Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Hericium- disgusting but interesting
    #3538032 - 12/24/04 03:11 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Here are a few pictures of lion's mane that's living up to that name. It's one I cloned from an older fruit found in Washington Park, Portland, Oregon (roadside). I've been battling contamination because I've been trying to clean it up without agar plates. I thought I had done it for these jars but they contaminated anyway- my mistake- so I'll be doing the agar isolation after all. Just didn't have any agar before, when I started this.

I put these jars away in a box with other contaminated jars, intending to PC them before dumping- then I found this happening. The Hericium is eatingthe mold. Areas that were heavily molded before are now completely grown over with mycelium. Even though the jars have dried out badly, they are still fruiting. These jars were almost all mold a few weeks ago (yeah, I had forgotten them), with a few spots of mycelium growing here and there. I've been watching them for a while again, but didn't note when I pulled them out of the "biohazard" box. A week or two I think. The fruits were barely starting between a few grains then.

Some spots are still grey with mold, but the lions mane gets into it from inside the colony, growing wispy mycelium that seems to kill or slow the mold enough that the heavier mycelium can surround it and take over.

The big area of almost clean rye in the first picture is in the middle of the process- the obvious mold has almost disappeared, and the lion's mane is invading the area. The second picture is another part of the same jar, where the mycelium is almost finished overtaking the previously molded area, only spotty areas of mold left against the glass.

The second jar has more green mold (I know, bad color photo, but it is green), you can see it's not as far along in killing it off. It's also making many tiny almost-fruitbodies between the grains, right over where it has killed the molds.

The light pinkish-brown areas in the light mycelium are just because of age and dryness.

It seems to have an easier time 'digesting' black mold. The green molds are shrinking, but not disappearing as quickly.

It's a fun battle to watch, in a twisted slow motion way.

I'll be tossing the jars of course, after I get some clean-looking mycelium started on agar. I thought you might enjoy seeing a mushroom that fights back against mold, and wins.

These are wide mouth pint jars, rye grain, and covered only with double-layered Tyvek and rings. They were inoculated by blenderized fruitbody on 11/28/04. They were never heated, just grown at cool room temperature. I'm going to try some bits on cardboard and some in sawdust 'racing' tubes, as well as agar isolation.

Edit to add: Now you can see why I don't want to send any out yet!

Edited by Gyromitra (12/24/04 03:12 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Loc: Crooklyn, New York
Re: Hericium- disgusting but interesting [Re: Gyromitra]
    #3538514 - 12/24/04 11:01 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Those look awesome. Could it be mutated by the molds resulting in this, or is it natural?

--------------------
If what you seek is truth then drugs can not offer truth. Drugs can offer the truth of drugs.......Altered states. Truth is not an altered state of mind. ~ Big Headed Nice Guy Who Loves You And Your Dog

http://www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/Flash/Think_It_Over.swf

InvisibleSpeeker

Re: Hericium- disgusting but interesting [Re: iamgod]
    #3538557 - 12/24/04 11:20 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

iamgod said:
Those look awesome. Could it be mutated by the molds resulting in this, or is it natural?

mutation is perfectly natural phenomenon.. :3rd_eye:
lion's mane is a real fighter.. that is what i like about it.. besides the taste..
:sun:

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Re: Hericium- disgusting but interesting [Re: Speeker]
    #3539935 - 12/24/04 06:49 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

No mutations here, just growing normally- as much as possible around the molds anyway!

Definitely a fighter. I never knew that before now. Too bad I can't let those fruits grow and eat 'em. Oh well, next time.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms