Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinethelion
abilify, and effexor...what do you think?
    #3536667 - 12/23/04 04:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have been on abilify for some time and it gives me certain anxiety. Now my doctor wants to try some effexor with the abilify. Does any have any experience to share with the effoxor or abilify :confused:

Edited by thelion (12/23/04 04:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: abilify, and effexor...what do you think? [Re: thelion]
    #3536717 - 12/23/04 05:06 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.healthyplace.com/medications/abilify.asp

http://www.medicinenet.com/aripiprazole/article.htm

I would never, ever, ever rely on an anti-psychotic or any medication. It's a spiritual issue that needs to be dealt with spiritually first and foremost, imo.

Consider visiting a well-established HERBALIST in your area (who is probably a chiropractor as well). Herbs are natural and with the right herbalist you may find yourself in a far better situation that you currently expect.

It can be a little expensive but even one visit may get you on the right path. Make sure it 'feels' ok when you get in the office.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: abilify, and effexor...what do you think? [Re: World Spirit]
    #3537637 - 12/23/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Anxiety's the worst. Listen to the people on these forums, they'll tell you that the best thing is to overcome your problems without the aid of pharms. They're not too kind on your body, and you'll have to get off of them some day unless you want to be a hopeless addict.

My suggestion is to fill a perscription for some anti-anxiety pills if you're able to. You'll have them for reassurance mostly, don't use them very often at all. If things ever get too tough and you can't work it out in your mind, you have something to fall back on. It should be enough reassurance that over time, you won't have to use them. Take care and good luck. It's really good that you've already taken the initiative to research into this, very good. Hopefully someone else can shed a little more light on the issue, as I haven't been perscribed those particular drugs. :sun:

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

InvisibleMobiusStripper
FamKitten

Re: abilify, and effexor...what do you think? [Re: thelion]
    #3538048 - 12/24/04 01:18 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have been on both of these medications at the same time over a year ago and I had a very bad time with the Abilify. It made me gain about 30 lb.s and feel very very weak which I noticed the most when I was in dance class and my legs didnt feel right.. I stayed on it for about 5 months but eventually I just got tired of how I was feeling and when it got to a more serious stage and I was feeling extremely weak and fatigued all the time I stopped taking the abilify. I immediately lost all the weight I had gained and got back to my original 105 lb.s, and started feeling 100% better.

I got switched around to lamictol and effexor immediately after, which I didn't stop taking until approximately 2 weeks ago. The reason I stopped taking them is because my mood swings would hit hard on every 20-26 hours, right when my lamictol started to wear off, I stopped taking the lamictol and felt much better, a week later I stopped taking the effexor and about 5 days after that I came off the effexor hard. I was able to get over that initial withdrawl and though it is a much different feeling to be with out meds and have to control the way my brain chemistry reacts, I much prefer it.

I am still not sure if being off meds is going to work for me yet. It has been challenging in some ways so far and much nicer in others, however my desire is to be with out these meds once and for all. They are so hard on your body and they only work right for some people because body and brain chemistry varies from person to person. These meds can fuck up your mood just as easily as they can help it in some cases, and you will most likely need to soon start taking a laxitive with your meds each morning to counteract the constipation that they cause.
We are all purely human and we are all confused, some more then others, and some in different stages.. and it is not easy for anyone to handle their insecureties and emotional issues, but medication should only be used as a temporary solution in my opinion, or in an extreme case. Like I said, I am still not 100% on wether being medication free is going to be the right solution for me, but I think it deserves a fair shot because dealing with the shit that pharms cause is a lot worse in some cases than figuring out whats going on with you and learning how to deal with your emotions. I think may be I just need to be off my meds and dig through my mind and figure out why I feel the way I do. I think if I can successfully work through the things going on in my head and just be honest with myself it might yield the best results.
If you really want to get better, and you really want to confront the things going on in your head straight on, you need to dedicate a lot of your time to understanding how you feel off the meds and take some time to analyze the overwhelming emotions you have, or whatever it is that got you put on medication in the first place. It isn't easy at all! But I think it is going to be worth the amount of work you put in it. (thats what I am hoping)

If you think you are better off just staying on your meds that is fine. I stayed on mine from ages 11-18... I guess I just wasnt ready to figure myself and my mood swings out yet, I finally came to a fork in the road though, and I couldnt stand to switch meds again. after being on a long list of antipsychotics, antidepressants, and mood stabalizers, switching to yet another med was the last thing I wanted to do. It is fine to be dependant on meds for a while if you feel you must, because you will not be ready to take on your mind until you are really willing to do it. But you will start to appreciate the simple things that meds take from you..

Some things I really like about not taking meds.
I can shit with out laxitives .
I can actually dream when I sleep.

Some things I really disliked about taking meds..
lactating
constipation
reduced or increased appetite all the time
weight gain
restless legs
twitching
fatigue
extreme sedation when I needed to get shit done
and all the damage I dont know about now that all my internal organs do..
::hugs her liver and kidneys::

Just keep your head up and pay attention to your body and your emotions and how the medication makes you feel. Observation is important.

--------------------

Invisiblevivid
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Berkeley, California
Re: abilify, and effexor...what do you think? [Re: MobiusStripper]
    #3541228 - 12/25/04 12:30 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Enter with all due respect, if you would never take psychiatric drugs, dont comment on them. Some people DO need them, maybe not forever, but to stabilize themselves and let them feel under control for a while.

I was on effexor for about a year or so I"m guessing.. and it is not shit that you want to be on at all.. especially if you are a male. I had more side effects than most i suppose, but it totally fucked up my sex drive, and sexual functioning while i was on it and for a little while afterwards not to mention me not bieng able to sleep, or be alert etc etc... so if you can, try to avoid taking effexor, please do.

If you feel you need it, take it for a little while and get on your feet and then get off of it.

Offlinethelion
Re: abilify, and effexor...what do you think? [Re: vivid]
    #3542125 - 12/25/04 12:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks guys. This has really helped. I think I will stick with tthe abilify and drop the effexor. I already started to feel worse on the effexor after one night of taking it. The abilify seems to keep me under control although I do not like some of the side effects. For instance just typing this is a great chore. I feel with the abilify that I have anxiety (like wanting to jump out of my skin) and laziness lack of motivation at the same time. It sucks. I hate these drugs. And I hate my phyciatrist. But at this point I have no choice. I am a monster without some kind of drug to keep me from being angry. I am not so sure why I am the angry young man, but I know that I am, and sometimes it plays to my advantage and sometimes it doesnt.

I think I still need something for the anxiety but the efexor just doesnt seem like the drug to do it at this point. Any recommendations on something to clam me down make me just concetrate on one thing at a time insstead of taking on the whole world at once? My thoughts seem to fly to fast and it gets me depressed.

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder