Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineleegol_eyes
dazed n'confused
Stalled, casing won't colonize?!
    #3544013 - 12/26/04 01:22 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, the other day my buddy tried to case some colonized jar substrate (Mazatec), he broke it up and put it under a couple inchs of pasturized dung/straw after about week and a half he saw no growth emerging so decided to see how far the mycelium had made it, as he spooned cow shit out of his yet uncased casing he got to the bottom to find no growth had occured, the broken up pieces of colonized grain were still there but they had not colonized anymore... Why could this be? THe temps were right and the moisture of the substrate was also thought to be right. So he left a little cow shit barely covering the chunks of substrate, some even poking through, and waited a couple days to see if that would at least colonize. 2 days later, absolutely nothing. Any ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedjred

Re: Stalled, casing won't colonize?! [Re: leegol_eyes]
    #3544045 - 12/26/04 01:36 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i had a few casings go like that they just never took off,then they got cobweb mold so i dumped the shit..but this time around i have sucess..i had an issue also with straw i pasutrized the myc just never grew. i threw in some grains that colonized..only anwser i can say is try try try again.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Stalled, casing won't colonize?! [Re: djred]
    #3544372 - 12/26/04 04:21 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well moisture content can effect growth and knowing the correct moisture content can be difficult sometimes. You should be able to squeeze out a couple drops of water thats perfect IMO. Also I like using a straw rich formula which creates better aeration of the substrate. What is the temp you have it at BTW? There should still be some growth. I recommend pasturizing screened dung, then moisten it, cover it and pasteurizes it in the oven. Then mix that with pasteurized straw and inoculate it with the colonized grain not layering but mixing in throughly. Keep it covered for the most part and uncover once or twice a day for a brief period of time. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation