Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE:
    #3543702 - 12/26/04 03:21 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE:

If you are going to be in this hobby for a while & use bulk wet pasteurized substrates. This may be of interest to you. It?s cheap, simple & effective. Nor do you have to be a banker to afford the cost, or a brain surgeon / metal worker / electrician to build one.

SIMPLE DIAGRAM

REQUIRES:
1. Galvanized metal Trash Can (preferably - with lid & you pick your own size))
2. Bolt on flange style electric hot water tank heating element.
3. Drill & bits
4. Cold chisel & hammer
5. Wrench
6. Rheostat (dial type)
7. Exterior type extension cord.
8. High temperature gasket maker (tube)
9. Screw driver & electrical tape
10. Candy maker style thermometer

At almost any hardware store you will find bolt on flange style 110 volt hot water heater elements (usually 1000 to 1500 watt) for $15 & up.

They look like this:

At most electrical supply places you will find rheostats that will handle 1000 / 1500 watts (like for baseboard electric heaters). Dependent on the type you find, you may also have to buy a housing & knob for it.

Measure heating element size, mark galvanized trash can the same on its side about 3 inches up from its bottom, drill holes along that line, take cold chisel & punch in holes. Wiggle / pry with cold chisel to expand hole enough that you can insert heating element snugly into the can. Mark where bracket holes go & drill then out. Apply gasket material to face of flange, insert heating element & bolt in place, then test with small amount of water in can, to insure it doesn?t leak.

Wire in extension cord end to exterior heater element screw downs & wrap WELL with electrical tape. I suggest you also bolt on a conduit U shaped hanger to the can, next to the heater element & double the extension cord through it, for safety sake, in case someone pulls, or yanks on the extension cord. It?s safer, simply because the extension cord isn?t directly attached to the heating element. Wire extension cord into & out rheostat. Test to insure heating element heats.

Fill can 2/3rds full of water. Plug into electrical outlet, turn rheostat to high. Insert thermometer into water & wait. It takes a long time to heat that much water to 160F range. Once water temperature is where you want it, adjust dial so it maintains that temperature.

If you want it to heat faster, install two (2) water heater elements. You can also slide a water heater insulation jacket over the can & trim to size. You can also install a metal faucet / spigot on the cans side (near the bottom) for draining purposes.

Use pillow case, laundry bag or whatever to hold your straw, or manure / straw mix.

agar

--------------------

Edited by agar (12/26/04 03:57 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescioto
Stranger
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: agar]
    #3543835 - 12/26/04 08:35 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I once made a sauna heater similar to this design. Instead of water tho I used sauna rocks. Heated up real good. I might add that most electric hot water heaters you see setting on the curb for disposal have usable heater elements. The reason they are usually thrown out is because of a leak in the tank. So if your a scrounger you can pick up a few elements along with the temp setting for free. Also be sure and plug into a GFI receptacle. water+metal+electricity= The big trip.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: scioto]
    #3543844 - 12/26/04 08:43 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You can easily get the hot water heater elements at the local dump.
They are build into washing machines - have used them myself already several times.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3543961 - 12/26/04 10:56 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

that looks swell - i use a metal bucket on the stovetop, but if i was less incompetent i'd give this a try (i can just see a big unfixable leak where i put the element through).

thanks  :thumbup:

--------------------
buh

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: shirley knott]
    #3544060 - 12/26/04 11:41 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

To build this little thing, is far less of a task than nurturing a few spores through their complete life cycle, as you have done so many times, with grace,  :heart:Princess:heart:. I would gladly lend a hand if I were near. But, sadly - I am not. :wink:

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #3544299 - 12/26/04 01:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

alas, my successful days seem well behind me - lotsa stalled projects at the moment  :frown:

what's the chance of that thing heating up the wire that leads towards the socket?

--------------------
buh

InvisiblePawPaw
Picktish TexasStyle....

Loc: was born down in the sout...
    #3544368 - 12/26/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You might need an overload and a fusible link for the heating element :smirk:

--------------------
Come to Paw Paws place there will be no sleeping tonight

Eric just wants to catch reds ..
Don?t look back, don?t look back
He?s right on your trail
Don?t look back, don?t look back
He?s just a step away from hell
WDYWFM?

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: PawPaw]
    #3546621 - 12/27/04 01:26 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

1000 to 1500 watt is no big deal. Skill saws, drills, electric leaf blowers, pumps, normal hot air heaters, hot plates, electric skillets, outdoor flood lights in series, even to some bathroom hair dryers draw that many watts.

Moreover, this style 110 volt bolt on flange heater does not expose the actual ELECTRICAL HEATING ELEMENT TO WATER.

The actual heating element is a CORE inside the stainless steel casing (fully protected from exposure to water). It heats the CASING it is contained in & the heated casing, heats the water.

The electrical connection is on the EXTERIOR of the can. That connection point can be water-proofed in many differing ways. Covered with high temperature silicone, paint on water-proof epoxy, spray on foam insulation that comes in aerosol paint can containers, etc., etc., etc.

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #3555054 - 12/28/04 10:43 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Nice write up agar, thanks for sharing it.
Also wanted to let everybody know about a similar project that fearless1 did by just using a hotwater heater with the top removed. No wiring to bother with. He posted it at thenook, but the pics are now missing. Link to thread:
http://forum.thenook.org/index.php?showtopic=14381&hl=water+heater

Personally I'd probably build one to the dimensions I desired as agar describes, but just using a hotwater heater may be more apealing to some.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: mycofile]
    #3555194 - 12/28/04 11:14 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This is a rad design, thanks for the tips.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: mycofile]
    #3555674 - 12/29/04 01:58 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If you happen to have a Thermolyne Hot Plate (industrial lab grade), it heats to a constant 700F. My foaf bought this one to use with a timer under his AA 941.

If you carefully place bricks, with shim's to the right height so you can set a metal trash can SOLIDLY on top them & the Thermolyne heating under the can & it's heating element contacts the cans bottom, presto - you got a killer trash can water heater -- also.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3555708 - 12/29/04 02:35 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If it turns down to 100 degrees why do you need the timer? Is 100degrees even too hot? I know it doesnt take much to hold pressure once pressurized in my PC but I dont know how hot low is on my stove burner, or high for that matter..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG DADDY WET PASTURIZING MACHINE: [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3555796 - 12/29/04 03:06 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You don't need a "timer" in either case. With a hot water tank heating element, installed in a can, you could just unplug the puppy, any time you want.

With the hot plate, you turn it UP to high - to get to 160F, ASAP... then turn dial down - to maintain 160F..... as long as you want.

--------------------

Offlinejeff01
cultivator
    #3563390 - 12/30/04 10:32 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

looks nice

--------------------
"impossible to walk in this muck"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate