a PC that big :smile: My stove sucks arse and has enough trouble with a 23 quart dealie.

I was wondering though and I bet agar would know the answer...are there any good burners that will heat up a PC like that and are inexpensive? I've seen the single burners and double burners at like sears and Ace Hardware for under 20 bucks or around there or whatever but they dont say how hot they get and I dont know how well they'll work. As it is though I have 2 PC's and only 1 burner on my stove is a large one and will heat up stuff that well (old apartment style)..a spare burner would let me do 2 runs at once if I can find a decent one..anyways I'm rambling AND off topic so...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3550582 - 12/27/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yup, any CAMP FLAME SET. They come as little grill burners that attach directly to a propane tank. (You can also find the 99% effieciency Natural Gas versions, but they cost a little more. But you can use those inside, without venting!)

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=...asin=B000291GDO

Trash-can size, and trash-can sturdy! Also portable! (This is an out-doors model only!)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (12/27/04 09:29 PM)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3550628 - 12/27/04 09:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

As an added bonus, you can wrap the can in "Fire-Matt" fiberglass insulation. Commonly sold at auto stores as manifold matt covers. Just wrap around the can, and hold it in place with four metal bands/straps.

That will allow you to get better control of heat, instead of heating up constantly... Hot bottom and center, with cool sides and top. You could possibly finish it off with some exhaust tape, for that final touch of quality.

(Personally, I would try to get an old hot water tank, since it is already insulated. Besides, I could throw it down in my basement, with all the other water heaters! :smile:  )

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
    #3551864 - 12/28/04 07:49 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

A buddy of mine used to use a little burner dealie on his big ass kettle when he would make mash for beer brewing. If you got a brew supply shop nearby they probably sell some of those burners.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3551891 - 12/28/04 08:08 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, there's a brewery right on the corner here... called Moon-N-Shine... LOL, J/K

Target is closer!

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (12/28/04 08:08 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3553197 - 12/28/04 03:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting...a bit expensive at 70 bucks plus still the matter of a propane tank and the propane....perhaps a cheaper one can be found somewhere though..I'll have to look into propne as well, thanks Jim.

--------------------

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
    #3556204 - 12/29/04 06:04 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1347146

$35 + shipping

Target may be closer, but the brew shop in my area sells these burners for around the price I listed above.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3556620 - 12/29/04 09:03 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

agar.....i love you :smile:, lol, well not really, but ur ingenious when it comes to Simple things that help out in the biggest ways, thankx for keeping things easy and not so complex 8-)
I'd give you another rating but i can;t
but here's 5 more anyways!
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3556626 - 12/29/04 09:04 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hm....sounds like that could be one Badass TiT...well...if you got one that fit in another correctly like the tubs :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder