Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroominator

Loc: Earth
Mushroom Simulator
    #353970 - 07/12/01 11:34 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Not sure if this is the right topic...buy I'm thinking about working on a 'game' as a summer project for myself. This 'game' will be a Mushroom Cultivator Simulator. It will go by Internal PC clock, so will be as real as it gets without actually doing anything illegal.

This idea just popped into my head about 10 minutes ago, so it's not very well planned out yet.

First, you'll have a budget. With a restricted amount of money you'd need to buy your supplies. You'd have plenty of choices - you might make the right ones, you might make the wrong ones. You can go shopping at any point in the game, so you don't need to buy terrarium supplies, etc. all on day 1.

You'd get money by selling, of course. Then you can get more expensive equipment. Later versions will include Auzur's, Pan Cyans, Agar cultures, etc., but for now I'm keeping it simple. You will be able to choose your strain, etc. You'll be able to choose what kind of substrate you'll use, the jars you'll use, how many CC's per jar, etc.

You'll also have control over light, and all the normal day-to-day chores of making these things grow. Contamination will be somewhat random...but you'll be able to buy lysol or whatever most likely.

Right now nothing's actually official, but I'd like to hear some input from you guys. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

"This delightful and singular state... This acuteness of thought, this enthusiasm of the senses and the spirit must have appeared to man through the ages as the first blessing"

--------------------
"This delightful and singular state... This acuteness of thought, this enthusiasm of the senses and the spirit must have appeared to man through the ages as the first blessing."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebody
Stranger
Loc: IL
Re: Mushroom Simulator [Re: Shroominator]
    #353978 - 07/13/01 12:02 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

That's kind of like making a golf video game where all you do is take practice swings. I know some people here enjoy the little hobby of mycology and like putting in all that time and effort and enjoy every little bit of each to see what pans out but I think I'm in the majority when I say that I endure the work in order to get the finished product. And I know that everyone will admit that it's the shrooms that started them out in the first place, not their green (brown?) thumbs. When I saw your topic I thought that you were going to simulate shrooming itself. That would be sweet. The growing process not as interesting. Or, interesting at all really. Hence the golf practice swing analogy. Go with the other idea. Simulate a trip. Let people play the real game. That's why we all "practice." It's not for the love of canning jars. It's the game.

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #353982 - 07/13/01 12:36 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Thats a neat idea, I also always thought a Mushroom hunting simulator would be a cool game :smile: .....

You could pick the wrong mushroom and lose some hit points, certain mushrooms would kill you. Edible ones make your health go up, and magic ones give you more strength and power :smile:

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #354011 - 07/13/01 01:46 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe a game based completely on mushroom cultivation/an or hunting isn't such a hot idea, but perhaps a game with a different central focus and hunting or cultivation tied directly into the action. Like perhaps a villager is chosen by the village shaman to fight off a legion of evil doers with demons on their side, that are attacking and pillaging(sp?) the village. The villager must use magick mushrooms to alter his mind enough to battle the evil spirits and use medicinal shrooms to heal wounds and regain strength. As he progresses through the game he gains knowledge on cultivating the mushies himself and when he gains the knowledge he can grow his own supply in a cave somewhere(not it real time of course) then and only then he can defeat the main evil doer himself and rid the countryside of his evil deads. Shitty storyline, but you get the picture.

I like the cultivation part of it all as well as the end product, but to go through all the hardwork and time on a computer and not reap the benefits of the reward, I just don't think I could get into it, or many others for that same reason. I'm not trying to cut you down or anything its a shroom game is a great idea, it just needs to be tweaked a little for more enjoyment.

I don't care about jack shit, I just wanna pick my nose!!!
------Jonny Socko

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineShroominator

Re: Mushroom Simulator [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #354077 - 07/13/01 07:39 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Well when I said 'game', I didn't mean a game that kept you on the edge of your seat for hours a day. I meant something that you check in on for a minute or so every day to make sure there's nothing wrong, and if there is, to fix it the best you can. I guess you guys aren't as interested as I thought you would be ;-)

Oh yeah...I know nothing about DirectX programming, so the 'trip simulator' isnt' really something I could do. I was thinking more along the lines of "Highgrow", check that out...

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10042-100-2645382.html?tag=st.dl.10000-103-1.lst-7-4.2645382

"This delightful and singular state... This acuteness of thought, this enthusiasm of the senses and the spirit must have appeared to man through the ages as the first blessing"

--------------------
"This delightful and singular state... This acuteness of thought, this enthusiasm of the senses and the spirit must have appeared to man through the ages as the first blessing."

Offlineadt
Loc: west coast USA
    #354117 - 07/13/01 09:20 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

i thought it sounded like a fairly interesting idea (for somebody who is interested in the subject).

the part that turned me off was when you said you would make money by selling. yuk. all of a sudden, the cute little hobby game started to sound like a drug dealer game. yuk.

my 2 cents.

peace out, much respect,
a

"Heaven is in a cow's ass." -BH

--------------------
"Heaven is in a cow's ass." -BH

OfflineMattyB
enthusiast
    #354123 - 07/13/01 09:25 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Get rid of the drug dealing aspect. This isn't a forum for promoting dealing, even if it's just a computer game.

OfflineShroominator

Re: Mushroom Simulator [Re: MattyB]
    #354180 - 07/13/01 11:15 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

You two are definately right about that. I just can't think of any other ways that you could get money to get better supplies. I guess money could be awarded like a reward based on the health and status of the mushies. I'm more interested in the growing aspect of it than anything else, which is why it's not really a "game" persay (sp?), but a simulator. It would be much easier for me just to focus on the cultivation, as opposed to fighting enemies and finding shrooms. Now that I think it, later versions might have a mushroom hunting feature where you can collect new species. I guess I'll get started on that right now.

