Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

fish and game
    #3543491 - 12/26/04 02:07 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

how do the folks here feel about fish and game regulations and their associated regulatory agencies?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: fish and game [Re: ]
    #3543517 - 12/26/04 02:16 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i dont like having my captive bred animals being checked and held for little to no reason and paying for it.  i dont know enough about the US hunting and that to comment on the rest.  but the border things put a sour taste in my mouth :smirk:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
Re: fish and game [Re: kadakuda]
    #3543865 - 12/26/04 11:29 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

In Michigan, snagging will get you a 500-800 dollar ticket from the DNR. Its a little much I'd have to say.

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
Re: fish and game [Re: FrankieJustTrypt]
    #3543919 - 12/26/04 12:18 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The govt doesn't own the fish or fowl or any other animal. I am not about to pay them for allowing me to provide for my family.
I have never owned a huting/fishing license.
I never take more then I need.
I don't kill an animal unless it will be eaten.
I had a few run-ins with a local game warden, years ago. After expaining my position, he leaves me alone.

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: fish and game [Re: cricket]
    #3543923 - 12/26/04 12:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

how do the folks here feel about fish and game regulations and their associated regulatory agencies?

I would guess that depends on whose land you are hunting or fishing.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #3543941 - 12/26/04 12:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:

I like em and Im all for em...

They do MUCH more than just make and enforce laws.  It only costs a few bucks to hunt or fish and that money goes to the general budget which is used in the fisheries that restock lakes, restoration projects which rebuild sevcerly eroded stream walls and build breeding habitats for salmon and other fish.  It also goes towards research and pay s for field studies so that we dont get out of controll and kill off all our wildlife and destroy our planet...

:thumbup: to fish and game.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #3544010 - 12/26/04 01:20 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I dont see a problem with the regulations. Ive seen people come to the streams up here in North GA and completely outfish them. Its pretty pathetic. We should have these regulations so future generations have the ability to fish or hunt in our forests.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: fish and game [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #3544027 - 12/26/04 01:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:
I dont see a problem with the regulations. Ive seen people come to the streams up here in North GA and completely outfish them. Its pretty pathetic.

Yep. My family has some land up in Gilmer county and we own part of a stream that used to be teaming with fish, but no one has seen or caught a fish in that stream in about a year. It is pretty sad.

I do not have a problem with fish and game because the animals don't just live on your property. If you overfish your part of a steam it can affect the entire stream even the parts you do not own. I don't think that fish and game should have any say if you have a private lake or fenced in land though.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: fish and game [Re: z@z.com]
    #3544348 - 12/26/04 04:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm all for it too.

I don't mind payong a little money so that game wardens can protect our natural resouces from people who would destroy them given a chance.

Offlinecb9fl
Re: fish and game [Re: z@z.com]
    #3544388 - 12/26/04 04:27 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think that fish and game should have any say if you have a private lake or fenced in land though.

What about a corporation. If a corporation owns 5 acres of land should Fish and Game have any say in what happens on their private land? What about if a corporation ownes 50 acres or 500 acres or 50,000 acres?

At what point does privately owned land become a public concern?

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3544605 - 12/26/04 06:06 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Like most things it's a split matter. I personally hunt and fish and pay the small pitance that I need to so I may do so legally. I eat all of the meat and fish, grind the bones for my compost heap, and keep as much skin as I can though I honestly really never use it. I know WCO's (Wildlife Conservation Officers) that do a wonderful job of scraping up the roadkill, tracking the deer herds and ensuring that noone is hunting illegally.

On the other hand, I don't see why it's really the governments job to do some of these things. Does a hunter using a spotlight at night to shoot a deer really have more of a gigantic advantage than the hunter hiding in a deer stand to blast a deer with a 30-.06? Is it really that bad if someone needs more meat than I do but can't afford another few tags and they take more than they are "allowed"?

Another issue that could be solved if only everyone were an ethical human being.

I live near the border of my state and another. My hunting license for my state is about 50$ with the extra tags that I purchase (2 antlerless, 2 antlered). This really is an excellent price when looking at it from a meat:dollar spent ratio. However, to cross the border and hunt in Maryland, my license would be a few hundred dollars. I suppose thats fine since I don't pay MD taxes.

My biggest issue is the issue of private land hunting. If I own the land I should be able to hunt it how I want and when I want. It's my land. Some may say that the deer that live on the land aren't mine and to that I'd say horseshit. I put out pickup-trucks filled with apples in the fields each year near my house and I clear them of briars and such as needed. I ensure that their are good spots for the deer to live and I exert my ownership forcefully if I find someone hunting my land without permission. If the deer is eating "my tree", drinking from "my stream", and eating the food that I put out for them, I should be able to manage the 2-3 deer herds that live on my property as I see fit.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Offlinecb9fl
Re: fish and game [Re: SoopaX]
    #3544651 - 12/26/04 06:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If I own the land I should be able to hunt it how I want and when I want. It's my land. Some may say that the deer that live on the land aren't mine and to that I'd say horseshit. I put out pickup-trucks filled with apples in the fields each year near my house and I clear them of briars and such as needed. I ensure that their are good spots for the deer to live and I exert my ownership forcefully if I find someone hunting my land without permission. If the deer is eating "my tree", drinking from "my stream", and eating the food that I put out for them, I should be able to manage the 2-3 deer herds that live on my property as I see fit.

What would you do if the deer that you feed and, it would appear, care for ended up on your neighbor's property. Suppose your neighbor doesn't care for the animals he hunts in any way. Would you be upset if the deer you spent time feeding and caring for were shot by him with no reimbursement to you? If he shot adult and child alike (I don't know the proper terminology for a deer's life cycle) do you feel that should be his right?

--------------------

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: fish and game [Re: SoopaX]
    #3545998 - 12/27/04 12:21 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

My biggest issue is the issue of private land hunting. If I own the land I should be able to hunt it how I want and when I want. It's my land. Some may say that the deer that live on the land aren't mine and to that I'd say horseshit. I put out pickup-trucks filled with apples in the fields each year near my house and I clear them of briars and such as needed. I ensure that their are good spots for the deer to live and I exert my ownership forcefully if I find someone hunting my land without permission. If the deer is eating "my tree", drinking from "my stream", and eating the food that I put out for them, I should be able to manage the 2-3 deer herds that live on my property as I see fit.

Maybe then you should put up a fence around your property, breed the deer, raise them and then shoot them...
Just because a wild animal strays onto your land dont mean that its your right to shoot it..

With your argument you should be able to shoot people who cross your back yard.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3546890 - 12/27/04 05:56 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

> how do the folks here feel about fish and game regulations and their associated regulatory agencies?

This actually hits very home for me. I live on an island where a lot of people making their income from fishing. I also do a lot of scuba diving and I see the impact of their fishing. About five years ago we got a small area designated as a no fishing zone. This last year we finally have seen an increase in marine life within the sanctuary. On a dive within the sanctuary I might spot ten to fifteen large lobsters. Outside the sanctuary I am lucky to find even one.

The fishermen complain because they can't fish in the sanctuary and that there aren't enough fish elsewhere for them to earn a living. What they don't understand, or are unwilling to see, is that they are the cause of the problem. Allowing them to fish in the sanctuary would deplete it within a few months leaving them with the same problem, and the rest of us with nothing to look at while diving.

Currently, they are trying to pass laws that would restrict 30% of the waters from fishing in this area. I am not sure how I feel about it yet. The fishermen claim that it will destroy them. They might be right. At the same time, without the restrictions, the fishermen will destory themselves anyway.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: fish and game [Re: cb9fl]
    #3547913 - 12/27/04 01:51 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
What would you do if the deer that you feed and, it would appear, care for ended up on your neighbor's property.

I'm sure that they do, I don't fence the area in. The animals are free to wander where they please.
Quote:

Suppose your neighbor doesn't care for the animals he hunts in any way. Would you be upset if the deer you spent time feeding and caring for were shot by him with no reimbursement to you? If he shot adult and child alike (I don't know the proper terminology for a deer's life cycle) do you feel that should be his right?

If he needs the meat and was unable to provide it any other way, then yes, I'd be supportive of him doing so. People need to eat. Why pay for some horomone-bombed beef from a ranch that makes a killing off it when you have free range animals walking through your back yard.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Ranch Dressing

General Interest >> Political Discussion