Thanks for your suggestions you guys...keep em' comming! :-)

--------------------

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Loc: california, orange
    #354187 - 07/13/01 11:36 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

if you made a game like that youd get random house checkings by detectives for life!! just think, you made a game and its about growing shrooms, and to play you have to know everything about them. and if the cops found anyone who had this game they would have a right to search the persons house and probably take their supplies even if you had no fungus cultivating at the time. it does look like a really fun game, but if you played it with some friends then one person would always win because hed always have more knowlegde over the subject. when and if you have a demo id really like to play. you should also have a stoner friend in the game that was to watch everything when you go on vacation or something. when one shroom grows (if you happen to go on the trip at the right time) he eats it and ruins everything when hes tripping because he thinks thyre evil. you should have all the strains available at once so the people that play and think thyre some shroom genius can try azures or something and waste all their time and money and will have to become hookers. you should also have guns in the game so you can shoot down any cops that try to ruin yuore crop.

Why am i surrounded by idiots???

--------------------
the little kridders of nature; they dont know that thyre ugly!

OfflineShroominator

Re: Mushroom Simulator [Re: aluminum_can]
    #354200 - 07/13/01 11:59 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Detectives checking my house? I know nothing about mushrooms...in fact, I've been reading the Shroomery for all the information needed. I've just been getting ideas, like checking Ryche Hawk's site for strain names, checking the Shroomery for substrate 'recipes', etc. You don't really need to know a thing about them to make the game, you just need to copy information and program it.

Now that that's outta the way, I do like your suggestion. Still nothing's official, I've just been getting ideas and getting the information needed.

Instead of money to buy supplies, I think I'm going to go on a 'point system'. A pressure cooker will cost alot more points than a regular pot to steam boil, ya know? You'd get points every day for the health of the shrooms. Something like that.

You'd probably be able to grow them without knowing a thing about mycology, just by plain luck.

*edit*
If anyone seriously thinks the idea isn't very legally smart, please PM me or post...I'm no lawyer.
*edit*

Edited by Shroominator on 07/13/01 01:15 PM.

--------------------

OfflineShroominator

Re: Mushroom Simulator [Re: aluminum_can]
    #354204 - 07/13/01 12:07 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

One more thing...are the police gonna arrest you for playing Doom? Are the programmers for ID Software going to go around witch chainsaws and murder people? Are the players going to? Freedom of Speech and Freedom of expression my friend. I happen to like programming, and since this IS the Shroomery, I thought I'd get some nice ideas. I got the idea from playing Highgrow. Does me playing Highgrow make me a marijuana cultivator? No, I wouldn't know the first thing about the PH of soil and all that stuff, I just played the game, and through luck, might get a small bush or something (IN THE ***GAME***).

Now that's enough of that. If anyone has an idea or something, feel free to post :-)

--------------------

OfflineTheMagicalMushi
Loc: Canada
    #354205 - 07/13/01 12:12 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

This sounds like it would be an awesome program to have on your computer.... and it could help inexperienced growers learn more and such. I've always wanted to make a mod for HalfLife called DrugLife, where you can go mushroom hunting and trip off the mush, and smoke some bud and that. But i don't have the knowledge. What were you planning on using as an engine for the game? or were you just gonna start from scratch?

"Heh heh... mule"
- Homer Simpson

--------------------
"The closest thing to a lemon around here is that lemon shaped rock... wait a minute, theres a lemon behind that rock!"
- Bart Simpson

OfflineShroominator

Re: Mushroom Simulator [Re: TheMagicalMushi]
    #354213 - 07/13/01 12:21 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I'm probably going to start from scratch. It's not going to be a 3D walk around game or anything. You'll just be able to make your own decisions, and things could go bad, or could go good. It's not something you'd sit there for hours watching (unless you like to watch jars slowly colonize), but something that would run by its self, and you check the status of it every day or so. Might have a thing where if you can't afford the air pumps and whatnot, you would have to air fan every day. If you don't have the points to buy a light that can turn by itsself at certain times, you'd have to open the program and turn the light on, then exit. I think you get the point.

--------------------

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #354225 - 07/13/01 12:52 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like a cool game. I'd like to try the beta versions when your ready. I'm pretty sure your safe legaly, Nintendo was never sued by the Plumbers Union or investigated by the DEA for the inclusion of all those magical power giving mushrooms in Mario Brothers.
A suggestion... since every growers lifestyle is different you could make it so initial parameters could be set by the player to provide the basis for income and growing methods.

eg.
1. Lowlife unemployed drug dealer (little or no cash)
2. Student living at home/campus (scrimping from his/her allowance)
3. Working stiff (economy minded but has coin)
4. Professional Ex flowerchild (unlimited cash and desire)

Have fun with it.

Luke, you are my Son... Come to the Darkside... where my FSR mycelium grows kickass !!

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #354320 - 07/13/01 04:17 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I think it would be a cool game. If you were able to incorporate it into the users tesk top/menubar it would make a cool "omigachi"(sp?) type game. Maybe you could totaly get rid of the money aspect and change it to points which are granted after a certain gram ratio. The more care a person gives to his/her jar(s)/crop(s) the more points this person aquires. These points can be used to aquire more supplies. Just a couple of ideas. peace

"A Wise One like me should not charge for her services....The one who charges is a liar. The wise one is born to cure, not to do business with her knowledge."-Maria Sabina

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: Mushroom Simulator [Re: BrownPastures]
    #354705 - 07/14/01 01:39 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, id definitly like to try it out too when its ready.

You approach the turnstiles and know
that when you get there you have to give
the man two dollars or he won't let you
inside but when you get there everything
goes wrong.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures